The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone knows how Lotus ran their wires for the backup camera to the head unit? I've got a friend who has experience as an audio installer that's going to help install my Clarion with reverse cam. We're trying to gather all the info before starting the work this saturday.

I've scanned through the "single to double din" thread but didn't see anything referencing how the camera wires are ran. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I would assume it was up through one of the looms running through the firewall.

I ran mine up behind the trunk latch trim, doen under the trunk carpet to the pass side corner. There is a rubber grommet up above the wheel well you can run a wire through. Then I ran it up along the black tubular support bar that runs to the top of the firewall through the big rubber grommet there, into the passenger compartment. It'll come out up near the rear seat seatbelt top mounting point. You can grab the wire by threading a bunch in then grabbing the wire with fingers under the leather trim panel. Then down along the pass side wall, onto the floor along the floor/door sill, up under the dash and into the head unit

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would assume it was up through one of the looms running through the firewall.

I ran mine up behind the trunk latch trim, doen under the trunk carpet to the pass side corner. There is a rubber grommet up above the wheel well you can run a wire through. Then I ran it up along the black tubular support bar that runs to the top of the firewall through the big rubber grommet there, into the passenger compartment. It'll come out up near the rear seat seatbelt top mounting point. You can grab the wire by threading a bunch in then grabbing the wire with fingers under the leather trim panel. Then down along the pass side wall, onto the floor along the floor/door sill, up under the dash and into the head unit
Thanks mate! Your response is the exact answer I was hoping to get. This is such an awesome forum. Thanks again!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Are we sure that the wiring isn't there already & just not used?

I'm pretty sure that Lotus would not have 1 loom for non-camera equipped cars & another for those with. These days oems tend to have minimized the number of variants that they install.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
According to the Service Parts List the wiring should be in the harness. However, the OEM camera has an electronic module that is mounted "in the boot, on LHS of rear transom".

At least from there on the wiring should be accessible.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
understand that the various aftermarket cameras use totally different wiring/plugs. Some are similar, but they vary greatly as to how they get their power, send their signal, whether it is grounded, etc.

That being said, non-tech pack cars do have a different ICE harness, as the car isn't wired for a sub despite the panel being there...so I would venture a guess it might not be wired the same as a tech pack car.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
understand that the various aftermarket cameras use totally different wiring/plugs. Some are similar, but they vary greatly as to how they get their power, send their signal, whether it is grounded, etc.

That being said, non-tech pack cars do have a different ICE harness, as the car isn't wired for a sub despite the panel being there...so I would venture a guess it might not be wired the same as a tech pack car.
Most rear cameras have at least an RCA jack for the video connection and that is what the Evora tech pack has.

The Evorra has several harness sections and, you are right, the ICE-harness is different for non-tech pack cars. However, according to the SPL the rear camera should connect to the rear harness, which is common for all cars.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
and where is that harness located? I didn't see it anywhere in any of my digging for the install. I don't doubt it, but nor did I see the rear camera wiring on the other end (in the dash)

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess I'll have to double check if the harness is already there when I pull out the HU this weekend. Would save me some time if it already is.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, i know this is a dead topic but I need help! My Evora is a Tech Pack without reversing cam. I bought an Alpine (called 125d or something...) very similar to the OEM one. Is that harness there?? I cannot see it actually but maybe it is tightened up somewhere?... I'd rather not to run a wire on that black tubular support bar but along the original loom if possible!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I've gone thru this recently after installing a new head unit. I stretched the RCA cable one too many times and had to replace the cable because it stopped working. It's an RCA cable that runs to the rear seat area to where the Alpine backup cam controller is. It's not a harness just the RCA cable. You'll need a 15-20' cable. The control box was mounted in the subwoofer and amp area. From the controller there is a cable that runs thru to the rear backup cam.

It's just a normal setup like any other aftermarket backup cam set. I didn't have to run a cable to the cam as mine was already in place. You'll need to remove all of the rear seat, the window/speaker panel in the back and passenger side sill covers and the trim that runs up to the dashboard. Im pretty sure you'll be stuck running the cables to the front and the rear as they aren't integrated into the loom.

You'll also need to remove the glove box to help you snake the cable under the top dash to the stereo. It's a pain but not too hard. There should already be a path to route the cables from the controller to the rear as mentioned in the other posts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There should already be a path to route the cables from the controller to the rear as mentioned in the other posts.
That is exactly what I'm looking for, I'll have a closer look tomorrow. Wiring the controller up to the head unit is no big deal, I'll find out a way. The problem is from that module to the trunk! The original loom goes through a small black "plastic corrugated conduit" (how do you call that thing?!) and the cam connector simply won't pass through it...

Thanks for the help!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts