The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know people's thoughts on the RTDbrace vs. the Deltabrace. There is a big difference in price ($500 vs. $150). If running Ohlins and R compounds, is the RTDbrace the way to go?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Does the delta brace keep the existing rod ends? Where as RTD brace has custom spherical joints? That might account for part of the difference.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
The way I understand it is that if you're going to do any heavy duty track stuff, the RTD brace is beefier and the way to go ( That's what I got )

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
On their site:

>>Only works with Track Pack optioned cars. The DELTAbrace is a direct replacement for the factory brace.

For Non-Track Pack cars, please see RTDbrace.

Doesn't the Track Pack utilize the brace that ties the two rod ends together?

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
the deltabrace is specifically for cars equipped with the factory track pack. it replaces the OE brace.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
The Delta brace is less expensive because it assumes you already have everything required for a brace, and just supplies you with an improved brace design.

The RTD package includes everything you need, including new joints and toe links. It replaces everything.

xtn

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Could I get some clarification on this? I have the the Track Package on my 07 Exige S, do I really need the <a href="http://www.sector111.com/products/performance/suspension/rtdbrace.cfm">RTDBrace</a> or should I just get this <a href="http://www.sector111.com/products/performance/suspension/rtvbrace.cfm">RTVBrace</a>

I like to run Hoosiers.

How many folks have had failures?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
This is one upgrade that Ive put off and seriously think I need to do...

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Could I get some clarification on this? I have the the Track Package on my 07 Exige S, do I really need the <a href="http://www.sector111.com/products/performance/suspension/rtdbrace.cfm">RTDBrace</a> or should I just get this <a href="http://www.sector111.com/products/performance/suspension/rtvbrace.cfm">RTVBrace</a>

I like to run Hoosiers.

+1

·
Registered
4,476 Posts

I like to run Hoosiers.

you can use the delta brace. i did so because of cost (even at the old, higher price) and because i didn't want to have an alignment performed at the time.

i know zero about the rtv vs rtd.

delta brace is on close-out at s111.

·
Premium Member
4,698 Posts

I like to run Hoosiers.

In a nutshell, the delta brace retains the stock lotus heim joints (which don't hold up well) and attaches to the tranny mount location which is not the case for the track pack toe brace. IMHO, it's the heim joint that comes with the track pack toe brace that is the weak link -- those heim joints are very expensive to replace and develop play in short order when subjected to track usage (curb hopping) and sticky tires.

Since heim joints are consumables, I opted to replace my factory brace with the RTD brace because of the quality Aurora heim joints that can be used with this brace. (You can't use the Aurora joints with the track pack toe brace). Aurora heim joints are far superior to the track pack stock heim joints, last longer and are significantly cheaper to replace. Both the RTV and the RTD come with the same Aurora heim joints -- the principal difference between the two is the added attachment point at the tranny mount for the RTD brace.

Hope the above makes sense.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Recently had the RTV brace installed. Went with it due to lower cost and ease of install. Already have the ForcedFed Engine damper . While both the RTD and RTV use Aurora hemi joints the RTD are Teflon lined and should be longer lasting VS the oil lubricated version of the RTV. Using the Teflon hemi joint and keeping the oiled ones as spares.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
So it sounds like the RTDBrace is the way to go (I need to align anyway so do it all in one shot). Any significant difference in road noise/vibration?

Jack,

Could I get the specs on those rims? Are this Lotus? Size and what tires come with?

·
Premium Member
4,698 Posts
Recently had the RTV brace installed. Went with it due to lower cost and ease of install. Already have the ForcedFed Engine damper . While both the RTD and RTV use Aurora hemi joints the RTD are Teflon lined and should be longer lasting VS the oil lubricated version of the RTV. Using the Teflon hemi joint and keeping the oiled ones as spares.

Larry,

Thanks for the clarification.

Sounds like you did what I will do on my next Lotus -- get the RTV brace and use the RTD Aurora joints. ;) The RTV can be a pain to install when you've got the Forced Fed engine damper as well.

·
Premium Member
4,698 Posts
So it sounds like the RTDBrace is the way to go (I need to align anyway so do it all in one shot). Any significant difference in road noise/vibration?

Jack,

Could I get the specs on those rims? Are this Lotus? Size and what tires come with?

The RTD won't introduce any "new" road noise/vibrations. ;)

As for you rim question, I'm not sure which ones you're asking about -- I've got so many wheels. :)

The Cup car wheels (pictured below and sometimes referred to as 240R wheels) are Lotus Sport forged wheels, 7" and 8" wide front and rear, respectively. Same offsets as the LSS wheels -- 31mm et front and 38mm et rear. Those wheels are available in black and silver and were supplied from the factory with Yokohama slicks -- 190/580 front and 230/625 rear.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Jack,

Could I get some contact information regarding the wheels and tires? (I'm interested in Black).

I'll talk to Casey at ForcedFed about the RTV/RTD brace since I do have their engine damper.

Thanks, Rob.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I would like to know people's thoughts on the RTDbrace vs. the Deltabrace. There is a big difference in price ($500 vs. $150). If running Ohlins and R compounds, is the RTDbrace the way to go?
FWIW, I run the RTD brace, Ohlins front and rear, Hoosier slicks and ForcedFed engine damper......no problems at all. Sticks like it's on rails. You have to make sure you have the caster, camber, toe and ride height adjusted for track to get optimal performance.

·
Premium Member
4,698 Posts
Jack,

Could I get some contact information regarding the wheels and tires? (I'm interested in Black).

I'll talk to Casey at ForcedFed about the RTV/RTD brace since I do have their engine damper.

Thanks, Rob.
Rob,

If you're having Casey do the install, go RTD. It'll be a breeze for him to install -- Casey is great.

Those wheels should be available through most dealers and possibly Blackwatch Racing. Unfortunately the slicks are only available through Lotus dealers. Yoko and Lotus made a deal -- no one else can retail the Lotus-specific compound slicks, not even another Yoko distributor.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Hmmm...lotus dealer only??

So in other words if I need to get Tires, I better plan a long order period and keep stocked up?

I'm debating these or some really nice wheels Casey showed me -- forged 2 piece -- picked them up and they are feather weight, but expensive. $3500 set + another $1000 for rubber.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts