The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arrived for my 9AM test drive appointment and asked about any recent deliveries. BTW, the old manager Nick doesn't work there anymore. New manager is Dwayne. Dwayne also advises that all new Elise orders will NOT be at MSRP but with a premium added. Those currently on the list are OK for MSRP sales.

Well, getting back to the story, Dwayne said there BRP car delivered late last night is to be a Giveaway prize for Trump Plaza in AC. I wonder how they got on the list? This car was being prepped so wan't available for viewing.

Test drive went great. Got an extended drive along the Blue Route and through some twisties on back roads. The car is intuitive like a racing cart! Understeer exists as stated but is manageable. Ride quality is excellent and very compliant. I was quite impressed.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's a picture from the test drive...

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One entry technique...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I'm told that using the windshield frame as support for entry or exit is not a preferred method. Just trying to help the longevity of your own vehicle when it is delivered!

Thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It probably isn't a good thing and another reason not to buy a demo car as everyone will be entering that way for the first time.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
nah, some of us already have little hard-to-get-into cars

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had a Fiat X/19 when I was a teen. That wasn't too bad getting in.

·
Registered
488 Posts
concern

That's too bad Nick's gone, he was ok to deal with.

I'm not surprised that Rothrock is now going with a premium above MSRP...you get what the market will bear.

I'm just hoping that they don't look at the 70 or so on the list at MSRP as something that needs to get worked around or minimized...that all of a sudden cars will be coming in that somehow are exempt/not list cars, rendering the list essentially meaningless.

I hope I'm not getting too worked up over nothing, gonna give Dwayne a call and hear the story straight from him.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Let me know what he says, I didn't get time to really talk with him about it. Since he volunteered all the information on the changes I feel he's been very open and doesn't have a hidden agenda. I too liked Nick and found him low pressure and easy to deal with.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Ahhhhhhhhh:D These pics make me happy I ordered BRP. That color looks stunning. And damn :eek: those pics really show how small the car is. Unless you're a giant!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Reckless Rob,
Congrats on getting a test drive at Rothrock, and thanks for the post. I had called Dwayne on Friday and asked to schedule a test drive for Saturday. He said the demo was in the shop due to some excessively enthusiastic test driving, and they were not scheduling any more test drives. I was welcome to look at / sit in the demo in the showroom, but no driving. I was all right with that, I wouldn't volunteer test drives to unknown yahoos in my brand new toys either. But I might be a little less understanding now since they provided a test drive only an hour and a half before I arrived (still, it's good you got to drive it even if I couldn't). Since they confirmed that I was on the wait list (#45 since early Jan.), there should have been no issue with being a deadbeat tirekicker. Oh, well, not a promising start to a long-term relationship. Can't wait to see what games might be played in the future.

·
Registered
488 Posts
no change, really

Spoke with Dwayne today, and according to him there really is no change from the list management process Nick explained when I put down my deposit earlier this summer.

The list is being honored as is, and he indicated that they are still taking orders at MSRP.

He said that if someone has actually ordered a car...ie the options have been selected and an actual order forwarded to the factory, and then upon delivery or sooner the person backs out, they consider THAT car available to someone at a premium.

He gave the example that sometimes they have people where they can't come to agreement on the value of a trade..he gave an example of a high end specialty car someone wanted to trade but they could not give what he wanted. He said that person's car would be considered to be sold at a premium by the dealer. He was also careful to say that it's at the dealer's discretion, and may NOT be done.

For example, let's say # 19 comes in and the buyer doesn't want it/can't buy it for whatever reason. If it's reasonably similar to the car # 20 has on order, they may offer it to him/her at MSRP as agreed.

He also said that they are honoring the list and not playing any games. The bottom line...I asked him that because I'm #62, does that mean that no matter who gets the previous 61 cars, I will definitely get 62.

He said that's the worst case scenario, that it is more likely I'll move up a bit as folks drop off.

Well, that's Dwayne's story, and I can live with that.

Sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Re: no change, really

kusheen said:
He said that if someone has actually ordered a car...ie the options have been selected and an actual order forwarded to the factory, and then upon delivery or sooner the person backs out, they consider THAT car available to someone at a premium.

He also said that they are honoring the list and not playing any games. The bottom line...I asked him that because I'm #62, does that mean that no matter who gets the previous 61 cars, I will definitely get 62.

AND...

He said that's the worst case scenario, that it is more likely I'll move up a bit as folks drop off.

Those three statements contradict each other, you should ask your dealer to move into politics, he'll probably do very good in there :)

What I read on those statements is.
Anyone that drops from the list, their car is fair game to sell at market value. Unless they can't sell it then thell consider selling at MSRP down the list. As a last option, they'll move people up since they can't milk the market anymore.

It's all good, and they are not lying, it's just confusing the way they say it :)

·
Registered
488 Posts
less than precise

I'm sorry if my explanation was a bit difficult to follow, but I do not think that the statements contradict each other at all.

Again, if I'm #62 on the list, there will be no machinations that will result from me getting anything other than car 62 at worst.

This dealer, and others are essentially seeing the list as two lists as far as selling the cars at a premium. There are those of us who have placed a deposit but not yet an order. If we drop, the whole line bumps up. Rothrock is not going to use that spot to offer it to someone not currently in line who is willing to get in line at a premium, nor are they going to use that spot to order a car for inventory to sell at a premium.

The shorter list of folks who HAVE ordered a real car. That car is coming to the dealership no matter what. If the buyer backs out, the dealer feels free to treat it as inventory, OR offer it to the next buyer in line, at their discretion.

Either way, the line is not disrupted.

How many angels CAN dance on the head of a pin, anyway?

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
That makes sense, I applaud your dealer :clap: :clap: :clap:

If people that drop and didn't place an order, then it's great to see that they'll bump the line up. :bow: :bow: :bow:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts