The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
So, as someone new to the Elise world, can someone explain the situation with the US S1 cars in a nutshell from the following perspective:

1) can I import one and have the Honda powerplant added in? Is that company still in business?
2) are the cars in the US already registered facing any legality issues??
3) can one buy one of the cars in question #2?
4) how many of these wonders are there?

12.6/110. That's amazing.

Ara

·
shay2nak
24,997 Posts
Lotus was importing the S1 190 for about $55k and it was for track use only. This info comes from Motorweek. I think the maximum yearly mileage allowed is 2500 miles. However, I could remember seeing a black Elise in Burbank once, so I'm sure some people took them out to the streets.

Prototype racing swaps Honda engines for S1 Elise/Exige. I don't know how much they charge.

http://www.prototyperacing.com

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
ara,
Two different series cars we're talking about. Lotus brought in somewhere around 50 or so Sport 190s, these were set up as track only cars with roll cage etc. Had the higher tune Rover engine. These are legal for track use, although some owners have been able as limited use vehicles which are restricted in the mileage they can do.

Then you have the Sun international cars (Honda conversion) we have a guy on here who has one, he can probably address this car. I believe SUN is no longer in business??

We actually have a third group. These are euro cars that wer brought in by individuals (one particular guy sold several on ebay before getting nailed and I think put in prison). One fellow used to be on the list bought one. After lengthy appeals he was given a specific time period to sell the car overseas or face having it crushed.

Prototype Racing does offer a conversion for elise to Honda power, a bit pricey, and lots of controversy surrounds this conversion in UK.

CHris

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Ara said:
So, as someone new to the Elise world, can someone explain the situation with the US S1 cars in a nutshell from the following perspective:

1) can I import one and have the Honda powerplant added in? Is that company still in business?
2) are the cars in the US already registered facing any legality issues??
3) can one buy one of the cars in question #2?
4) how many of these wonders are there?

12.6/110. That's amazing.

Ara
I don't know any more about this company than what is on their web site, but they claim to legally import and certify the S1 & S2 Elise and VX-220 for less than the cost of a new Fed Elise.

http://www.eliseusa.com/

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
ChrisB said:
I don't know any more about this company than what is on their web site, but they claim to legally import and certify the S1 & S2 Elise and VX-220 for less than the cost of a new Fed Elise.

http://www.eliseusa.com/
Is'nt that a link to Transio's site on their page?

ed- They also claim to have an Exige fastback kit with front splitter. Never heard of this company-seems a bit fishy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts