1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...the Dodge Viper offers them as the
standard for their car which, incidently,
was clocked by Motor Trend as reaching
a 'superior slalom mph' average of 70.4 mph, not that far off the Elises' 'record breaking' slalom average of 73.2 mph.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The problem with this is not (as it was in their infancy) absolute performance. It is the comfort, weight, and price compromises required to achieve that performance.

A run flat will always ride worse than a comparable performance non-runflat.
A run flat will always cost more.
A run flat will always WEIGH more, which is probably the most important of those three to Elise owners.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Minis that come with the run flats have a wheel and tire that weighs about 50 pounds. Between the heavy OE wheel and the boat anchor runflats the car handles fine but....the accel is hurt and the high unsprung weight hurts grip and ride on bumpy surfaces. Minis that ditch the runflats and run normal tires gain very noticeable improvements. Even more if they run lighter wheels. Even though the AO48s I just installed ride worse than the AD07s, some of the ride quality factors actually improved...since something like 8-10 pounds per rear corner was removed for example.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Ridgemanron said:
...the Dodge Viper offers them as the
standard for their car which, incidently,
was clocked by Motor Trend as reaching
a 'superior slalom mph' average of 70.4 mph, not that far off the Elises' 'record breaking' slalom average of 73.2 mph.
Ahhh marketing contracts at their finest.

We will show the sheep that these run-flat tires that cost so much more than normal tires, can be soooo sporty. Then the lemmings will pay the ridiculous price!

Muahahahaha.... Muahahahahah... muaha ha. ha... .. . ha.

:p

Let's see, a set of OEM tires for the viper would run you $1500. YIKES!! ... and thats from tire rack.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Among Corvette owners, where runflat tires have been OEM on all models and years of the C5 save for the Z0-6, runflats are known as "rockflats." That should tell you something about the esteem in which they are held. They have a punishing ride and very tricky handling at the limit. Chosen so GM can claim that two sets of golf clubs will fit in the trunk.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I took the Goodyear runflats off my MC at 23,000 miles. Everything Stan stated is true. I do not think that they belong on a "sports" car. They are not bad for a car that is intended for very long trips and has no spare. The last time I put tires on my wife's Toyota Van I looked for all seasion runflats. I could not find any allseasion tire in the van's size. I think they are a great idea for a family car or for someone that may not be able to change a tire (my wife does have handicap tags). It is to bad that GM, Ford, Toyota does not offer them on family cars and fix a flat in the Vetts, Vipers and other performance cars.
John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts