The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone explain to me why we as a country should care from a political point of view about what is going on in georgia right now? I have no idea what the georgie-russian relations were like(obviously bad)

I think we should just let the russian tanks roll...
if we step in now we are going to keep the #1 hated country in the world hat
We should learn from the mistake that is the iraq war... let someone else deal with the facist dictators, after russia rolls through georgia into whatever country is next, people will start saying "well you know those americans... they are not so bad"

even then, let the UN handle it, and maybe send a SMALL force in with the UN peace keepers

Let someone else be the superpower everyone loves to hate:shrug:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
BBC NEWS | Business | Giant Caspian oil pipeline opens

Sadly, again its about oil.

You see, Russia does not like the idea of losing its oil monopoly. They are trying to get Ossetia and Azerbaijan annexed into Russia.

Georgia wants this all to its self, and the US backers of their corrupt president want it this way too.

I really feel sorry for the civilians here.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
from a humanitarian perspective its horrible and deplorable... and we are sending aid

from a political perspective its a giant mess we shouldnt get involved in

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
BBC NEWS | Business | Giant Caspian oil pipeline opens

Sadly, again its about oil.

You see, Russia does not like the idea of losing its oil monopoly. They are trying to get Ossetia and Azerbaijan annexed into Russia.

Georgia wants this all to its self, and the US backers of their corrupt president want it this way too.

I really feel sorry for the civilians here.

You know what is interesting? I watched a lot of American news and a lot of Russian news.. The American news seem to be exactly the opposite..

Companies, like BP for example, shut their oil lines off. Its not about oil.

Georgia started attacking the 2 cities in questions because most of the residents hold a Russian citizenship and Russian passports. Most of them get medical care from Russia. Russia went in to defend their own citizens and any Russian peace keepers that were already there.

I do not think that USA should get involved, although Gorgia is a strong USA ally, and I do think that Russian should pull out just about now and leave some peace keepers behind..

:popcorn:

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Here's my take on this:

1) Bush is sending help because he's been a strong support of Georgia coming into Nato. The support could be due to oil or economic advantages or perhaps for strategic position incase Russia starts going back to the "old ways."

2) Another reason for getting invovled is to show the US' influence on the worlds stage. I suspect Russian's motives for the disproportion response is the same too. It's all about image.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I was utterly amazed when i read some US-based media sources regarding the ongoing war. Couldnt remember last time i read so much bull****, stupidity and ignorance all in one :eek: oh, and McCain's comment... :huh:

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I'm still waiting to receive my share of the oil booty from Iraq!!!!

Shouldn't it be like the Alaska fund deal? Did you all get your checks, or did we plumb FORGET to take the oil after conquering that country?

Bush makes war for oil, but doesn't get any oil....:shrug:

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Most US media sources are complete rubbish as they are managed by executives from the entertainment industry. Traditional objective news reporting has taken a back seat to sensationalism and profits. News has been skewed to report what we want to hear as opposed to what is happening.

A decent explanation of the roots of the current conflict can be found here.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
This is about oil.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
This is about oil.
+1 It's primarily about controlling the oil pipeline and the whole Caspian Sea region. This invasion took a long time to plan and execute. The amount of force being used is equivalent to killing a fly with a sledge hammer. The Russians have no intention of leaving Georgia. When the dust clears we'll see the toll of 'collateral damage'.

The Russians did not go to the UN to get resolutions or sanctions against Georgia for any actions they may have been taking against Ossetia. They unilaterally planned and executed an invasion of a sovereign nation.

They (Russians) understand that diplomacy is a waste of time and that the world is governed by the aggressive use of force. Some day we'll wake up and understand that fact.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Russia's just following our lead

"in the 21st century, nations don't invade other nations".... the hypocrisy continues.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wenld5jcyUQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wenld5jcyUQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
"in the 21st century, nations don't invade other nations".... the hypocrisy continues.
There's a big difference between our invasion of Iraq (I guess that is what you are referring to) and Russia's invasion of Georgia. If you can't see all the differences there's no point in discussing it with you.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
There's a big difference between our invasion of Iraq (I guess that is what you are referring to) and Russia's invasion of Georgia. If you can't see all the differences there's no point in discussing it with you.
To the Russians, there is no difference. Our actions in Iraq have emboldened them.

A Russian officer, who identified himself only as the deputy division commander, announced, simply, that they were not letting the Georgian police into the town.

When asked whether more fighting could erupt, the Russian commander answered with an ominous question.

"If the American president can take Baghdad, then why can't the Russians take Tbilisi?" he asked.

Tbilisi is the capital of Georgia.
Note that Tbilisi isn't within the disputed region of Ossetia. But it's really close to something else...

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Russia didn't just send in the tanks for no reason, They retaliated against Georgia's attacks.

Not exactly true. Russia set Georgia up. The Russians instigated an uprising in Ossetia. Georgian troops rolled in, and Russia used that as an excuse to invade Georgia. This whole situation is a setup from Putin.

The Ukraine better be paying attention.

·
Registered
438 Posts
This is about oil.
REALLY? Because, every source I've looked at (including the CIA factbook) indicates NO SOURCES of Oil (production) in S. Ossetia. The economy (if you can call it that) is agricultural ---the region is harsh/mountainous.

And EVERYTHING I've read and heard indicates Gerogia was the first to start a military action (for the second time --the first a few years ago) against S. Ossetia. Russia, it could be said, came to the defense of South Ossetia....at least at first. Now, it appears they've gone much further than defending S-O.
No clean hands in this p-ssing match. And hopefully the US stays well clear of it.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts