The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
craigyirush
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was on the banked oval at Fontana last weekend and my aftermarket splitter partly tore away from the clam! I'd had it installed by a good mechanic at a Lotus dealer in 2015, but I guess it wasn't up to the speed of an oval.

I bought it to save the clam and because it looks good, not for downforce (and when I took it off and did one more run there was no discernible difference in front end grip).

So thinking about alternatives and found this online - https://ezlip.com/product/ez-lip/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpv_d-9Cv4gIVkrfsCh16rQvZEAQYASABEgLzG_D_BwE

Has anyone used this kind of rubber strip on their Elise?

Any other suggestions apart from Sir Lotus' chin gards or a new splitter (which I would have to make sure was secured properly!)

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Welcome to the club.....womp womp :(

Posted this pic this morning on another thread. Had it on for years but it was no match for a piece of rock hard ice that fell off a semi trailer that had come over the pass a few months ago.

That looks interesting though. Pretty cheap to try out. Let us know how it works! Might follow suit.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
If you look at the new production cars, you will see this type of device being used, especially on trucks.
n
A critical detail though is that those production vehicles have aerodynamically horrible undersides. It isn't that the air dams create downforce so much as they reduce lift. In effect, there's no difference, but fundamentally there are differences. We actually like underbody airflow since we have clean underbodies and a useful diffuser. Diverting air from these has a negative consequence, and that's why you see that racecars removing or raising the splitter in the mid-section.

This is not to dissuade from using one to protect the clam, just making sure apples are being compared to apples.

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
A critical detail though is that those production vehicles have aerodynamically horrible undersides. It isn't that the air dams create downforce so much as they reduce lift. In effect, there's no difference, but fundamentally there are differences. We actually like underbody airflow since we have clean underbodies and a useful diffuser. Diverting air from these has a negative consequence, and that's why you see that racecars removing or raising the splitter in the mid-section.

This is not to dissuade from using one to protect the clam, just making sure apples are being compared to apples.
Splitter technology has come a long way in the last few years. Underbody treatments on production cars are getting close to being flat bottoms. Raising the center of the splitter helps concentrate the air flow down the middle of the car and avoid the obstruction of the tires. There is also a minimum clearance for the splitter to the ground or you risk stalling the splitter.

I have been told by the aero gods that the rubber lip would be beneficial on our cars but you have to watch "sealing" this area off.

Later,
Eldon

·
Dreaming of Lotus
2005 Elise Sport Touring
125 Posts
So did you test it? Looking at installation, this seems like a good option.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts