The Lotus Cars Community banner

S1 club

679 17
I bought my first S1 today! A 77 with original Tartan interior. I’m really excited about it. Always wanted an original S1. Just thought I’d share my enthusiasm with like minded friends.
Car Vehicle Land vehicle Gear shift Automotive design

Wheel Cloud Tire Sky Vehicle
Wheel Tire Cloud Car Sky
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
14,497 Posts
Congratulations! Filling out that Lotus lineup I see!

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
1,473 Posts
Looks awesome! Is that your other cars in the background or where you bought it from? Any of those others for sale?

·
4,403 Posts
Is that a California plate I see? Northern California by chance?
I know of a Northern California white S1 (gel coat car) with original tartan that looks very similar condition to yours, although your headrests look much brighter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Congratulations! I may have its twin. I have 139H. Originally yellow, painted red a few decades ago, but holding up well along with its original tartan upholstery. I've had it for about 18 months and absolutely love it and drive it regularly. Drove it non-stop for 3 hours at 70 to 85 MPH a couple of weekends ago. It ran like a Swiss watch, did not miss a beat.
Did you get the matching shoes?
Shoe Outdoor shoe Walking shoe Hood Denim

At the weekly car show:
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Hood

Have a great time with it!

Jeff

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congratulations! Filling out that Lotus lineup I see!
I'm slowly working on it. I want to add a 79 JPS and a white w/ red interior S-3 Turbo. Those are few & far between, but I hope to be in the position to buy one when they come back around for sale. I missed a really nice JPS on Bring A Trailer last year, I just wasn't in the position to buy it at the time. I had a nice original 87 S3 HCI a while back that I sold to buy the Elise that I'm using for Auto-Cross now. I regret selling it the guy did a great job bringing it back to life. I saw it at a local car show and instantly had sellers remorse.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Congratulations! I may have its twin. I have 139H. Originally yellow, painted red a few decades ago, but holding up well along with its original tartan upholstery. I've had it for about 18 months and absolutely love it and drive it regularly. Drove it non-stop for 3 hours at 70 to 85 MPH a couple of weekends ago. It ran like a Swiss watch, did not miss a beat.
Did you get the matching shoes?
View attachment 1325024
At the weekly car show:
View attachment 1325025

Have a great time with it!

Jeff
LOL - I'm gonna have to get a pair of those shoes to go with the car. Love It !

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
I'm slowly working on it. I want to add a 79 JPS and a white w/ red interior S-3 Turbo. Those are few & far between, but I hope to be in the position to buy one when they come back around for sale. I missed a really nice JPS on Bring A Trailer last year, I just wasn't in the position to buy it at the time. I had a nice original 87 S3 HCI a while back that I sold to buy the Elise that I'm using for Auto-Cross now. I regret selling it the guy did a great job bringing it back to life. I saw it at a local car show and instantly had sellers remorse.
They are few and far between because S3 Turbo Esprits don't exist. At least not from the factory. The S3 Esprit and Turbo Esprit are two different cars. The S3 is Type 85; the Turbo Esprit is Type 82. Lotus even advertised them together as separate cars. I believe none of the true S3s were brought to the US initially, but a couple found their way to Canada.

Automotive parking light Wheel Car Land vehicle Tire

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They are few and far between because S3 Turbo Esprits don't exist. At least not from the factory. The S3 Esprit and Turbo Esprit are two different cars. The S3 is Type 85; the Turbo Esprit is Type 82. Lotus even advertised them together as separate cars. I believe none of the true S3s were brought to the US initially, but a couple found their way to Canada.

View attachment 1325044

View attachment 1325044
oh ? I didn’t know that. I thought the S3 came in either a turbo or naturally aspirated version but I guess that’s not exactly how it was marketed. Well I learned something here.

·
Registered
1985 Excel RHD
200 Posts
I'm slowly working on it. I want to add a 79 JPS and a white w/ red interior S-3 Turbo. Those are few & far between, but I hope to be in the position to buy one when they come back around for sale. I missed a really nice JPS on Bring A Trailer last year, I just wasn't in the position to buy it at the time.
Right after that JPS was on BAT this one came up at a small auction in PA. I was bidding on it, but didn't end up with it. Been regretting it ever since. The seller here picked up for a very reasonable price, fixed a few things and then listed it on FB. I thought that he sold it, but he just put it back up at a lower price. Located in NY now.
Edit- I don't know why the link looks funny, but it takes me to the listing.
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle

·
4,403 Posts
[snip]. I believe none of the true S3s were brought to the US initially, but a couple found their way to Canada.
There are two active Lotus Esprit S3 owners on Facebook Esprit group.
Both are RHD.
One red 85 in Los Angeles, CA.
One black 85 in Phoenix,AZ.

I remember 5-8 years ago another S3 for sale in Las Vegas, Nevada - I recall it to be ice blue, but not 100% sure. It too was RHD.

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
Right after that JPS was on BAT this one came up at a small auction in PA. I was bidding on it, but didn't end up with it. Been regretting it ever since. The seller here picked up for a very reasonable price, fixed a few things and then listed it on FB. I thought that he sold it, but he just put it back up at a lower price. Located in NY now.
View attachment 1325072
As most know, Mario Andretti was presented an S2 JPS Esprit to commemorate his world championship. It's still around somewhere, has change hands a few times.

Richard Paramint drove up to visit Andretti at his home in PA after LOG a couple weeks ago. He posted up on LinkedIn that Mario gifted him the steering wheel that was original to that car.

The current owner probably thinks, every time he drives the car: "My hands are on this wheel where Mario's were." Apparently, nope.

Smile Bookcase Shelf Product Book

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
View attachment 1325072
I was considering this one but it's a little rough and when it comes to having a JPS, I'd rather hold out and pay more for one of the nicer ones.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts