The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Supporting Vendors
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fastest ratio rack for your Lotus! Our newest and fastest ratio steering rack was designed for track/race focused cars. We worked directly with Titan and have tested it on our Elise in Lotus Cup racing since 2011. It works well without feeling twitchy or nervous. It is also far more durable than stock. Sector 111 exclusive!

2.2 Turns lock To lock vs 2.75 for stock
-12% faster than our titanQR
-Quicker turn in
-More responsive - yet not too fast or twitchy
-Better track performance
-Lighter than stock

raceRACK is the fastest steering rack for your Lotus

Now in stock, ready to ship. As always, feel free to contact us with any questions! :shift:

·
Registered
913 Posts
Saw this the other day listed & looks great!

Curious, when lowering the vehicle to 120mm or less & replacing the steering rack - how many of you are using the bump steer shims to raise the rack back to OEM geometry & by how much are you raising it?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
nice rack :p

·
Supporting Vendors
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Saw this the other day listed & looks great!

Curious, when lowering the vehicle to 120mm or less & replacing the steering rack - how many of you are using the bump steer shims to raise the rack back to OEM geometry & by how much are you raising it?
The steering rack itself cannot be shimmed up or down, as there is no room in the extruded tunnel to move it. Secondly, in lowering the car, the track rods are angled up when viewed up from the front of the car. The ball joints at the end of the track rods attach to the steering arms from the top. Therefore, if you were to shim the interface between the ball joint and the steering arm, you would be shimming it the wrong way.

We run the Art Car at 100mm front ride height with the steering rack in the stock location and do not have any bump steer issues. This dosen't translate well to a stock car though, as we have our race uprights and V2arms installed.

Hope that answers your question!

·
Registered
913 Posts
The steering rack itself cannot be shimmed up or down, as there is no room in the extruded tunnel to move it. Secondly, in lowering the car, the track rods are angled up when viewed up from the front of the car. The ball joints at the end of the track rods attach to the steering arms from the top. Therefore, if you were to shim the interface between the ball joint and the steering arm, you would be shimming it the wrong way.

We run the Art Car at 100mm front ride height with the steering rack in the stock location and do not have any bump steer issues. This dosen't translate well to a stock car though, as we have our race uprights and V2arms installed.

Hope that answers your question!
Thanks Shinoo for the response - been looking for first hand feedback on this; yes this answers my question.

Im assuming the dimensions of this rack and the Titan 2.5 are the same, which is larger than OEM?

If someone is wondering, these are the plates I was referencing to:

·
Registered
443 Posts
What prompted you to go from your 2.5 to this 2.2 rack? Was something missing from a performance standpoint? What if anything was upgraded other than the quicker ratio?

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
I've always wondered about making shorter steering arms to change the ratio.

dave

·
Registered
342 Posts
Has anyone tried this yet? Any feedback?

One of the reasons I'm interested in this rack may sound a bit strange, but I'm tall and my knees interfere with my hands at the track and it would be nice to have a bit less lock on wheel for a given turn. I don't know if this would change the angle enough to make a difference though.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,248 Posts
Has anyone tried this yet? Any feedback?

One of the reasons I'm interested in this rack may sound a bit strange, but I'm tall and my knees interfere with my hands at the track and it would be nice to have a bit less lock on wheel for a given turn. I don't know if this would change the angle enough to make a difference though.
Eric,
It does not change the angle of the wheel, but your hands will not rotate as much.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,248 Posts
What prompted you to go from your 2.5 to this 2.2 rack? Was something missing from a performance standpoint? What if anything was upgraded other than the quicker ratio?
An even quicker rack was requested by some Lotus Cup racers and other track clients. Compared to the Atoms we sell, the Lotus feels very slow.

Nothing has been upgraded on the 2.2 vs 2.5. Both are built to the same standards. The 2.2 needed some new parts that required new tooling, etc. But the materials and construction are the same - which means very durable! :)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Eric,
It does not change the angle of the wheel, but your hands will not rotate as much.
Yup got that, I was just wondering if anyone had feedback on whether it noticeably reduces the angle of the steering wheel. It might feel faster, and do what it was meant to do, but not actually change the average angle that much.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Is there a point at which such a quick ratio becomes a performance hinderance? What about on the street? Is 2.2 too much, and can you get away with 2.5 without much change>

·
Supporting Vendors
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is there a point at which such a quick ratio becomes a performance hinderance? What about on the street? Is 2.2 too much, and can you get away with 2.5 without much change>
Good question. To give you a comparison, the Atom has a 1.7 ratio steering rack and feels just fine. I know these are two completely different cars but driving the Art Car with the 2.2 ratio steering rack feels great. Very responsive without feeling twitchy or "nervous". Hope that helps!

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
I've always wondered about making shorter steering arms to change the ratio.

dave
Woould screw up your Ackerman and bump-steer, I'd think.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
I do miss the faster-steering Europa sometimes.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Does this change the turning radius of the car or just the speed at which a given input turns the wheel? If so, what is the measured turning radius compared to stock?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts