The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

ever since I got my car (2008 Elise NA) a year and a half ago I’ve had the occasional problem with it dying at idle. The idle when not stalling will typically dip and cause the car to shake. Today driving into work I had an issue with losing power. Twice at around 5000 RPM it felt like the power died out. Then I would have intermittent hiccups when accelerating at inconsistent rpm. Any ideas? I’m hoping it’s something easy like spark plugs or something.

Let me know!

·
Administrator
1,544 Posts
Have you hooked up OBD reader to check for codes?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a cheap OBD that didn’t pull any codes. Although I didn’t run it today with the power loss, just in the past but like I said I’ve had the idle issue since I got the car

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
I had idle problems and stalling when I had my 07 Exige tuned with BOE’s Rev 300 tune. How I solved it was I cleaned my MAF sensor, throttle body, and air filter. I think the dirty MAF was the main culprit, but since I was in the area I cleaned the filter and TB as well. Now I don’t have any more idle surges and I haven’t stalled since.

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
I feel like the internet always says to clean the MAF, and that's rarely the actual culprit BUT I just went through this with a buddy last weekend, and it actually was a flower bud stuck in the MAF...

What we learned from his car though is that the stock tune does not seem to reference the MAF reading as strongly at around 4k rpm, so it ran much smoother, at least under the light load of revving in neutral. Still worth checking though since he, too, did not have a relevant error code.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I had idle issues with my NA Elise and it was solved by replacing the gas cap. Seriously, these cars are super sensitive to having the proper gas cap. Another forum member here recognized that I did not have an OEM cap. Replacing it with the one below solved my idle issue. Cheapest auto fix ever. Good luck.

Amazon.com: Stant 10521 Locking Fuel Cap: Automotive

1 - 9 of 9 Posts