The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like my Microsoft MN700 is going TU. Any recommendations on a wireless router with easy to configure wireless security?

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I've found netgears to be much more reliable than D-Link or linksys.
I've got a Netgear at home, and set one up for my daughter at her apartment. They've worked just fine.

The only problem I had was making the initial connection. I found that it works best to leave on the SSID broadcast until you get the connection working with your laptop. Then go back and turn off the SSID broadcast. It made it easier to "find" the router with the laptop to get everything working.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I've been looking really hard at the Apple Time Capsule. Wireless router, external hard drive, automatic backups, and wireless access to USB devices (printers, other external hard drives, etc.).

The fact that I'm still happy with the old WRT54G is the only thing holding me back.

·
Registered
960 Posts
As a long time Apple user, I'm pretty sure you can get an inexpensive router and a ethernet capable storage device (also relatively inexpensive) and accomplish the same results. Here's an example of a 500 GB ethernet capable storage device.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
As a long time Apple user, I'm pretty sure you can get an inexpensive router and a ethernet capable storage device (also relatively inexpensive) and accomplish the same results. Here's an example of a 500 GB ethernet capable storage device.
I had no idea. Thanks for the tip. :clap:

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I have a 2-wire provided by my phone company at&t..my 1st 2wire fried in a thunderstorm..the 2nd one has been somewhat mediocre..a lot of time out connections.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I believe the process is to plug the ethernet capable drive into the router, "map" the drive (desktop - go/connect to server) then select the drive as the destination of TimeMachine. I've been thinking about doing this but to date have simply plugged in my existing USB external and run Apple's Backup program - so I don't have first hand experience that this process will work for TimeMachine.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I use a Linksys WAP54G wireless Access Point with a Linksys BEFSR41 Router. I have an old Dell Pentium III box running Linux and my homebrew P4 (dual boot -- XP & Linux) directly conntected to the router and the access point serves my MacBook pro (dual boot OSX & XP), my son's laptop (XP), and his XBOX. I had a Linksys print server attached for a while, but my laser printer died...

It all works quite well. I inherited another BEFSR41 which I could use for expansion :)

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Counting the days to the release of "Time Capsule." Had a bit of a failure today that woke me up, and (with full disclosure, I might add) bought a Lacie half-terabyte drive that I will return and apply towards the purchase of Time Capsule.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
For myself, I run Linksys WRT54G reloaded with HyperWRT.

For my customers and friends it depends on what they need from $14.99 Frys specials to AirPorts.

If your are really worried about security use a Linksys/Cisco Firewall with DMZ RT042.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I've had a WRT54G for years and I've been really happy with it.
Same here.. I had a D-Link.. I threw it against a wall I was so mad at it.. Linksys is way easier to work with.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts