The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Does anyone else have problems with rust in this area? I've got it on both left and right side. I had forgotten to mention upfront the last time I was at the dealer and showed it to the mechanic right as I was leaving. He said no big deal, but as I look at it again, it looks pretty serious.

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've tried bunches of times to upload pics and can't get it to work. The rust is in the engine compartment of the Exige. It's part of the structure that braces the roll bar, I think. It is on each side and there are 2 what look like open pipes toward the rear of the engine compartment. The seat belt tensioner is attached to the right bar and the antifreeze container is attached to the left bar. I hope that helps.

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
mx1...you have a PM.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I noticed this rust on the rear subframe or what I think is rust. Wasnt sure what to do about it but didnt get around to posting about it until now. I have seen pictures of others rear subframes which looked similar.

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
The sub-frame is aluminum, right? Aluminum doesn't rust. Must likely it's hard water stains.

·
Registered
346 Posts
The real problem is all the cars in Europe that have started to de-laminate. Get out that toothpaste to protect the glue or face sending the chassis back to Lotus.

Waiting for pictures of brake rotors to upload...
I read all your posts.... your frekin hilarious

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
my sub frame looks like yours.it is galvanized.before i put the clam back on.i hit the rusty spots with cold galvanized spray paint to protect it.the stuff comes in a rattle can.now what is the deal with the epoxy holding the chassis together?toothpaste?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help with the pics, Tracy.

·
Registered
346 Posts
what is the deal with the epoxy holding the chassis together?toothpaste?
A joke on SELOC that continues to resurface causing the uninitiated to brush toothpaste on on all exposed glue to prevent the expense of a "re-bonding"

Sorry, too much time spent reading about this stuff.

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
Thanks for the help with the pics, Tracy.
My pleasure...those were HUGE files...no wonder they were taking so long. I just made them smaller.

·
Older but getting faster
524 Posts
my sub frame looks like yours.it is galvanized.before i put the clam back on.i hit the rusty spots with cold galvanized spray paint to protect it.the stuff comes in a rattle can.now what is the deal with the epoxy holding the chassis together?toothpaste?
Good idea, but be sure to wire brush rust spots down to bright metal before cold galvanizing. I'm in the steel contracting business ( hence my goofy nick-name :D ), and we use the stuff all the time for repairs or touching up field welded galvanized steel.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yeah the rusty tubes are common. Tommasio of Really Light Stuff fame was selling some caps to keep water out of them at one time.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Yeah the rusty tubes are common. Tommasio of Really Light Stuff fame was selling some caps to keep water out of them at one time.
Yes, I still have a few laying around. The caps should have come from the factory.

There is a thread somewhere...

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Good idea, but be sure to wire brush rust spots down to bright metal before cold galvanizing. I'm in the steel contracting business ( hence my goofy nick-name :D ), and we use the stuff all the time for repairs or touching up field welded galvanized steel.
i did wire wheel the rust off first.i forgot to mention that before.i had also worked for a hand rail company.we did some galvanized gates that needed field welding.the touch up paint works well and lasts for many years.i will also look for the caps at my local hardware store.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Does Aluminum Rust?

I'm a newbie. I was wondering whether the aluminum in the car will rust quicker than a normal car. Found this on the web. Sorry in advance to all of you that already know this. (I didn't)

Does Aluminum Rust?
Aluminum corrodes but it does not rust. Rust refers only to iron and steel corrosion.

Aluminum is actually very prone to corrosion. However, aluminum corrosion is aluminum oxide, a very hard material that actually protects the aluminum from further corrosion. Aluminum oxide corrosion also looks a lot more like aluminum, so it isn't as easy to notice as rusted iron.

When iron corrodes the color changes and it actually expands. This expanding and color change can produce large red flakes that we all know as rust. Unlike aluminum oxide, the expanding and flaking off of rust exposes new metal to further rusting. This why it is so important to provide a barrier so rust doesn't start.

Does Aluminum Rust?

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
Not the rear subframe (that holds the engine) - its galvanised steel.
Ah... there you go. I thought it was all aluminum.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts