The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It needs a new tub, and windscreen aperature. Seems to be about £1,500-£2,000 for the pair. And about $500 shipping.
Surely total costs double that. It has previously been licensed, and speaking with DOT licensable again.
Question is, $10,000 and lots of work
Worth it or not? Probably at least a K20.
Probably never know unless I bite the bullet

Any comments appreciated

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
Since the S1 wasn't really available to the US, and the majority of forum members here are from the US, my guess is that you'll get more substantial input from another forum (SELOC, Facebook Lotus Owners and Enthusiasts, etc.). I'm not saying there won't be some input here, but I'd guess it will be limited.

San

·
Registered
865 Posts
As far as I know, Lotus no longer supply new S1 chassis tubs, nor windscreen surrounds, as both these parts haven't been used on a production car since 2000/2001. The S1 windscreen glass / seal is not the same as the S2/S3 BTW, so is that a factor too?

If these parts are used ones, then how will you ensure they're OK condition? Also a used chassis tub will have its own VIN.

Changing chassis tubs over is huge work. Sills, windscreen surround, rear bulkhead, coin trays, front crash structure are all bonded-on. Its unlikely these will be A1 condition after they're removed. Also during the process of chassis swop, there'll be other work to do or missing / damaged parts to find, so that increases cost. Is painting also required for the body panels ?

For used / good condition - from a trusted source, your price estimates look low... if new, you're way off. Lotus was charging £5k for S1 replacement chassis tubs years ago & demanded the VIN be cut out of your old chassis first.

Reasonable condition, good drivers, with service history S1 Elises can still be bought in the UK for +/- £10k. If you wanted something super-smart or A1 condition its more like £15k. Considering how weak the GBP has been Vs the US$ over recent years, this would seem a smarter move, especially as Canada have a more relaxed 15yr rule to import cars.

HTHs

1 - 3 of 3 Posts