The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen pics of the elise and seen some with what looks like black rubber flooring and some with what looks like metal. Whats does the US elise have?

Also does the elise have a glove compartment?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
Metal floors with carpet (floormats).

No glove box.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What does the metal look like? I plan on getting both packages, but don't really want the carpet. So I'm hoping the metal looks nice (has that diamond design or something)

Is there anywhere on the car where you can keep registeration and proof of insurance?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,374 Posts
JediMindGamez said:
Is there anywhere on the car where you can keep registration and proof of insurance?
Mine are tucked into the owner's manual book/holder that fits nicely into the special "slot" for it on the battery cover, nicely locked up in the boot.

My car does not have the Touring package, so no "extra" carpeting. The floor mats are attached via big "screws" to the metal floor. Without the floor mats, I would suspect that the floor would get scratched up and be somewhat slippery. My mats are staying in the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmm....kinda sucks having to get outta the car to show ure cop liscense and reg...oh well...

what could scratch the floors thou...only thing thats going to be there is shoes.

What does the metal floor look like thou? If its not too much trouble you think you could get a pic? I understand if you don't wanna for any reason.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,063 Posts
JediMindGamez said:
What does the metal floor look like thou?
Easy to get an impression...

Take a flat sheet anodised aluminium of about 3 by 3ft and lay it flat on the floor... That's how it looks..

The thing to remember is that the Elise has no double-skinned floor or such things. So the surface you see under the floor mats is also the bottom of the car.

Oh.. And before people start freaking out.. The 'crease' in the floor is supposed to be there! If you look under the car you can see it forms a big 'X'. This was put in quite early in the S1 production to stop the floor resonating too much when it was just a completely flat sheet.

Bye, Arno.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
alrite...thx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,315 Posts
I took out the battery cover. My owners book/documentation fits very nicely between the passenger seat and the passengers side sill ;)
It is difficult to see there, easy to get to and does not move under spirited driving.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,374 Posts
raggedy1 said:
you should keep registration and proof of insurance in your wallet. don't leave it with the car, imo...
License and proof of insurance are in my wallet - but the car's registration is keep with the car. I figure having it locked in the trunk/boot is sufficient protection - it doesn't help if I kept the registration on my person, and someone else is driving the car.:no:

As for getting out of the car for the cops - it's something I always do. Some don't like it, but I do it anyway. I explain to them that it's much safer for them - and myself - for the officer to be standing on the shoulder of the road instead of standing there with his butt hanging out in traffic. Then I explain to them that one of my friends in college had a cop killed by a passing car, and I don't ever want to experience that. :huh: I also like to take away a bit of their "looking down at you" power by standing eye to eye with the cop.;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,722 Posts
when i was about 18 i started to get out of my car and the cop grabbed his gun and yelled "get the **** back in the car!"
he told me its safer for them when the occupant is in the car.
i didnt ask why.
so since then, i stay in the vehicle...im sure if they want me out they will let me know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,915 Posts
TimMullen said:
License and proof of insurance are in my wallet - but the car's registration is keep with the car. I figure having it locked in the trunk/boot is sufficient protection - it doesn't help if I kept the registration on my person, and someone else is driving the car.:no:

As for getting out of the car for the cops - it's something I always do. Some don't like it, but I do it anyway. I explain to them that it's much safer for them - and myself - for the officer to be standing on the shoulder of the road instead of standing there with his butt hanging out in traffic. Then I explain to them that one of my friends in college had a cop killed by a passing car, and I don't ever want to experience that. :huh: I also like to take away a bit of their "looking down at you" power by standing eye to eye with the cop.;)
i give the registration to whomever is going to borrow my cars.

so you know better than the cop that's just pulled you over? ok, whatever. in some areas and cities you could find youself in handcuffs for not listening to the officer. ever notice how an officer will offset his vehicle to yours? one reason that is done is to provide protection for the officer from passing vehicles while he/she makes his/her approach.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,915 Posts
evomind said:
when i was about 18 i started to get out of my car and the cop grabbed his gun and yelled "get the **** back in the car!"
he told me its safer for them when the occupant is in the car.
i didnt ask why.
so since then, i stay in the vehicle...im sure if they want me out they will let me know.
good idea. stay in the car and keep your hands on the wheel while the officer approaches.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,374 Posts
raggedy1 said:
so you know better than the cop that's just pulled you over? OK, whatever. in some areas and cities you could find yourself in handcuffs for not listening to the officer.
I always hold out my hands, and calmly explain to the officer. Never had one get bent out of shape, and several have thanked me.

I don't advocate jumping out of you car and charging at the officer. Just nicely, and politely getting out (usually before the cop does) and like I said holding my hands out so that he can see that I'm not armed, all the while explaining to him (never had a female cop stop me) what I'm doing and why. Standing five or six feet off the road away from the cars tends to make the cop and me feel more comfortable.

Then again, I haven't had all that many interactions with on-duty police officers for quite a few years - the last one was when one pulled me over so that he could apologize for cutting me off in my Miata. We stood on the side of the road and had a friendly chat for about 20 minutes - turns out he was a real nice guy.:cool:

But if you don't feel like getting out of the car, by all means remain in the car with your hands on the wheel. No cop is going to object to that at all...
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top