The Lotus Cars Community banner

Rusted and broken bolts that hold the deck lid.

469 15
I am doing some work on my exige. When I was taking the rear deck lid off all of the bolts where badly rusted and broke off. Anyone have any experience with this, or an idea on the best way to extract these? I would normally use heat, but that doesn't seem like a good idea with fiberglass.
Tire Wheel Grille Vehicle Automotive lighting
Motor vehicle Hood Grille Automotive design Bumper
Grille Automotive lighting Car Automotive tire Hood
Tire Wheel Grille Vehicle Automotive lighting

Grille Automotive lighting Car Automotive tire Hood

Motor vehicle Hood Grille Automotive design Bumper
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
14,465 Posts
Maybe heat just the stud with soldering gun big tip. They are probably glued in and some heat will help soften epoxy based adhesives. Try visegrips after heating.

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Us a dremel to cut a vertical line on top, then use a flat head screwdriver

If it’s a stud and not a bolt you made need to cut it flush and tack weld a new stud.

not familiar with the Exige hatch.

·
Registered
5,285 Posts
I'd try soak with penetrating oil (overnight), then slotting the end with a Dremel for a screw driver. Alternative to slotting is grinding flats on opposite sides and putting a wrench on it. Of course you could go my brute force method and try grabbing the protruding screw with Vise Grips.

I would not recommend heat around the composite.

Good Luck!
Kiyoshi

·
Administrator
14,465 Posts
Just to clarify I wasn't suggesting heat on or near the lid itself just to the tip of the bolt with a high wattage soldering gun. Hold a couple of ice cubes on the lid next to bolts if worried. It's same theory as torch and freeze spray if trying to separate larger rusted items. I've had to use the heat on stainless fasteners on boats when somebody has glassed in a nut rather than thru bolt or create solid epoxy threaded area. I agree with trying penetrating oil.

The bolts really don't look that badly rusted. Were you using impact gun to remove?

Worse case you have to cut the nuts out and bed new ones in using epoxy

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Exige, Solar yellow
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone! I may try soaking it in penetrating fluid, and the dremel. Heat is normally what I would try first but it is definitely a second or third option for me right now, followed by the carbon option.

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
1,275 Posts
That’s pretty unusual,no apparent signs of rust.
Obviously there really stuck or you tightened them rather than loosened them.
I would drill a 3/32 hole in the center of the bolt then a 3/16 hole.The smaller drill makes it easier to get a hole started in the center of the bolt.Once you have a hole through the bolt you can use an easy out to extract it.

Reactions: Catsailr27

·
Registered
122 Posts
Try 'Castle Thrust Penetrating Oil" Best I've used, Hose them down and let them sit over night or even longer. Once in a while tap the the bolts, that helps break them free. A BMW dealer left a can in the wife's car so I tried it and worked good. Went back to dealer to get a can, they had many on the shelf. Would not sell any. Dealer only product. Yah Right. Just got a case of 24 online. You could also very carefully drill out center of bolts to use an 'Easy Out'. Or start drilling with a small diameter drill and increase size bit by bit, eventually you'll get'em out. Center punch the bolts, drill slowly and use new sharp drill bits. Before you know it you'll be a pro.....Good luck

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Try 'Castle Thrust Penetrating Oil" Best I've used, Hose them down and let them sit over night or even longer. Once in a while tap the the bolts, that helps break them free. A BMW dealer left a can in the wife's car so I tried it and worked good. Went back to dealer to get a can, they had many on the shelf. Would not sell any. Dealer only product. Yah Right. Just got a case of 24 online. You could also very carefully drill out center of bolts to use an 'Easy Out'. Or start drilling with a small diameter drill and increase size bit by bit, eventually you'll get'em out. Center punch the bolts, drill slowly and use new sharp drill bits. Before you know it you'll be a pro.....Good luck
Great idea! Lol.

That’s pretty unusual,no apparent signs of rust.
Obviously there really stuck or you tightened them rather than loosened them.
I would drill a 3/32 hole in the center of the bolt then a 3/16 hole.The smaller drill makes it easier to get a hole started in the center of the bolt.Once you have a hole through the bolt you can use an easy out to extract it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was not using an impact gun to remove them, and I I was definitely loosening them. The bolt where a little rusty, but down where the nut is set into the lid was very rusty. They are taking a long bath penetrating fluid. Then I am probably going to try cutting a slot in with a dremel.
Fluid Automotive lighting Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle

Coin Wood Currency Automotive tire Money

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
1,419 Posts
I used the 50-50 acetone/atf mix on the windshield wiper arm nut on a Europa. It flat out would not come off, put that stuff on (lots of bare fiberglass all over the place, no damage,) and it spun off practically by finger. If you're concerned, put a few drops somewhere not visible.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I used the 50-50 acetone/atf mix on the windshield wiper arm nut on a Europa. It flat out would not come off, put that stuff on (lots of bare fiberglass all over the place, no damage,) and it spun off practically by finger. If you're concerned, put a few drops somewhere not visible.
Excellent! I will be trying this.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts