The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the Elise comes with a ride height adjustable suspension, would it be legal to run the car lower than the standard factory height in Stock class?

I'm thinking yes, based on rule 13.8: "Both the front and rear suspension may be adjusted through their designed range of adjustment by use of factory adjustment arrangements ..."

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
528 Posts
ConeFusion said:
Since the Elise comes with a ride height adjustable suspension, would it be legal to run the car lower than the standard factory height in Stock class?
Am I missing something?
The one problem that has been mentioned a few times is lowering the car can affect the steering geometry. I don't know whats involved with re-adjusting it to handle the new ride height. If the factory adjustments are limited it may not be a net win to lower the car.

When they get here its time to find a skid pad and start testing :)

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it would actually help is a different question, I just wanted to check if it was even a possibility running Stock.

They say that lowering the car can create some bump steer, the LSS comes with a different steering rack mounting plate to correct for the lower ride height. We won't know if lowering it another notch will do more harm or good until somebody tries it. I'm tempted to think that the adjustments wouldn't be there if using them had really nasty handling effects.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I recall reading here on the forum that someone at Lotus (I love this sort of 3rd-hand information, don't you?) said that lowering a base-suspension car one groove to the LSS position would result in hitting the bump stops frequently. I presume that lowering a LSS equipped car an additional step would have similar results.

Of course, if you were to determine the spring rates of the bump stops and obtain shocks valved to control the car when it's riding on the stops, you could lower the spring perches until the car was on the bump stops. That would only work on really smooth surfaces though. From what I've heard, Forbes Field in Topeka is not a smooth surface...

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
John Stimson said:
From what I've heard, Forbes Field in Topeka is not a smooth surface...
LOL... "entering the 'launching pad' turn."

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Randy Chase said:
LOL... "entering the 'launching pad' turn."
Don't forget the "ski jump"!

Yeah, the North Course in Topeka isn't exactly smooth. The South Course sometimes develops pot holes during the day, otherwise it's not too bad.

So the verdict is "legal" on adjusting the ride height?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Yes yes you can use any of the factory suspension adjustment capability in stock class. You just can't modify any parts to get more adjustment or different adjustment capabilty (except for changing the dampers to 1 or 2 way adjustable ones which is allowed).

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
I've heard that besides wheels/tires/springs/dampers the sport packagage made some other changes...such as a rack height change to tune bump steer.

SCCA rules allow changing dampers. But can a nonsport equipped car run some/all of the sport package stuff? Cuz you can add some of that stuff to a car by getting that option but then change some of the things out per SCCA rules.

For example, could you take a stock suspended car and add fancy dampers, the sport springs (+10%), change the ride height within whatever the factory specs permit, ADD THE RACK HEIGHT and other changes, use the different wheel sizes and so forth? What I'm getting at is does it matter which suspension is ordered in terms of stock class autocross if you want to max out the car for those purposes?

Stan

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you buy a car with base suspension, and completely convert it to the LSS setup, it's Stock legal. But you can't pick and choose, like just run the wider front wheels without changing all the other parts.

If you wanted to go directly for an optimized Stock setup, you might be better off starting with the base. Buy the LSS springs and the steering rack plate. Add some aftermarket wheels in LSS size (like SSR Comps) with sticky rubber (that fits...), and fancy adjustable aftermarket shocks.

Of course this assumes that there's nothing beyond the commonly listed parts in the Sport Pack.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts