The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I don’t own a Lotus yet but I have been doing a lot of research on them lately because I’m thinking of buying an 08 Elise. After a little bit of googling I came across this site:

Lotus Elise Models & Specs

Now I’m no pro at tuning but I definitely know the basics, and I realized all of the models use the same 2zz which you guys are probably very aware of, but they each rev to a different amount of RPMs, 6200 being the lowest & 8000 being the highest. I wanted to know what has to happen to change that value (i.e. titanium connecting rods/pistons, new tune).

Also is there a physical difference between the models or is it simply the manufacturer tune on them?

Last Question, if I do get a lotus I know I would need some sort of smart head unit, could any of you give me recommendations?

·
Registered
626 Posts
i think no one replied the first time you posted this because it was assumed to be too obvious.

as far as i know, the redline and engine internals in the various 2zz lotus are not different. the cars do, however, have different "redline" fuel cut engine speeds during warmup. this is a protective measure for the variable valve lift mechanism.

in order to better optimize both low and high engine speed airflow, the car has two camshaft profiles. at high speed the car switches to the high lift camshaft in order to allow more air to flow.

since the transition point for valve lift varies from model to model (naturally aspirated, sport ecu, supercharged), the redline during warmup will vary too (the car prevents the use of the second cam profile when the engine is cold).

·
Registered
84 Posts
That site is primarly for the models for Europe since the US didn't get the models with the 1ZZ engine. The ones that show a 5MT are the ones with the 1ZZ engine which is different than the 2ZZ. Thats why the hp and rpms are much lower.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts