The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, ,lucky me i've got 4 slashed tires... basically everyones tires for 5 blocks were slashed. Can i get my car onto a flat bed without any air in the tires? It's a sidewall slash at the top of tire so i'm guessing the aerosol inflater wont work.

Last resort question if it wont fit on a flat bed... anybody got at least a couple spare front wheels we can mount on there so i can at least get it onto a flat bed? I'd be happy to pay $100 or more for some quick help.

If it can't be put on a flat bed because the options are otherwise looking really difficult.

thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
i can't wait to drunk call you ROTFL. best of luck man there are some good guys in CA i'm sure someone will help you out. if i was there i'd just pick up the car for you and set it on the flat bed ;)

·
Registered
557 Posts
That really sucks, what street were you parked on? I hope a camera somewhere along that stretched recorded something.

I'd think you'd be okay with no air just to get it on a flatbed.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
instead of flat bed it that costs much more, if you have second car, why don't buy a jack and jackstands, jack it up, put the jackstands at the jack points, loosen the tires, bring it to the tire shop and get new tires? i know it's a hassle, but if you are willing to borrow two front tires and jack it up, might as well jack up all four, all you need is jackstands.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
instead of flat bed it that costs much more, if you have second car, why don't buy a jack and jackstands, jack it up, put the jackstands at the jack points, loosen the tires, bring it to the tire shop and get new tires? i know it's a hassle, but if you are willing to borrow two front tires and jack it up, might as well jack up all four, all you need is jackstands.
and.....umm.....make sure you put them in the right place. !!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the tires aren't going to be available till monday at least which prompts the need to get it off the street. I'm parked just off mission street in a 1 hour parking spot (found out when i went to move it in the morning.) Fortunately i was standing there when a meter maid drove by and chalked the tires and pointed out it has 4 flats so he said he'd "consider" not giving me a ticket, so i'm gonna need to get it off the street today or i am going to start getting tickets... If it was somewhere it could sit for a couple days i'd go the jackstand route.

I've got 100 miles free towing with my AAA so the real question at this point is if the driver can get my car on their truck or if i have to pay for it through a company down in redwood city who said they routinely to ferrari's and lambo so they'd be surprised if they couldn't get it up onto the truck... we'll see...

·
Registered
61 Posts
It may be a really bad idea and I've not done the measurements, but I wonder if you could put it 'on rails' by ramping it onto some 4x4 wooden posts and then driving it the few feet it would take to get to the rear of the flat bed. I think MacGyver did something like that once in a car with flat tires and a railroad track. ;)

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I think the flat tires will cause major clearance issues. BUT, they can be overcome with some wood. A 2" thick bit of wood should raise up the front end enough, but you will need enough wood to cover some distance. Or a set of four 2x4s and keep moving them. Most flatbed guys carry wood.

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
Do you have any pics of this? Hard to believe someone could do this over a 5 block area.

Sure, you don't have a ex or something, that doesn't like you?-poke-

Either way, Randy's idea with the wood would work. Good luck. I would loan you a set if you were closer, but I am 400 miles away from you.
It's San Francisco. I used to live in the marina where there are lots of nice cars and we would get egged several times a year. My Boxster was egged 3 times and my neighbor's Boxster was egged 8 times. Whoever it is would hit up several blocks at a time.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
I'd suggest calling AAA and getting a dolly tow. They lift the front (or rear) and they put the other end on dollies that have their own wheels. Any AAA contract station will know exactly how to handle the situation.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
so even with 4x4's and the little transition piece they use you can't get it on a flat bed. Fortunately the slashers didn't use a big knife so the tires would kinda hold a little air so we put some air in the front tires and then it made it on okay.

Also, there's no way you could get anthing under the chin with front tires flat... i had my car towed once for parking in a tow away zone (the parking lane turns into a commuter lane in the morning and i didn't read the signs carefully enough) and they picked up the front end and pulled it in neutral to the lot a few blocks away. Anyway, there's just enough space to get the arm under the car with air IN the tires.

You could use a set of board to get it on without air in the tires but you'd need a lot of time on your hands, a skill saw and probably 15" of 2x4. just glad we could get the fronts to hold some air...

What does it look like? Madness... people walking around trying to figure out what to do with their cars... some people putting on spares, tow trucks pulling cars, my friends tires (both passenger side) were slashed 3 blocks away. Everycar for blocks were slashed. Most were only 2 tires, but they musta really liked my lotus! TADTS You can figure it'll probably be similar on sunday and monday as people continue to go to their cars and find they have slashed tires, becuase a lot of people don't move their car from friday night to monday morning...

The good news was that i had driveways on both sides of my car (the ultimate parallel parking spot) so i had plenty of room to pull forward and backward to get the car out into the street and line it up with the truck. The tires were in good shape and they held the bead well so there was no trouble driving it very gently around to position it.

oh, i had the AAA+ so i have 100 miles of free towing... so i brought it to where i had the new tires put on 3 months ago (much closer to my place in redwood city anyway)! I'm glad i didn't put on very expensive tires... i need to check with my insurance to see if it's wise to claim it.

oh and actually it may have been quite a bit more than 5 blocks... i wouldn't be surprised if 100 cars were hit. The tow truck driver said cars were hit much further away than what i saw myself.

One guy had his windshield popped and he said he knew who did it... that he was talking to the guys who were saying they were gonna slash peoples tires... and that they were gonna break his windshield... which they did... seems a little strange story when you start thinking about it, but hey, strange things happen in the mission. Does they know these guys? Did he do something to piss them off and they went on a tirade?... who knows.

·
LotusRaceShop.com
537 Posts
Give me a call (408-725-4243) on Sunday if I can help. I'm open Saturdays from 11-5. but cant read all the post or I'd replied sooner. I have some tires I can mount for you. I'll be in on this Sunday at about 9am. If you have it towed in, You'll be able to drive it home the same day. I might be closed Monday.

Hey guys, ,lucky me i've got 4 slashed tires... basically everyones tires for 5 blocks were slashed. Can i get my car onto a flat bed without any air in the tires? It's a sidewall slash at the top of tire so i'm guessing the aerosol inflater wont work.

Last resort question if it wont fit on a flat bed... anybody got at least a couple spare front wheels we can mount on there so i can at least get it onto a flat bed? I'd be happy to pay $100 or more for some quick help.

If it can't be put on a flat bed because the options are otherwise looking really difficult.

thanks ahead of time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts