The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for some more info comparing S1 and S2 Evoras... I know there is the sticky buying guide here, but it appears to be just the S1s.

So what differences are between the S1 and S2? aside from the power and bumpers - interior? suspension? options? any comparison pictures?

or if there are already threads on this, please direct me because I've had no luck finding them...

thanks

·
Registered
2011 Evora NA 6sp
694 Posts
There were many changes associated with the chassis and cooling systems.

I believe all 3 frame sections are new. I know the center and rear are.

Interior is all new design
The seats went from recaro to sparco

Transmission has an lsd
New shifter mechanism
Supercharger is bigger with a cooler and made by a different manufacturer

·
Registered
634 Posts
I've owned a '12 Evora S and currently a '17 Evora 400. Key differences that I've noticed are:

1) S2 shifter is significantly better than the S1.
2) S2 interior is more "modern" feeling, especially dash/gauges. However the S1 had a nice flow to it that seems to be missing from the S2. More plastic in the S2 than the S1, I'm guessing for cost-cutting purposes.
3) S2 seats are not as comfortable as the S1s, and feels like you sit higher though this may not be true. Ingress/egress is easier on the S2s due to the lower sills, however you lose the "cocoon" feeling of the S1, which I liked/preferred.
4) S2 suspension feels stiffer. Not as comfortable when cruising on the highway vs the S1.
5) S2 exhaust is killer with the 3rd cat delete vs the S1 which is pretty tame in comparison.
6) S2 s/c is chargecooled, whereas the S1 s/c is not.
7) S2 calipers/rotors are bigger. better factory rubber (PSS vs P Zero Corsa)

·
Registered
7,324 Posts
I've owned a '12 Evora S and currently a '17 Evora 400. Key differences that I've noticed are:

1) S2 shifter is significantly better than the S1.
2) S2 interior is more "modern" feeling, especially dash/gauges. However the S1 had a nice flow to it that seems to be missing from the S2. More plastic in the S2 than the S1, I'm guessing for cost-cutting purposes.
3) S2 seats are not as comfortable as the S1s, and feels like you sit higher though this may not be true. Ingress/egress is easier on the S2s due to the lower sills, however you lose the "cocoon" feeling of the S1, which I liked/preferred.
4) S2 suspension feels stiffer. Not as comfortable when cruising on the highway vs the S1.
5) S2 exhaust is killer with the 3rd cat delete vs the S1 which is pretty tame in comparison.
6) S2 s/c is chargecooled, whereas the S1 s/c is not.
7) S2 calipers/rotors are bigger. better factory rubber (PSS vs P Zero Corsa)
Very good points!

The S2 has some performance advantages. Speed, acceleration, braking, factory sound. Not that the S1 was lacking in any areas, but the S2 has some improvements.

But that’s it. As you say, the S2 interior is square and cheaper. The front end looks like something they dreamed up before lunch some day just to be doing something different. The mesh on back of the car different from the front.

I liked the higher sills. Felt more like a sports car. So much easier to get in and out than an Elige. And honestly, our Mac with the”Billionaire” doors is more of a challenge. An unathletic person is quickly discovered.

I loved the arm rest’s construction. Similar to the engine cover hinges, beautiful extruded aluminium. S2 has no arm rest.

S1 had brilliant supple suspension. The first time I drove one we crossed a train track and I was in love. Magical, witchery. How did they do that? And the car still sooo capable when asked to attack a high speed sweeper. Seems the S2 moved towards the “firmer is better” that normal cars follow.

Very few S2 came without the black pack, black roof. Personal preference, but I like the body color on top.

I remain hopeful that the next generation will move back towards the Lotus ideas, and be a complete car more like the S1. Power is great and and all that, we love the suspense of the McLaren. But it’s the handling and the looks and the comfort that can be used every day, and legally for real life use.

·
Premium Member
7,178 Posts
X... you pretty much just terminated any remaining thoughts I had about any S2 variants. Haven't had one pass me on track yet.....
Things i refuse to lose.
1. Armrest for long trips....MANDATORY
2. S1 suspension is magnificent!
3. Dash design and seats are vastly superior IMHO.

Reactions: DBG

·
Registered
631 Posts
X... you pretty much just terminated any remaining thoughts I had about any S2 variants. Haven't had one pass me on track yet.....
Things i refuse to lose.
1. Armrest for long trips....MANDATORY
I remember being horrified by the removal of the armrest. After one drive in the 400 I never noticed it’s absence again. Long drives or short drives. I don’t mean to be confrontational at all—I’ve owned and loved all variants of the Evora—but it seems to be people who don’t drive 400s who think that the S1 is a better car. It isn’t. There are some things you may prefer in the older variants (certainly I do as well). But there is no question which variant to buy assuming money isn’t the issue.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Yeah I agree with ByJove. I loved my S1, but the S2 is overall a better car (think 4.5 stars vs 4.75 stars).

Not sure it's worth the frictional cost/headache to go from an S1 to an S2, but if you're coming from no Evora, I'd get the S2.

·
Premium Member
7,178 Posts
Just remember the 2017 seats lose their sh!! real quick. I have lots of seat time in both variants. My ideal suspension would be S1 with ability to stiffen the shocks for track duty a la track pack. I'd wear less holes through the front wheel well liners that way. Its all about the one that rocks your world as they are all AMAZING cars. Basically a Sport 410.

·
Registered
7,324 Posts
Interior. S1, S2, and the direction I’ve thought they might ought to go. Mostly subjective.

·
Registered
255 Posts
S1 interior, my preference, cf binnacles, mix of leather and alcantara, highlighted stitching and new seat cover design, plus the all important stereo upgrade and self dipping mirror.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Oh yeah, the audio system on the S2 is so epically/comically awful, words don't even begin to describe. I'm not an audiophile, and never have really cared about car audio other than i want it to sound halfway decent at mid-high volumes every once in a while without sounding like garbage.

Somehow Lotus went from achieving that low bar in the S1 to having the single worst audio setup I've ever experienced in any car of my entire life in the S2. It's seriously that bad. It sounds like garbage regardless of what volume you're at.

·
Registered
7,324 Posts
In their defense, the audio system is easy to upgrade. It is sorta comical how the head unit looks aftermarket from new, but that way their are many options that will look about the same. With infotainment changing so quickly now, that’s a good thing. Needed Carplay, new head unit. Now needed wireless CarPlay ? New head unit.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Last thing that would stop me buying an Evora is the head unit/infotainment!! Who cares.. anyway even a new unit is obsolete the year after.. I think the Veyron doesn’t even have one because of that reason!

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There were many changes associated with the chassis and cooling systems.
John, do you have more info about the cooling system changes? Were they improvements fixing issues in S1 cars? or was it just modification to accommodate the new performance/layouts?

I do like the interior of the S1 (provided it's nicely colored...) but I like the performance of the S2 cars. I've been reading BOE's upgrades to get S2 style performance from S1 cars so I'll be reviewing the forum for people's experiences with that route.

...and I'll go ahead and mention that for myself, I'm currently planning to look for Auto cars... I have my Exige to do all the fun clutch and gear changing stuff (and more track days and spirited driving!) and the Evora would be road-trip, relaxed cruising, and date night car for me... and if i want to ride through downtown, I won't mind stop lights and traffic...

·
Registered
255 Posts
It comes down to personal preference and budget. Out of the box the S2 is going to be quicker when you go to the track. On the road? Merrrrr.
S2 will hold value longer.
Dials are clearer on the S2.

I prefer the external looks of the S1, prefer the interior but have modded it. I would mod the interior of the S2 as well, but thats my preference.
I have also modded the engine and suspension, but that comes at a cost that isn't recoverable.

Drive both and see where you get the most joy for your dollar.

·
Illegal Alien
5,285 Posts
Things i refuse to lose.
1. Armrest for long trips....MANDATORY.
1. S1 arm rest has been retrofitted by some members; but honestly, I missed it at first but don't even notice it missing now.
2. S2 suspension bushings are the same as S1 S model, rear spring and F/R bars are different, but I believe spring rate differs due to heavier S/C weight; S2 Sport 410, GT shocks are different (stiffer), but seem to be very well dialed in for track and still suited for touring use.
3. Agree that awsthetically and comfort wise the interior and seats are better in S1. Now ergonomically, the switch layout, visually and tactical feel of them is much better in the S2, along with a real headlight switch, real DRL's that don't keep panel lights in night mode during the day, AC control knobs that can be used with gloves and leather that doesn't shrink ... ok, ok most of it was covered to plastic and cheap carpet. The S1 felt luxurious and unique, the S2 feels like a typical plastic box.
4> Like the addition of SC intercooler, Transmission Cooler, car seems to have a improved cooling pack overall, including the AC's operation... a Texas weather car.

Reactions: lt1_fd3s
1 - 20 of 27 Posts