The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Not trying to start anything but after looking in a book about the elise it looks like the only thing that the side of that extrusion supports is the body work.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
It only supports the body work... and all the compression, tension, and twisting forces that act on the chassis.

xtn

·
Registered
291 Posts
hahaha

"i am not sure why this car was a salvage," but I bought it, fixed it up and now I want to sell it to you! Hopefully they don't get in a wreck and find out why it was salvaged when one of the structural parts that was damaged fails.

OOPS! It's not in NJ like the ad says, it's actually in FL.

OOPS! I had the VIN wrong, here's the correct one.

The sad thing is some sucker is going to end up buying this thing. Who knows, maybe they'll never know the difference. Caveat emptor I guess.

·
Registered
319 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts

That picture says it all. I wonder how that was repaired...

Shady happenings... :no:

·
Registered
330 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
I think if a seller can plausibly deny that they knew of damage to a vehicle, there is generally nothing a buyer can do about it, but If the seller had full knowledge of severe damage through pictures and other communications, and didn't reveal it, that could be different.

I believe that if the seller in any way tries to hide that damage, i/e worked on the area, and then didn't revel the extent or nature of this work, that is definitely the end of any deniability, they actively covered it up.

I heard that knowingly selling damaged goods as whole is fraud and can result in jail time, and If the fraud goes across state boundaries, the feds may get involved. I have been told local police and feds can subpoena Ebay, email etc. and get verification whether or not the someone was ever told something via those avenues, and if they read it.

I am not a lawyer, and am not saying this is the case here, just pointing out a some completely unproven stuff I heard might possibly be the case in some alternate universe should it ever be relevant in some future unrelated situation.

gm

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have been so busy lately.
Glad to see you folks jumping on this hack..

Here is what's wrong with the car...

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
I love the wording in all of the auctions. They are virtually identical. Friend is photographer...seller is moving on to bigger and better. Must be a greta time only driving high end cars for a few months then moving up. Funny thing is they must be a b!tch to sell as two of the three auctions are relists due to debeat sellers.

·
Registered
682 Posts
They're speed holes. They make the car go faster...

Ahh... Simpsons quotes. rotfl

·
Registered
682 Posts
Nice to see he added cruise control.....
It didn't have it when I bought it..rotfl
Is that when the gas pedal gets wedged against one of those giant lumps in the floor metal? rotfl

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
It looks like the bulk of the damage is to a small alloy shelf that the bodywork mounts to.
No - the bulk of the damage is to the sill extrusion (where the orange line is in the drawing below but on the RHS) which is one of the primary chassis members.
Drawing Technical drawing Line art Diagram Auto part

I was going to say the frame was toast, but I found this picture, with that alloy shelf removed, and a smaller shelf that it rivets to:

The shelf is replaceable and it rivets to a flange that appears to be non load bearing.
OK - firstly this picture is of the front of the chassis (circled in blue on the drawing above) and not the part that was damaged; secondly no components on the chassis are replaceable.

I'm pretty keen on not writing off for the sake of it and repairing these cars - but the only valid repair for this car is a new chassis (which I believe should actually be doable financially if you can do the work yourself on this car as there is not much other damage).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.