·
Registered
67 Posts
I guess that is one way to get the black rims.:D

Hope everyone got out ok.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Is the possiblility of a fire that common that we might want to add a fire extinguisher? What part of the engine fails? Is it a fuel/oil fire or does the engine just blow up?

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
In my experience, engine fires have started when a leaking fuel line hits the exhaust manifold. An oil line can do it too.

I saw it happen to an MGF at Brands Hatch Raceway this last December. Fortunetly for the MG, an elise carrying a fire extinguisher came to the rescue.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know the probability of a Lotus catching fire. I don't know it's any worse than any other car. I don't know having a portable extinguisher would have made any difference in the above pics.

I do know, that there is an incredible helpless feeling when a car catches fire, and it can be a very small fire at first, but there is not much you can do about it without an extinguisher at hand.

For me, it's a worthwhile investment.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Randy,

I think the trick is putting it out while it is still small. There is a small window of opportunity to do that, such as the MG case. Seriously, had the elise not been there with the extinguisher, even the corner worker wouldnt have made it in time, and by the time the track fire truck arrived, the car would have been in flames.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Randy Chase said:

I do know, that there is an incredible helpless feeling when a car catches fire, and it can be a very small fire at first, but there is not much you can do about it without an extinguisher at hand.

For me, it's a worthwhile investment.
Agreed. I have an extinguisher in my Defender 90 and plan to have one in the Liz.

Better safe than sorry. We had a truck catch fire on a trail ride a couple years ago and luckily several of us we able to help put the fire out before it got out of hand.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I think having an extinguisher whenever you're playing with fire is a Good Thing. And an internal combustion engine certainly qualifies as playing with fire. That's why all my cars have a fire extinguisher. Got one in my kitchen, too.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Please EVERYONE carry a fire extinquisher!! It's not for just your car. I can't tell you the momentary helpless feeling it was to rush over to a car accident which had just happened and not have a fire extinguisher. As the car burned and the person inside pleaded and cryed "don't let me burn" and for me to free them from the car I only had wished I had one in my car. Luckily I noticed an auto bodyshop across the street and knew with all the chemicals they used they for sure would have one. I stole one off there wall and put the fire out. I can't tell you the guilt I would have had if they would have burned in front of my eyes all for not having a 5lbs fire extiquisher in my car. I have one in every car now. It's not just for the riceboys ya know :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
To carry on the post mortem, what are those two vertical pieces toward the front of the car? A pillars? Incredible photos!

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Thanks for the info and yes, I will add a fire extinguisher to my Elise, also.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Hmmm... maybe that bottle holder (pocket between the seats when you order the Touring Package) would be great for a fire extinguisher.

Bob

1 - 20 of 42 Posts