The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have owned my 05 Elise for about 2 weeks now and it has had no issues until yesterday. I went to crank it after it has been sitting for 2 days. It started up but was running really rough. It cleared up after about 10 seconds. It cranked fine the rest of the day. Then, this morning it did the same thing but not nearly as rough and cleared up after a couple seconds. I did wash the car before it sat for 2 days and am wondering if it had some water around the plugs etc. The first day it did this I didn't drive it much so it didn't heat up completely. Today I ran it pretty good so it would have gotten any water off the engine, so if that was it, it should be good now. I will find out tomorrow when I start her up. Anyway, anyone else experience this?

Thanks, John

·
Registered
398 Posts
I get the same thing in my 05, but instead of rough, it takes a good 7-8 seconds to crank. Only started doing this last month. Only does it when completely cold, if it hasn't been driven in 24 hours.

·
Registered
407 Posts
my 07 does it

been back at the dealer 3 times, and they explained that this is normal for the 1ZZ and 2ZZ engines, BS i say

however now the car needs a new throtle body under waranty. co-incidence? i think not.

·
Registered
381 Posts
There's a couple related threads on this in exige section. owners there had high revs at start as well as boggy idles.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Without actually hearing it personally, it's hard to know for sure, but these engines are really rough at start up. If you try to drive it right away will it bog and/or stall?

If so then it very well may be normal. I let the car idle for about 15 seconds before trying to move. Of note, when my rocker arm broke and my cam got worn it got A LOT worse. It became EXTREMELY rough and stay rough for about one minute.

·
Registered
311 Posts
While installing the BWR kit, I was a little too rough on the throttle control connector. It's a three wire white connector facing the firewall on the throttle body. I knocked one of the wires loose/out. It ran real rough but I also threw a CEL. Once I fixed it, no problems at all since.

Also, it does idle much better now that its Super Charged. Maybe you should just opt for this solution:D

·
Registered
691 Posts
I had this issue with my cam got worn and rocker arms broke as well. I would let it idle for several minutes but it would still run rough until it completely warmed up to 180 degrees. Your issue could be this. Are you getting a CEL?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Yes. My '06 also had this problem for the first few hundred miles until after the free ECU reflash and its first oil change. Let the car warm up for a few minutes until your reflash and then afterwards at least 30 seconds.

·
Registered
560 Posts
sounds like noormal stuff.
causes
ecu not that great on these cars cause weird idling-plug connections are iffy too
batterry gets drained from alarm so start up is harder
maybe could use some high quality iridium spark plugs

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
TADTS to an extent, although since my battery went dead i'm getting a boggy idle also. I think I'm going to either reset the ECU or get it down to the dealer for a reflash with the lastest software package.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
My 06 Exige had a rough start for a few months. It went away as as oddly as it started.
Theoretically the ECU should "learn" proper idling after a while, although i dont' drive mine enough so its becoming a nuisance. However somtimes people experience strange idling for what seems to be no reason at all, and a quick reset seems to take care of it. I've just chalked mine up to my dead battery since I know thats one particular cause for it.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Cleaning the throttle body and resetting the idle with the idle set screw often clears up the behavior you are reporting. It did for my '05. It is easy to do, so is worth a try.

To clean the throttle body, get a spray can of throttle body cleaner (about $3) and a thin, lint free rag. Pull the air intake hose off the throttle body and thoroughly spray and wipe the inside. I also use it to clean off the outside (as in the can's instructions). I then let it sit for a while with the butterfly valve propped open just to let the cleaner liquid evaporate. It will take a little extra cranking to get it started the first time after cleaning due to some cleaning fumes still in the intake manifold, but after that it should be fine. After I cleaned mine, my idle increased by a few hundred RPM as compared to before, and I had to reset it lower with the idle set screw.

I don't trust the ECU to maintain idle if the idle set screw is set too low. The ECU has to hunt for the right idle speed. The set screw is there to set a minimum throttle for idle, and the ECU is allowed to increase the RPM beyond the minimum the set screw dictates. If you experience a lot of engine bogging at idle, go through the idle adjustment procedure. If that was the problem, then the idle should improve.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the info guys. I am not getting a cel. I had the car delivered while I was out of the country and it sat for approx 3 weeks without being cranked, but the battery was not dead. It was a little rough for a few seconds when it started. Since then I started no problem for about 1 week, then this started. It is only when cold as others have experienced. I imagine an ecu reset is a good idea. I had to do this often on my Esprit. I assume it is just a matter of unplugging the battery for 30 min or so? Is there another way so I don't have to disconnect the battery?

Thanks, John

·
Registered
685 Posts
My Elise has always been like that - it needs acouple of throttle blips to clear it out, then it settles down fine. It's like the starting mixture is a tad too rich.

·
Registered
17 Posts
A few things to know about hard start or rough runing

It can be a few things first and for most make sure you have the latest software for the ecu lotus came out with updates for them that where supposed to address this rough runing at first start up. your local dealer will be able to help with that. If that is good you might have a leaking injector or injectors dumping fuel in to cylinder when car is off and has residual preassure making it run extra rich and rough when you first start it, and for the hard starting might be a leaking check valve for the fuel pump its supposed to keep preassure in the fuel system so when you go back to start it it does not crank as long and starts right away.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts