The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Exige, Solar yellow
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing some work on my exige. When I was taking the rear deck lid off all of the bolts where badly rusted and broke off. Anyone have any experience with this, or an idea on the best way to extract these? I would normally use heat, but that doesn't seem like a good idea with fiberglass.
Tire Wheel Grille Vehicle Automotive lighting
Motor vehicle Hood Grille Automotive design Bumper
Grille Automotive lighting Car Automotive tire Hood
Tire Wheel Grille Vehicle Automotive lighting

Grille Automotive lighting Car Automotive tire Hood

Motor vehicle Hood Grille Automotive design Bumper

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone! I may try soaking it in penetrating fluid, and the dremel. Heat is normally what I would try first but it is definitely a second or third option for me right now, followed by the carbon option.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was not using an impact gun to remove them, and I I was definitely loosening them. The bolt where a little rusty, but down where the nut is set into the lid was very rusty. They are taking a long bath penetrating fluid. Then I am probably going to try cutting a slot in with a dremel.
Fluid Automotive lighting Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle

Coin Wood Currency Automotive tire Money

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I used the 50-50 acetone/atf mix on the windshield wiper arm nut on a Europa. It flat out would not come off, put that stuff on (lots of bare fiberglass all over the place, no damage,) and it spun off practically by finger. If you're concerned, put a few drops somewhere not visible.
Excellent! I will be trying this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts