The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Shopping for an Evora...
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of the several Evoras we've checked out recently in our search, we've noticed rust on the wheel hubs is not uncommon. I never used to pay attention to that until my wife's brand new Honda Pilot developed rust there within months of our purchase. Subsequent research revealed that some brand forums (BMW is one I remember seeing) had discussions about painting (!!!) or at least coating the hubs with various treatments to prevent rust.

This is rust on the hubs, not the brake rotors.

Is this something to worry about on a Lotus? I'm very comfortable with removing the wheels and applying some sort of protective coating (hopefully clear) to prevent rust from forming. I'm talking about the normally visible areas, not the mating surface where the wheel touches the hub. Other brand forums discuss treating their hubs to prevent it, just wondering if that's a "thing" in the Lotus community too. A search here didn't reveal much.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
733 Posts
It's a non issue

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
You can always apply anti seize (the grey stuff) to them on occasion. Non issue besides that. I use the stuff on my winter vehicles.

·
Registered
Shopping for an Evora...
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can always apply anti seize (the grey stuff) to them on occasion. Non issue besides that.
By "anti-seize", do you mean between the hub and wheel? That's not what I meant. I'm speaking strictly as an appearance thing. It just looks bad to have rust next to those beautiful calipers and wheels.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
By "anti-seize", do you mean between the hub and wheel? That's not what I meant. I'm speaking strictly as an appearance thing. It just looks bad to have rust next to those beautiful calipers and wheels.
I clean mine up with Evaporust or a wire wheel, then use satin black VHT chassis paint.

·
Registered
Shopping for an Evora...
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I clean mine up with Evaporust or a wire wheel, then use satin black VHT chassis paint.
So you do put a coating (paint) on your hubs? I'm thinking of a clear coating - I don't necessarily want to change the appearance, just prevent the rust.

·
Super Moderator
733 Posts
Maybe give it a evaporust treatment. I have used it on the vented area of the rotor to hold down but not totally eliminate rust without having anything on it that will heat and bake or goo off. Could be used on hubs as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts