The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a set of Sector Ultradiscs on the Elise for nearly four years. Almost exclusive track duty. Used 'em mercilessly, relentlessly. Been through two sets of Pagid 14s and two sets of CL6. About 5000 miles.

Darn things still measure just under 26mm. Suggested replacement is at 24mm.

Question: does this seem reasonable, typical of your experience?

·
Registered
935 Posts
re: Rotor wear

I thnik a lot depends on pads.

In the old days Brembo kits would come with Ferodo pads. After 2 months track/street use the rotor had nothing left. you could feel a huge edge on the outside becase the pad did not touch the very outer edge of the rotor. The whole disk was worn down to the vanes and the pad was 1/4 gone. Ferodors used rotors as the wear part fo the system!

I would use PF pads and through the Ferodo's out. Rotor would last forever. Brakes would feel better.

Anton

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
Giro Disc is the maker of the rotors. I talked to one of the guys there about options for painting/coating my calipers a few years ago and he said one of the problems they had with their rotors was that they last so long sometimes they don't get repeat business. They have an excellent reputation.

San

·
Registered
327 Posts
Do they make the Ultradisc in the 308mm AP sizing? It doesnt specify any sizes on the website unfortunately...

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
Great.....One more thing to add to my list!

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts
I've got about 15,000 track miles on my AP Racing rotors and they are just about ready for replacement. I'm shocked at how long they have lasted. I will admit that I change the front pads every 5 to 6 track days (Metal Matrix pads) and never get so far down on worn pads that I have scored the rotors.

A friend of mine has a Seven for track use onky and has not changed his pads or rotors in almost 5 years. I can't remember the last time I saw him use his brakes ;-)

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I wouldn't be worried about not wearing rotors out fast enough!

These cars are light and don't use brakes that much. On the old Atom I only used 1 set of pads a race season, and 2 sets of tires (I'll admit that it would have been easier to win with new tires each race). Didn't have a lip on the rotors. On my dad's C5 Z06 its a different story, we can't keep rotors on the thing for more then 1.5 days without one cracking (we've tried solid blanks, vented, expensive, cheap etc), time for more ducting!

I think that any rotor will last a long time on the Lotus, the only issue I had when tracking my old Exige was with the stock rotors you would get a crack from hole to hole since they were drilled rotors.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
My cup discs from sector would only last a season and 3 sets of carbotech pads. The rotor would have more life but the heat generated from the carbotechs shines or glazes them and then become slippery. No way around it besides different pads but for my setup its a perfect balance using carbos and cup discs.

·
hello
300 Posts
I have ultra discs in the front, with rc5+ and also seem to last a very long time. 5 sets of pads thus far.

A couple quick notes, 1) make sure to check the inside and out rotor piece separately in case the wear is different (likely not much), 2) make sure to measure further down in the rotor, if you can do it near where the pistons are, to avoid any lip or uneven measurements (once, I thought I was at 25.9, but a new deeper caliper showed 25.4).

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks folks. I have a new set of Ultradiscs on hand. Replacing pads and fluid this evening. I can feel better about not placing new rotors too. Dreaded those darn little retention screws. Even with antisieze they are awful to get out!

Vehicle Car Automotive design Sports car Coupé

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Is there a recent thread about (stock?) rotor use and lifespan maybe with combined street/track use or more street use?

Just want to report that my original rotors I checked the thickness and were well over 25.4 on all 4 with 16000 Miles with 4 track days.

·
Registered
92 Posts
FYI the rear UltraDiscs may have a clearance problem with the stock pads. The larger hat on the rears may not clear the OE pads backing plates as the pads wear. I had noticed how small the clearance was when I installed new pads and the Ultra's and kept an eye on them thinking it was close but may not be a problem, but after a few thousand miles, I noticed very slight contact between the hat and pads. Grinding 3-4 mm off the backing plates seems to solve the problem. Only seems to happen w/ some cars though, Sector was aware of a few occurrences.

Otherwise, great long lasting rotors.

·
Premium Member
7,921 Posts
Ran my stock rear rotors for 8 yrs and ~30+ track days and they were still going strong. I believe my stock fronts made it ~6yrs and ~20track days before I saw some crazing I didn't lkie but I think they were still at ~25mm.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts