The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a new head unit a week ago. The install went fine except for the fact that I cannot for the life of me figure out how to route a USB cable from the back of the unit, through the dash so that I can plug a USB stick into it.

What's the best way to accomplish this?

·
Registered
2014 Lotus Evora S 2+2 Red Velvet
44 Posts
I ran mine from the passengers side cubby to the head unit. Used a solid piece if wire and once it made it through, attached the USB cable to it with electrical tap and pulled it over very carefully.
I did buy a females USB pass through connector to mount in the passenger cubby, but never got around to using it. I usually use Bluetooth or no radio at all.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting. Did you have to take off any trim?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I initially did same thing (removed cubby panel, snaked a long, stiff wire through dash and used that to pull the USB cable back through). But then I got tired of having the cable all the way on the side of the car, I wanted it to come out in the little shelf area immediately to left of the climate control so it was unobtrusive and positioned to mount phone at middle of dash using the RLS mount. I needed to remove the dash for other work anyway (switch pack module replacement), so routed the USB cable easily with the dash off. It wasn't that bad to remove and reinstall, less than an hour in each direction.

·
Registered
2014 Lotus Evora S 2+2 Red Velvet
44 Posts
Just the passenger cubby cover where the left hand drive light cluster would be. I think it was 2 Phillips screws, pretty easy.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool. Thanks. I think I'll give that a go.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I added a line input to my head-unit (same idea as a USB) and to do it i routed it from behind the dash into the climate control shroud. I cut a hole in the side of the climate control shroud so it exits into the passengers trinket tray so it's convenient for anyone to plug into it, and you can always shove the cable back into the back side of the climate control shroud if you want to. If you have a Von Hep Dash bag, then the cable is also hidden from view (underneath the bag) unless you pull it out. Works very well for me.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I added a line input to my head-unit (same idea as a USB) and to do it i routed it from behind the dash into the climate control shroud. I cut a hole in the side of the climate control shroud so it exits into the passengers trinket tray so it's convenient for anyone to plug into it, and you can always shove the cable back into the back side of the climate control shroud if you want to. If you have a Von Hep Dash bag, then the cable is also hidden from view (underneath the bag) unless you pull it out. Works very well for me.
I did this as well. You can do it by removing the head unit and HVAC pod (two screws from underneath (IIRC). There was a plastic sheet taped in place below the head unit, but it is easy to remove and exposes a grommet that contains all the HVAC wiring. I'm not sure if you could jam a USB cable through the grommet, so it might take a little splicing...but I like it a lot better than the passenger cubbie route (which I did initially).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts