The Lotus Cars Community banner

401 - 420 of 469 Posts

·
Premium Member
1960 190sl, 2000 M Coupe (RIP), 2001 Miata, 2018 Morgan three wheeler, 2005 Elise
2 Posts
Greetings- my handle was supposed to be It Never Rains in PDX but it did not go in that way because - smartphone. Any help from the moderator here?

Been suffering from a British invasion of sorts for awhile and I have been embracing the less is more ethos and lighter is better. Always been a car guy and love to go to the track and had my 2000 BMW M Coupe setup perfect form for the job. Tried auto cross in the Miata a few times but its an all day thing and having kids I don't have the time so more a track day / twisty road kind of guy.

Why am I joining the Lotus forum...

This weekend the Pacific Northwest had a lovely bit of winter roll through and the BMW was crushed by falling tree that also took out the barn and the Exocet project I was just starting and as both are a total loss.

The M Coupe was a great track toy but at a relatively portly 3,100 lbs (I was unwilling to pull out the interior, as it was perfect) and while not as flickable as driving the 2001 Miata it was perfectly balanced and you could easily drive it with the accelerator pedal. The BMW was super quick in it's day and certainly faster and than the Miata but now every crossover and minivan has more than 240 bhp bone stock these days which shows you how far we have come from the year 2000 when at that point it was the quickest car that BMW had made to date (yes beating the E30 M3) I would never have sold the M Coupe given my history with the car and owning it from new (and as it was increasing in value) and I had gotten it just perfect with the MCS suspension and all the bits. When doors close others open.

The invasion part..

I picked up a Morgan three wheeler a few years ago and this British thing starts to stick to you like a fungus The M3W is real "motoring" with the wind in you hair exposed to the elements and is as pure a driving experience as it gets. It is easy to see the corner apex when you can literally see the tire contact patch. Tipping the scales at 1,100 lbs I now understand true lightness and I have gone forever to the darks side.

Not many options really in the lightweight class - new Miata (but oh that butt) and possibly used S2000 but neither of those hold a candle to the Elise in the looks/sound/lightness category. I have always loved the Elise but would not likely pulled the trigger if not for circumstances as they are. The plan was to keep the BMW which I was rather fond of and build the Miata/Exocet car over the summer to flog mercilessly. Plans have wont to change.

I am (with the wife's approval as she is tired of me grieving) downsizing and replacing two cars with one. This Friday I will be purchasing a 2005 Elise with just a shade over 10K on the clock after it getting a clean bill of health not finding anything untoward in the valvetrain (as I have heard can be an issue) it will be mine.

Red over tan leather and electric windows. Beautiful.

I get that the Elise leaks. I get that the Elise rattles. I get that it is tough to enter and exit (try a M3W). I am throwing caution to the wind and I am all in..

Looking forward to learning the idiosyncrasies of the Elise and the folks who own them.

Dave

IMG_3722.jpg
IMG_3723.jpg

·
Administrator
3,276 Posts
Welcome to LT Dave! Wow poor bimmer but great way to overcome your grief. Name edited.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone, Andy here. Though I don’t currently own a Lotus, I’m here to do research on my next toy. The Exige definitely fits the bill as I’m aiming for something extremely driver focused without all the electronic gizmos and creature comforts that bloat cars of today. Excited to learn from everyone. I’m located out near our nation’s capitol: Washington DC

·
Registered
2 Posts
New rule in effect June 23, 2020

All new members must post an introduction in the New Member Introduction forum, otherwise we will assume you are a spammer or a scammer. Any new member that does not post an introduction within 48 hours of account creation will receive a reminder message from a Moderator, if there is no response, your account will be erased.

Please introduce yourself, location, what would you like to learn, Lotus you own or Lotus you want to purchase. Your location will help to connect with other Lotus owners in your area.
Pictures of your Lotus are encouraged.

If you do not post an introduction, or respond to message from a moderator, your account will be erased, this is due to the high volume of spammers and scammers that have been causing problems lately. This is a rule to protect our community and an opportunity for you to meet other members as well. This rule will be strictly enforced, so if you are too lazy to post an intro, your account will be erased.

If a new member fails to post an introduction within 48 hours they will be deleted as being suspected of being a spammer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi!

I’m Bill from NJ. Been in love with the lotus brand for years and have started my search for an Evora S or 400. Looking forward to learning more about the nuances between the models and years.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, I'm Nick from San Diego. I used to dream of one day owning an Elise ever since seeing one on Top Gear. I came across a post somewhere recently that reminded me that they exist and I realized I may actually be in a position to own one now (or maybe as close as I'll get, lol). Going to have to sit on it for a couple months to decide if I'm being crazy so I'm here in the meantime reading up. I'm only mechanically inclined enough to do a brake job but I won't be able to do that in my (fenced-in) parking lot, anyway. My s/o drives a sedan so I think I can pull off making an elise my DD. I currently WFH but may eventually go back to a 15mi (each way) commute.

In any event, these cars look wild and I feel like I need to jump on the bandwagon before life gets in the way or the price doubles. I find myself scanning the roads around town trying to decide if an Elise can make it. We have "gutters" in the road at a lot of cross streets that make me nervous. I've enjoyed lurking the last couple weeks; this community seems really supportive and helpful. Hoping to join you guys soon!

·
Administrator
3,276 Posts
Hey everyone, Andy here. Though I don’t currently own a Lotus, I’m here to do research on my next toy. The Exige definitely fits the bill as I’m aiming for something extremely driver focused without all the electronic gizmos and creature comforts that bloat cars of today. Excited to learn from everyone. I’m located out near our nation’s capitol: Washington DC
Welcome to LT Andy! Lt is a great place to learn about Lotus and to see what fits your needs.

·
Administrator
3,276 Posts
Hi!

I’m Bill from NJ. Been in love with the lotus brand for years and have started my search for an Evora S or 400. Looking forward to learning more about the nuances between the models and years.
Welcome to LT Bill. There are many threads that should help you make your mind up and help youin your search.

·
Administrator
3,276 Posts
Hey, I'm Nick from San Diego. I used to dream of one day owning an Elise ever since seeing one on Top Gear. I came across a post somewhere recently that reminded me that they exist and I realized I may actually be in a position to own one now (or maybe as close as I'll get, lol). Going to have to sit on it for a couple months to decide if I'm being crazy so I'm here in the meantime reading up. I'm only mechanically inclined enough to do a brake job but I won't be able to do that in my (fenced-in) parking lot, anyway. My s/o drives a sedan so I think I can pull off making an elise my DD. I currently WFH but may eventually go back to a 15mi (each way) commute.

In any event, these cars look wild and I feel like I need to jump on the bandwagon before life gets in the way or the price doubles. I find myself scanning the roads around town trying to decide if an Elise can make it. We have "gutters" in the road at a lot of cross streets that make me nervous. I've enjoyed lurking the last couple weeks; this community seems really supportive and helpful. Hoping to join you guys soon!
Welcome to LT Nick! As Rob Schneider would say "You can do it"

·
Registered
06 exige / Fiesta ST / WRX STI HB / Z4 M coupe
10 Posts
Hi I am Eric from San francisco bay area.
I am in the process of buying an exige so more details to follow once the car arrived.
Currently daily drive a fiesta ST. S/O drives a WRX sti. Also have a bmw Z4M coupe.
Feel free to ask me any questions about these cars.
It was kinda sudden to acquire a lotus so i am scrambling for information. My S/O had an elise years ago so she is kinda familiar with them, really liked it and has been asking me to get one. I was kinda undecided between P-car, lotus(even evora i was interested), Jaguar Ftype, and my fd's honda s2000 ap2 that is parked on my driveway for 8 years.

Eric

·
Administrator
3,276 Posts
Welcome to LT Eric! It's a great place to learn everything you'll need before and after purchase.

Reactions: hippospyker

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi - My name is Dennis and I am currently learning about and searching for an Exige S240 for autocross and the track. I live in Southern California currently drive a MR2 Spyder and look forward to stepping up to the "real thing". So far I have found the forum to be a great source of information and I look forward to contributing to the conversation when I get my car!

·
Administrator
3,276 Posts
Hi - My name is Dennis and I am currently learning about and searching for an Exige S240 for autocross and the track. I live in Southern California currently drive a MR2 Spyder and look forward to stepping up to the "real thing". So far I have found the forum to be a great source of information and I look forward to contributing to the conversation when I get my car!
Welcome to LT Dennis! Get your ten posts in place a WTB and monitor all the FS sites often. They don't last long!

·
Administrator
3,276 Posts
Welcome to LT!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello my name is Tu. I am from Texas. I own a 2005 S2 111R. Hoping to learn more about this great car from y'all! Mine is on the right with side scoops :)

·
Administrator
3,276 Posts
Welcome to LT Tu! Hopefully you're doing ok with the winter blast in TX.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,
My name is Jack. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and am looking for my next car (Elise/Exige/Vintage Formula Ford?). My background is in Autocrossing, Spec Miata (SCCA/NASA), Jet Ski racing, and Karting. Currently drive a Rx8 and commute in a Chevy Bolt (for the CA carpool sticker).

Jack

·
Administrator
3,276 Posts
Welcome to LT Jack!

401 - 420 of 469 Posts