The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where to get Royal Purple 5w40 at a reasonable price. I tried several places and they say they can't get it anymore.

On an interesting note, I asked the tech rep at RP what he thought about durability of 5w40 for track days. His comment follows.

"I would rather you run our racing XPR 10w40 or even RP 10w40 or RP 15w40 because they are equipped with better additive packages for more protection. RP 5w40 will work great over all our competitors, but the others are a better yet. "

Thanks.

Rob

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I used it on my XR4Ti, never gave me a problem.

I recently heard that they had to retract ads for horsepower and efficiency claims that they couldn't back up.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I used the RP XPR 10w40 in my Elise when I still used it for track days before I got my dedicated track toy. I have switched to regular RP 10w40 for street use. I can't seem to find 5w40 local.

·
Registered
143 Posts
i recently changed my oil to RP 5W40. we have good stock over here in the Phils. i usually use 10W40 or 20W50, depending on which car, considering it's very hot here but i used the 5w40 since the car has the same viscosity originally. and the oil coolers still have the old oil left so i thought better not mix viscosity.

after this post, now i think i should have done otherwise.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I can't find the 5W40 over here in Japan on base, so I've been running 5W30 Royal Purple now for 25,000 kms with no issues... Oil still drains clean like it's brand new during my like clock work 5,000 km oil changes... I change the filter every other oil change.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've used RP 10w40 for a few years now.

Mostly because the 5w40 is hard to find but also because I never drive my car in cold weather so there's no reason for such a low viscosity at start-up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts