The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings all,

Here is the procedure of my tow eye install with pics (please excuse the crudity of the pics, but my :wallbang: Treo is all I had on hand)...

Ok, Sector 111 says to just use the stock M8 mounting bolts, but I didn't buy it given the depth of the indentations on the diffuser where the stock M8 bolts and "fender washers" sit. So, I used some spacers, and longer M8 bolts to account for the thickness of the spacers, tow eye, and lock washers. I also used some industrial / heavy duty / indoor / outdoor velcro near the trailing edge of the eye to keep it from slapping against the diffuser.

First off, the thread length on the stock M8 bolts is 25mm, the tow eye is 3.3mm at the bolt holes, the spacer I choose to use is 3.1mm and the lock washer is 1.9mm, so if you were to emulate what I have done you would need to source an M8 hex head bolt of at least 33.3mm (I used a 35mm without issue). I sourced the spacers from our local specialty hardware store and I forget the measurement (I don't do SAE / standard), but they worked like a charm.

Ok, here are some pics...

1) Here are the parts amassed: stock washer, spacer, lock washer, longer bolt, tow eye.

2) The order of the hardware, from bottom up: bolt, lock washer, tow eye, spacer, stock washer (which has extra thickness at the inner diameter).

3) Bolted up.

4) Velcro applied at trailing edge of eye that touches the diffuser.

5) Trimmed Velcro (note I left the hook section, that adheres to the diffuser untrimmed).

More...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
6) View from the bottom once everything is bolted (and velcroed) up.

7) View from the back.

All in all a decent piece. I wish it was lighter, but what the hell. I also wish the eye part stuck out a bit more (for flash as well as ease of use purposes).

Happy tow eyeing,
Frank--

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,195 Posts
Frank - Love your lic plate. Must ask, tho, what is the actual purpose of this tow hook? Does it solve a problem I've not perceived? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
glb said:
Frank - Love your lic plate. Must ask, tho, what is the actual purpose of this tow hook? Does it solve a problem I've not perceived? Thanks.
Yes, pulling the car from the back, should one need that.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I finally got around to doing the installation> I think it's ok to use the standard hardware, per Sector 111's instructions, after all. I did use Frank's velcro trick, though.
This is a great thread, and very helpful for the install tips alone.

Choco: Why do you feel the stock hardware can be used as opposed to the recommendations above? Do you have pics of your install showing that the stock hardware mounted into the indentation does not cause issue? Because I would also think there could be damage to the diffuser over time with the S111 install using the stock hardware. (That's why I'm searching these old threads, because I felt the same thing when I placed my recently arrived boomerang up to the mounting points).

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Tow Hook Hardware

Why do you feel the stock hardware can be used as opposed to the recommendations above? Do you have pics of your install showing that the stock hardware mounted into the indentation does not cause issue? Because I would also think there could be damage to the diffuser over time with the S111 install using the stock hardware.
While I used the stock hardware, I also used ADDITIONAL hardware on the install.

The issue for me was that the tow hook would dent or bend the diffuser unless you put spacer washers in place to bring the tow hook down to the same plane as the diffuser panel. I added 2 washers per side between the diffuser panel and the tow hook itself to get the proper spacing and plane alignment. I used the big stock flat washer under the tow hook to provide greater surface area to hold the hook so it wouldn't flex up and down.

And of course, the velcro idea was a great one. I used multiple velcro patches to secure mine in place.

Hope the pics explain it a little better.

Regards,
Wayne

Attachments

·
Registered
751 Posts
That's what I'll do then. Seems to make more sense to space it out. Wish the S111 kit came with the spacers. Ah well...

Recommendation on size of spacer or do you have like a Lowe's part number or something? And did you go to 35mm bolts as mentioned above?

Thx!

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Recommendation on size of spacer or do you have like a Lowe's part number or something? And did you go to 35mm bolts as mentioned above?

Thx!
I did get the longer bolts. I picked them up at Home Depot. I got Stainless Steel ones, with matching washers. Not lock or fender washers, just normal flat ones.

A little tricky tricky holding the hardware "sandwich" in place when installing, but not too bad.

Good luck.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
386 Posts
BTW - velcro doesn't hold up if you track the car. The heat from the exhaust seems to melt the glue and the portion that was attached to the diffuser seems to come undone.
I've seen a few people put this under the diffuser with a hole w/ the tow eye sticks out... but I'd rather not cut the diffuser.

Any other alternatives?

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
BTW - velcro doesn't hold up if you track the car. The heat from the exhaust seems to melt the glue and the portion that was attached to the diffuser seems to come undone.
I've seen a few people put this under the diffuser with a hole w/ the tow eye sticks out... but I'd rather not cut the diffuser.

Any other alternatives?
I'm planning on just attaching something to the hook itself to insulate it from rattling against the diffuser. Probably just the fuzzy side of a velcro piece. The velcro doesn't need to hold it at all from what I understand.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.