The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Happy To Be Here
2013 Lotus Evora IPS - Carbon Gray
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a bit of advise on my MY13 Evora. So I started a trip from Wisconsin to Tennessee with no engine issues. Along the way, I had to fill up at stations that had up to 10% ethanol fuel. I was a bit bummed about that, but anyway. So 727 miles later, I reach Tennessee and shut the car off for the day.

The next morning I start the car up and it was so rough I didn't think it would stay running. After about ten seconds of extremely rough idle it sounded like it got to running on all cylinders, but became rough again with any application of throttle. After about a minute, it ran perfectly fine. No dash warning lights came on. I figured it was maybe the ethanol as well as the altitude change and it wouldn't do that again.

Unfortunately, every time I start the car up for the first time in the day, it starts fairly rough. I had to drive back to Wisconsin at the end of the week and after the initial rough idle that day, I had no issues.

So since the trip, I've ran down the gas tank and filled with 100% gasoline. I still haven't gotten any warning lights, but struggle with the initial rough idle. It has never been as rough as the day after the first 727 mile journey, but that first start up of the day isn't fantastic. Is this a TADTS and I've simply broken the car in or is this something I should take the dealer to have this looked at? Suggestions?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm looking for a bit of advise on my MY13 Evora. So I started a trip from Wisconsin to Tennessee with no engine issues. Along the way, I had to fill up at stations that had up to 10% ethanol fuel. I was a bit bummed about that, but anyway. So 727 miles later, I reach Tennessee and shut the car off for the day.

The next morning I start the car up and it was so rough I didn't think it would stay running. After about ten seconds of extremely rough idle it sounded like it got to running on all cylinders, but became rough again with any application of throttle. After about a minute, it ran perfectly fine. No dash warning lights came on. I figured it was maybe the ethanol as well as the altitude change and it wouldn't do that again.

Unfortunately, every time I start the car up for the first time in the day, it starts fairly rough. I had to drive back to Wisconsin at the end of the week and after the initial rough idle that day, I had no issues.

So since the trip, I've ran down the gas tank and filled with 100% gasoline. I still haven't gotten any warning lights, but struggle with the initial rough idle. It has never been as rough as the day after the first 727 mile journey, but that first start up of the day isn't fantastic. Is this a TADTS and I've simply broken the car in or is this something I should take the dealer to have this looked at? Suggestions?
I have had this issue with my corvette when I drove it through that area. I am guessing you got some bad gas along the way and 1 or more of your injectors are either plugged or partually plugged. The problem with the high octane gas is it sits longer in the tanks at the station simply because of the cost. Alot of the time it will clear up after a tank or two.

Try running some injector cleaner through it. It cleared up my issues. I don't think it was the ethonal.

Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
I don't know about a MY13, but on the earlier cars an ECU update to the latest version solved the rough idle at start up. Mine was updated to Version K, and has started up smooth ever since, even after the cars sits for weeks.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Not sure it was the ethanol blend either...unfortunately in most states it's very difficult to find pure gas as the blend is mandated. I've never had a problem. But I also only run non-top tier gas (and personally prefer shell) in emergencies

·
Happy To Be Here
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wrote this thread yesterday because it had started up rough that morning, but this morning it did seem to be getting better. There still was a slight roughness to the idle NVH but barely noticeable and it disappeared after 10 seconds. I haven't tried the injector cleaner yet, but it may be getting better with time. When I eventually schedule an appointment to have my dud subwoofer amp looked at, I'll make sure they check that there aren't any ECU updates. I should probably have them check for IPS updates while they're at it. Thanks guys.

·
Happy To Be Here
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's been a few months since that initial rough start up and I thought it was getting better with time. However, I was wrong. I had the car in for service on my amp last week Saturday and they made sure all systems were up to date, which they all were so there was no update to apply. The very next day after the appointment, I went to start the car and it ran for one second, then stalled. I panicked a little and turned the key to off, not looking at what lights stayed on since it was still lighting up the dash anyway. After a few seconds, went to restart the car and it started up just fine, no rough idle and no dashboard lights. I ran the car around to make sure it got warm instead of just running for gas like I was going to do.

Then there was today. I started the car and I barely got off the starter and the engine died. The car was cold and hadn't been started since Sunday. Again, I forgot to see what stayed on for lights, plus had other things on my mind at the moment. Tried to start it again and had no issues whatsoever. No lights, no warnings, sounds fine. What gives? I've gone through several tanks of good gas and only have 5,800 miles on it. I called the dealer and he said then I take it in to have the amp installed he'll check the ECU for codes. Anyone else having this issue? I still haven't tried the injector cleaner, but I'm still able to get 33 mpg and doesn't run rough after start up so I have my doubts that it's dirty injectors. I'm open for ideas, but I'll keep posting what I find out in case someone else has this issue too.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
No point in guessing as it could be anything without logs.. Collect the appropriate logs and get a proper diagnosis.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I too have the latest ECU/TCU update (7/1/2014) on my '12 IPS and have rough startup issues. It doesn't die, but almost. I warm up for about 60-90 seconds before heading out.

·
Registered
886 Posts
rough start-up

I had this problem long term with my '12 IPS. Several new software updates, either ECU or TCU had nothing to do with it. When starting the car if it sounded too rough, I would immediately turn it off to avoid throwing CELs (limp mode, etc.) which I would log and then clear. On restart it would run OK.

I finally took it into the dealer and it did the same the next morning for the new tech. They updated the software and thought that should fix it. They also checked the throttle body, and a few other things.

After a day or so it was still no good. The tech was going to be gone for a couple of weeks to training school. While there he met a tech who worked mainly on race configuration Evoras. That person said no matter what Lotus says, replace the connectors in the throttle body with gold pins.

The car now starts without issue. It is still not as smooth as our other cars, but no longer throws CELs, etc. After starting and getting the seatbelt connected, it is running perfectly smooth and ready to go.

Finally!

Reactions: goelise

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
RW, how does someone change those pins out? If you had it done, perhaps a pic or two of what actually was replaced (i.e. female or male part of the connector, etc.)? Knock on wood, my car has been great to date, but I'm a big fan of preventative measures. Thanks!

·
Registered
886 Posts
gold pins

RW, how does someone change those pins out? If you had it done, perhaps a pic or two of what actually was replaced (i.e. female or male part of the connector, etc.)? Knock on wood, my car has been great to date, but I'm a big fan of preventative measures. Thanks!
It was done under warranty by the dealer in mid July. This is the longest it has gone with no problems.

Previously I had fussed with the throttle body connector many times using electrical contact cleaner, dielectric grease, etc. Would be OK for a while, but the poor contacts would eventually go bad again. I mentioned this to the dealer.

The tech/dealer asked me not to touch the throttle body connector to see if what was done actually fixed the problem. My taking it apart would only introduce another variable.

Therefore I do not know if the gold pins are in one or both parts of the connector. The dealers know about the pins and can order them.

The rough cold start problem developed slowly over time. It did not show up until after the first year. I think this is what you would expect for a bad connection to gradually get worse.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Yeah, mine's way beyond the warranty period. Also, it's sounds like it's not a standard thing as your mechanic got the tip from another tech and not lotus. So, if you ever go back into the dealer ask if you can talk to the mechanic about what the process consisted of (i.e., what parts got swapped, etc.). I'm sure others would appreciate it as well.

·
Registered
886 Posts
gold pins

Yeah, mine's way beyond the warranty period. Also, it's sounds like it's not a standard thing as your mechanic got the tip from another tech and not lotus. So, if you ever go back into the dealer ask if you can talk to the mechanic about what the process consisted of (i.e., what parts got swapped, etc.). I'm sure others would appreciate it as well.
I E-Mailed the question to the service director. If there is not gold on both sides of the throttle body connector, I'll post a clarification.

I see from the invoice the following were ordered:

QTY FP-NUMBER DESCRIPTION
6 735249 seal gold
6 746352 gold terminal

Based on this it would appear there is gold on both sides of the throttle body connector.

·
Illegal Alien
5,259 Posts
And also not typical lotus P/Ns

·
Registered
886 Posts
Throttle body connector gold pins

According to the Lotus service director:

Only the pins on the connector are replaced, the pins on the throttle body are not serviceable.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts