The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was tracking my Elige last weekend and the coolant temps reached 209º. It was a hot day in Homestead Fl, 92º. Is that normal?

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Yep, that is perfectly normal. The Lotus ECU turns on the radiator cooling fans to low speed at 208 degrees Fahrenheit or when the A/C is switched on and running and will keep the fans running at low speed until the A/C is switched off or until the temp drops to 201 degrees Fahrenheit. If the temps rise to 217 degrees F. then the ECU will switch the fans to high speed and revert to low speed when the temp drops to 208 degrees Fahrenheit. If you're interested its explained in the service manual, section KH page 7. It sounds like your Elige was operating exactly like it was designed, more importantly, how was the track day?

Reactions: SS Lotus Elise

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car is fantastic! I installed a BOE REV 300 SC and it transformed the car. Top speed was increased substantially at the straights.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
The car is fantastic! I installed a BOE REV 300 SC and it transformed the car. Top speed was increased substantially at the straights.
I'm jealous, mines normally aspirated and I've had it to the track a few times, it just needs a little bit more power. I'd like to add one of the BOE kits, but I've also thought about doing a K20 mod. It will be a while till I have extra funds for either but it's only a matter of time.

·
Premium Member
4,688 Posts
Yep, that is perfectly normal. The Lotus ECU turns on the radiator cooling fans to low speed at 208 degrees Fahrenheit or when the A/C is switched on and running and will keep the fans running at low speed until the A/C is switched off or until the temp drops to 201 degrees Fahrenheit. If the temps rise to 217 degrees F. then the ECU will switch the fans to high speed and revert to low speed when the temp drops to 208 degrees Fahrenheit. If you're interested its explained in the service manual, section KH page 7. It sounds like your Elige was operating exactly like it was designed, more importantly, how was the track day?
How do the fans help you when running on track?

It's my understanding that the ECU prevents the fans from working above a certain speed (IIRC, that speed was 80mph), no?

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
How do the fans help you when running on track?

It's my understanding that the ECU prevents the fans from working above a certain speed (IIRC, that speed was 80mph), no?
Yes, you are correct the ECU switches the fans off at speed. According to the service manual "At road speeds in excess of 85 mph (135 km/h), equating to the fan stall speed, all fan functions are switched off."

That being said, I would venture to say that most of the time spent driving on most tracks is done well below 85 mph. This is especially true while in the pits or when doing a parade or familiarization lap.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,372 Posts
Yes, you are correct the ECU switches the fans off at speed. According to the service manual "At road speeds in excess of 85 mph (135 km/h), equating to the fan stall speed, all fan functions are switched off."

That being said, I would venture to say that most of the time spent driving on most tracks is done well below 85 mph. This is especially true while in the pits or when doing a parade or familiarization lap.
My fans must be constantly turning on and off due to this. While actual time spent above 85 might be less than time spent below, you will still be above that speed on your way into most corners. My average speed for one lap at my local track is 73 mph (2.55 miles & 15 turns). Edit: took the data from a lap on my phone and was 32 seconds above 85 mph and 93 seconds below 85 mph.

·
Premium Member
4,688 Posts
If I were Fernando, I would improve the efficiency of my cooling system as much as possible.

IMO, 209*F on track is less than desirable and will affect power, as well as long-term reliability.

My car -- no fans, no A/C related hardware, larger single-pass radiator, 170* thermostat, under-drive pulley for water pump -- car runs at ~185*F on track in 100*F ambient temps.

Reactions: Mr. Oz

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
I agree with Jack, 209 is higher than what you want. I have the same set up as you, I.E. REV 300 with Pro Alloy radiator and 170 degree thermostat, and mine runs about 15 degrees cooler than that in the same conditions.
If you still have the stock thermostat in place, I would replace it with a 170 degree unit.

·
Registered
51 Posts
So to get it clear, today was a hot day in Toronto and I drove my 2007 Elise N/A in town (no traffic) with engine temp going up to 197, even when I turned off the AC. I have a new radiator and collant level is good. Should I be worried? Thanks

·
Registered
102 Posts
So to get it clear, today was a hot day in Toronto and I drove my 2007 Elise N/A in town (no traffic) with engine temp going up to 197, even when I turned off the AC. I have a new radiator and collant level is good. Should I be worried? Thanks
That’s about what mine runs. And I’m in south tx in 100deg heat. I seem to remember reading that’s cool though

1 - 12 of 12 Posts