The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Glutton For Punishment
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my car, when I hit the running light button with the car running, the headlights flip up without turning on. I would like to change the behavior so that I can run the running lights and the fogs with the headlight pods down.

Does anyone have info on this, my searches have yielded nothing. Thanks

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I have an '89 non-turbo and here is how things work on my car: the turn on the fog lights the running and instrument lights must be "on". If the running lights are in the off position switching on the fog lights will not illuminate them.

There should not be any response from the headlights with either the running light or fog lights switched on. However, if you switch the headlights on the running lights and instrument illumination) will come on.

This is how things work on an '89. I would be surprised if your car is different.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,327 Posts
If you switch on just the parking lights (upper left switch on the binnacle), then the fog lights alone can be switched on (without the headlights on, or pods up).

That's how I run in rainy weather. Don't want to affect aero...:D

PS, in case no one has told you yet, never push the binnacle light switches in the middle (where the icon is). The icon will wear out.

:up:

·
Glutton For Punishment
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My parking light switch turns the parking lights on when the car is off, but when I turn the car on, the lights pop up but do not illuminate. Parking lights stay on. There must be a short, which I find shocking.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,327 Posts
There must be a short, which I find shocking.
Sarcasm? :)

Or, an open...and the current is finding it's way back to the battery through another component instead of the ground circuit. :mad:

How's the headlight switch itself (flash/highbeam) (the stalk)? Have you tried wiggling that (or disconnecting it) to see if it affects the problem? Those British Leyland switches have been known to fall apart on the inside. :panic:

Don't drive the car without the horn. That's the best driving aid we NJ drivers have. HeeHee.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,327 Posts
Have you EVER seen the fogs operating? (It's your first post so you MIGHT be a new owner)

It's possible both lamps have burned out. (Sometimes, the surge that occurs when a filament breaks can blow out the other side).

Is your Esprit Canadian? These Esprits used the fogs as daytime running lamps. The aftermarket circuitry for that was installed at LCU HQ in Atlanta. If so, those controls could have failed.

We have had a few failures of the parking lamp switch as well....(Lotus should have used a relay in that circuit)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts