The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, how important is the RTD/RTV brace for a track/street use car?

I'm going through different threads and I guess there's a debate on wether it is needed or not, but would a track pack + nord lock be sufficient or is Sector brace still recommended?

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I track my car so far with only the factory track pack equipment. I check the torque on the bolts between each track weekend, and have not had any catastrophic problem.

However, the following gotchas should be noted:

1. Insure that the mounting surface is true and not fouled with galvanizing slag/flash.
2. Even with nordlocks, check the torque on a regular basis.
3. Even if the torque stays to speck, the factory heims with their plastic cages allow toe change and will wear out.
4. Not to mention that the dust seals pop out.

I have not installed it yet, but I have the RTD brace in my garage ready to go when I get some time.

xtn

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Also depends on what you are using it for. I believe there are some previous threads stating the OE brace would be required instead of the S111 versions ie. for SCCA type events.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
cheap insurance.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've only had my toe brace tightened twice so far, almost 5000 miles with 1 track day. But I've been told they were pretty loose both times.

Right now, I just plan on doing HPDE and hopefully some LCS if I have the time, but I want the car to be as maintainence free as possible.

Also, which would be the better choice? RTV vs RTD, other than the price, what exactly would the 3rd chasis mounting point do?

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
If your bolts are getting that loose- point 1, by xtn might come into play. Other question would be are they using the original lighter or the newer higher torque setting.

Based on the feedback I've seen my summary would be- con, for street use they are no longer a weak point that would snap with heavier impacts, so you could end up with more damage then you otherwise may have had.

For track, as long as your checking and keeping the bolts tight you should be OK on street tires. However I'd be careful not to hit any curbing / berms very hard. If you have the DOT- R compounds think it's good insurance to have. If your running slicks you should add them.

RTV Vs RTD. Think the RTD is a little over-engineered for someone doing HPDE once in a while and not hard-core track duty on slicks. For me the main difference is the hemi joints they use, the RTD are Teflon Vs oiled aurora heim joints for the RTV. Went with the RTV, switch to the teflon hemi joints (have the original as spares). Also made for a easier install of the ForceFed engine damper, which are nice to have for a couple of reasons.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I just swapped my '05 Elise's hardware for the RTV... very easy to do. The pieces are much beefier and I've a little more piece of mind when I run my new Hoosiers.
Be good,

TomK

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
The RTV is a fine solution for the driver who is only running ocasional track days. The RTD is better for those folk who regularily attend TJA (track junkies anonymous)....:D - especially if you are running slicks or even R-compounds.

BTW: both have Heims that are load rated the same....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts