The Lotus Cars Community banner

81 - 100 of 120 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,549 Posts
Hey guys and gals. One bummed out racer left behind, waiting to hear to news about the day and the Sat race (if there was one). have fun. be safe. say hi to LS for me.
Sat race: 1st Kevin Marshall, 2nd David McMillan, 3rd Rob Ainscough

Production: 1st Brent Bauman (surprise!), 2nd Peter Mokran, 3rd Kevin Wood

The beginning of the race was a tornado. Ill let others chime in.

Me personally, I got a good jump on the start, but shifter cable broke midway through the race. DNF

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Took my daughter and had a blast watching practice and qualifying. I posted my pics (mostly from the Corkscrew) if anyone is interested:
Lotus Cup Gallery

If anyone wants the 6MB original of an image, PM me and I'll upload it.

By the way, is the driver of the orange Elise #088 on the forums?

·
Premium Member
4,663 Posts
What a difference a day makes ..... quali times for Saturday and Sunday below.

No one put down a time as fast as Andy's 1:33.656 set on Friday. Unfortunately his tranny went south at the end of the day taking him out of the Lotus Cup weekend. :(

Rob A's new turbo Exige is a rocket ship and he did a great job driving it to a stellar time of 1:34.070 in Sunday's quali. :up:

All and all and not surprisingly, it was a super FUN weekend at historic Laguna Seca with 30+ Loti on track ..... I was thrilled to continue my trend (now 3 in a row) of improving on my personal best from last year's Laguna event by 2 seconds. :coolnana:

I'd like to extend a big THANK YOU to Robbie and his crew -- Thomas, Kenton, Bryan and Tommy :bow: and, of course, to all the great Lotus Cup USA sponsors .... Lotus USA, Yokohama Tires, Newport European Motorcars, Tecnocraft Composites, Go Pro, Motul USA, Radium Engineering, Dynamic Racing Solutions, Dietsch Werks, Mulholland Motorsports, VSA Motorsports, Sector 111, Suspension Performance, and Master Designs :clap::clap::clap:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,663 Posts
Anyone have more pictures of the Storm Titanium Exige with the yellow stripe?
You mean my old Cup 255, of course, same car, different track ...... :D

Attachments

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Wow.. What a weekend. First off, a BIG THANK YOU to all our drivers, teams, sponsors, family, friends, and staff for making Laguna Seca such a big success. Not only did we have the largest grid in Lotus Cup USA history, but we witnessed the best competition in the series to date. Close battles throughout the entire 30+ car field. A mix of new and returning drivers. Awesome display of skill and the continuous family environment that has made this series so fun. Thank you again and we look forward to our next event: Sonoma Raceway - Sept 21/22.

Huge thanks to our sponsors: Lotus Cars, Newport European Motorcars, Yokohama Tire, Motul USA, GoPro, Sector 111, Radium Engineering, Dietsch Werks, DRS, Master Designs, Mulholland Motorsports, Suspension Performance, and VSA Motorsports.

Be sure to post your videos and pictures and keep up the awesomeness!

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
It was a frustrating weekend for me; as Jack mentioned above I only had one full session at speed on Friday, and not one of the laps was clean (without having to lift or compromise my line due to slower traffic). I was still able to reset my best time at Laguna Seca; but I know the car has more potential...

On the other hand, it was fantastic to see all the Lotus Cup participants... old friends and new ones. Standing in the middle of the pit straight garages, all you could see were Lotus in either direction. :D

Robbie and his team did a great job... one of the things that's new for this year is that the team disperses around the track during sessions, then meets with each driver for a download after each session... that's the kind of attention you get at a professional racing school.

The races were awesome to watch; exciting battles from the front of the grid to the back, all through the race! Congrats to all the class winners; great work by all.

As for my "weekend", it started out like this:

...and ended during the next session like this:

The start of Race 1:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Major bummer Andy, would have been great to do battle again. But I've been there (back in 2011) so I know exactly how you feel. Morning seemed to be the magic time ... or maybe it was the coffee?

Race 1 was probably more fun for me, a mistake on the start gave Dave the T2 corner. I stayed with Dave and had a few opportunities to pass but was tentative ... Kevin got thru on me and I had a few other front lockups so settled for 3rd overall, 2nd in class.

Race 2 was lonely, but in a good way, no major mistakes. Brake pedal was feeling a little mushy so backed off to make sure I could bring the car home.

Thanks to all the Lotus Cup USA group/drivers, they put on a very high quality event, best event I've attended since I started racing back in 1999. I hope Robbie can manage to get more 105 db events there, it was such a relief to not have to mess around with sound.

Thanks to the DRS crew and Kris Valdez tuning for building me a great heart of this Turbo motor ... it's definitely different from my prior NA and SC motors. The motor did very well for it's first shake down.

This is my qual lap from Sunday, sorry for the crappy exposure, I didn't realize the GoPro has a Spot Meter setting (this is the first time I've used a GoPro), it was OFF :( Their were some other GoPro cameras attached to my car, hopefully they got some better video footage than what I have.

A quick data check and looks like about 135 mph into T2.

Thanks again to everyone there, fantastic event at a fantastic facility.

Rob

·
Premium Member
4,663 Posts
Andy, you would have definitely gone faster yet, especially on Sunday morning, as the ambient temperatures were a bit lower and the track conditions were better -- more grip than on Friday and Saturday.

Thanks again for all your help over the weekend -- you are truly a gentleman and scholar. :bow:

Great to have you back competing in Lotus Cup, even if it means I'll get my butt kicked. :D

:shift: :shift:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Andy, you would have definitely gone faster yet, especially on Sunday morning, as the ambient temperatures were a bit lower and the track conditions were better -- more grip than on Friday and Saturday.

Thanks again for all your help over the weekend -- you are truly a gentleman and scholar. :bow:

Great to have you back competing in Lotus Cup, even if it means I'll get my butt kicked. :D

:shift: :shift:
+1

·
Premium Member
4,549 Posts
Major bummer Andy, would have been great to do battle again. But I've been there (back in 2011) so I know exactly how you feel. Morning seemed to be the magic time ... or maybe it was the coffee?

Race 1 was probably more fun for me, a mistake on the start gave Dave the T2 corner. I stayed with Dave and had a few opportunities to pass but was tentative ... Kevin got thru on me and I had a few other front lockups so settled for 3rd overall, 2nd in class.

Race 2 was lonely, but in a good way, no major mistakes. Brake pedal was feeling a little mushy so backed off to make sure I could bring the car home.

Thanks to all the Lotus Cup USA group/drivers, they put on a very high quality event, best event I've attended since I started racing back in 1999. I hope Robbie can manage to get more 105 db events there, it was such a relief to not have to mess around with sound.

Thanks to the DRS crew and Kris Valdez tuning for building me a great heart of this Turbo motor ... it's definitely different from my prior NA and SC motors. The motor did very well for it's first shake down.

This is my qual lap from Sunday, sorry for the crappy exposure, I didn't realize the GoPro has a Spot Meter setting (this is the first time I've used a GoPro), it was OFF :( Their were some other GoPro cameras attached to my car, hopefully they got some better video footage than what I have.

Lotus Cup USA - ROUND 4 - Sunday Qual Lap 3 - 1:34.053 - YouTube

A quick data check and looks like about 135 mph into T2.

Thanks again to everyone there, fantastic event at a fantastic facility.

Rob
Rob, what is the turbo pushing now?

That sequential is SICK!!!! :shift:

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
319 wHP DynoJet converted number, about 290 wHP on Kris's dyno. The Quaife held up, I was a little worried about it at 249 TQ. I think Kevin M. is running the Quaife too. But if you want "Sick" sequential's check out Greg's 2-11 Sadev with EFI shift cut and auto blip (there is a video of it on youtube somewhere, that setup is amazing).

Rev limiter was set to 8000 soft 8100 hard, doesn't make any power over 7600 rpm so only reason to rev that high was to avoid a shift - power band is about 4000-7600. It does sound like I'm spanking monkey's or something during shifts.

Hopefully I can get out on track more often now.

·
Premium Member
4,663 Posts
Hopefully I can get out on track more often now.
Rob, great car and great driving :up:

Your car looked FAST to me :)

I'd love to have a sequential in the 2-11, especially with flat shift and auto-blip on downshifts like in the GT4's. It's one of the fun aspects for me of the Radical SR3.

Hope you plan to do more events, maybe the rest of the season?

Anyway, good job this weekend!

EDIT: BTW, I liked your old videos with data. :)

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Thanks Jack, one day at a time, plan is for Sonoma in Sept ... it's only 40 mins away, how could I not go? Hope LC USA has another great turn out for Sonoma and Andy gets a tranny solution.

Found the video of shift-cut and auto blip on Greg's 2-11 (Sadev).

LFB is definitely the best way to race so much more control.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Jack, you know you want a sequential... Rob A, David M, Greg N, and Kevin M all have sequentials... it's not like you to get so far behind the trendsetters... -poke-

;)

Rob, I was really looking forward to the races... with your 135mph terminal speed into T2 (vs my 123mph), if we would have been on the front row I would have had to plan on getting through the first corner in P2. :D

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Yeah Jack, get with the program. My tranny failure back in 2011 at Laguna is why I went with the Quaife ... no one seemed to have a "real" solution to stock Toyota unit other than the Sadev.

Andy, I think your race pace would be faster (I could only get about 3 good laps out my tires before over heating them) so the only hope for me would be to make it to T2 first and hopefully not make any mistakes and try to hold you off ... but if you put on new tires for the race I don't think I would stand a chance vs used tires.

I'm sure we both had time on the table we didn't extract, but I think key to race would be in consistency.

Will get data overlay video done this weekend.

81 - 100 of 120 Posts