The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

Looking to make my first purchase and i've got a quick question. I can't get a solid answer if this Elise was garaged and i was wondering if you guys know any tell tale signs that it wasn't. Looks like there's some rust on the brake rotors... is that common for all Lotus or am i looking at one that might have sat outside?

Any info or other ways to tell would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

It's located in Allentown PA 18k mi Had racing stripes... if the previous owner is on here?

[edit - The rust doesn't appear to be on the rotors themselves, but on the space between the rotor and the rim. Also, they removed the racing stripes because they were faded]

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
You can get what looks like rust from washing the wheels. You usually have to drive it around the block or something to clear it. That may or may not be the case here.

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
If you take an Elise/Exige that has lived its entire life in the garage, moved only to back out and wash, then pulled back into its garage....after you've washed it, before you can finish drying the car, you will have this type of rust on your rotors. It will wear off the first time you apply the brakes to come to a stop.

Don't be alarmed if the car wasn't garaged. Simply inspect its condition. Most Lotus' spent a lot of their time outside, being rained on, at their dealerships.

At the height of Elise sales, Criswell Lotus in Gaithersburg had 18+ Elises sitting outside, day and night, with only one sitting in the showroom.

If you're looking for the previous owner here one presumes you're looking to buy from a dealer. The dealer likely couldn't make any commitment to you that the car was garage kept before it came into their possession.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Rust occurs on all iron-based rotors (which is virtually all of them.) It is basically unavoidable - particularly if you live in a climate that is moist (like the PNW) but just about anywhere it will occur. It is not harmful, and driving for a bit will scrape all of it off (and will be noisy when doing so probably.)

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Are you talking about surface rust on rotors? Or Rust on the actual caliper?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hey all,

Looking to make my first purchase and i've got a quick question. I can't get a solid answer if this Elise was garaged and i was wondering if you guys know any tell tale signs that it wasn't. Looks like there's some rust on the brake rotors... is that common for all Lotus or am i looking at one that might have sat outside?

Any info or other ways to tell would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

It's located in Allentown PA 18k mi Had racing stripes... if the previous owner is on here?

[edit - The rust doesn't appear to be on the rotors themselves, but on the space between the rotor and the rim. Also, they removed the racing stripes because they were faded]
Not to make you crazy, but rust on some of the fasteners in the engine bay is rather common as well.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Yes, it is normal on the rotor hub, which is what you are referring to. I painted mine silver to inhibit corrosion.
Michael
I had the same problem and also painted mine (twice so far IIRC).
And my car lived in a garage her entire life (other than being driven)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is all great info guys, thanks.

Wexler - I think we're all a little crazy about the details when looking to buy one of these.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Excellent advice ChronosWS. I'll be spending my afternoon reading through this. I've read ALOT on this forum, but there's always more to learn.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
If you have doubts about being garaged, look for sun-wear, such as greatly faded black trim around the rear deck lid and interior pieces such as the dash.

BTW I love that color, (looks like Laser Blue)... almost as nice as Polar Blue.

·
Registered
176 Posts
haha I've actually been looking at buying this car for the past few months. They've had it since Dec or Jan or so. I've been meaning to call them for the past couple of weeks or so, but I've been putting it off.

Rust on the rotors is pretty normal. I was out of town for a month or so and the rotors on my car had a little bit of rust on them when I got back home. Not a big deal. It'll scrape off when you drive it.

Anyways, good luck in your purchase!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DarkAardvark - yeah it's an almost perfect match for what i'm looking for. Some other forum members were nice enough to offer to go check it out for me tomorrow. I'll keep you all updated on what happens.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
haha... i'm going to assume it's just the Lotus car gods telling me this wasn't the right one. Darn rusty rotors.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts