The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We threw one of my front 15x7 Rota Slipstream wheels with 205 RA-1s on the scale versus the same size wheel in a Volk CE28 with Hoosiers and the Volks+Hoosiers were 5lbs lighter. That's a lot. IIRC the Rota's were 30 (31lbs?) with the RA-1 and the Volk was 25. And just for reference the Volk front wheel in 15x7 is 9lbs...

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've heard that, but these have been great for me. I needed a super cheap set of wheels to learn how to drive on that I could beat up on and not worry -they've been troopers. Far more durable than the delicate wheels I had on before and all four where the same price as one of my old forged wheels. They are heavy, but have been solid. Lighter wheels are going on soon...

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
At the shop there are now unmounted, RACS(16/17), 15/16 CE28 Volks,soon to be 16/17 TE37 Volks, Stock LSS wheels, 15/16 Rota Slipstreams(I'll bring mine), 16/17 Rota Torques.

Going to be putting to gether a list of actual weights for all of these.

Some of the growing collection:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
ZJ-Please post the location of your shop and hours that you are not there.

·
Registered
167 Posts
We threw one of my front 15x7 Rota Slipstream wheels with 205 RA-1s on the scale versus the same size wheel in a Volk CE28 with Hoosiers and the Volks+Hoosiers were 5lbs lighter. That's a lot. IIRC the Rota's were 30 (31lbs?) with the RA-1 and the Volk was 25. And just for reference the Volk front wheel in 15x7 is 9lbs...
I wonder what the difference is between the tires...is that all wheel difference or is some of the delta in the tires?

Gary

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
ZJ-Please post the location of your shop and hours that you are not there.
:rolleyes: Primary Suspect

I'm currently running Work Emotion CR-Kai's w/ RT615's (F 215/R 235) on them. I have a set of CE28N's in the mail and R1R's (F 205/R 235) tires sitting here waiting for them. I've calculated that this combo will knock off 28.5lbs of rotating / unsprung weight... Can't wait for them to get here.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Remember with lightweight rims the tires will end up weighing more than the rims. It could just be the hoosier's considering they are straight up race tires they might be lighter in combination with the CE's being a bit lighter. Just to give you an idea I weighed my RE01R's and fronts were 8kg and rears were 9.5kg's, that's alot more than the rims weigh.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Hoosiers weigh a lot less than RA'1's, if I remember correctly. If I don't, then they aren't.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Kaz,
If you want I can bring my car over and we can compare your Rota + RA1s against my CE28s with R888s. When I switch from my 16/17 Rotas to my 15/16 Volks I could feel a huge difference acceleration. Of course my engine is N/A and with your power you may not feel as much. We could also just put my wheels on your car to see what difference it would make.

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
I wonder what the difference is between the tires...is that all wheel difference or is some of the delta in the tires?

Gary
There has to be some discrepancy in the the weight of the tires also.

The 15x7 Rota wheel weighs 12.5 lbs. It's 3.5 lbs heavier than the 9 lbs Kaz quoted for the Volk wheel.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Anyone know if SSR Comps 16/17 format will clear the lotus sport 4-pot calipers

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
except that they dont really have any of the wheels that fit these cars.
Hi AJ,

Did you ever weigh the wheels in your shop?

Still enjoying mine (yours)!

:up:

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
bump

Hey AJ, did you ever weigh those wheels?

:up:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts