Some background on this project. I picked up my first S1A in 2014 (Green car pictured in last shot chassis 0392). It had the frame (destroyed) removed through the floor, but the PO did a horrible job and removed far too much of the inner wheel support and this caused the nose to collapse. The good parts of this car were that it had every component and many of them were in great shape. I plan to eventually separate this car from its floor and rebuild it using templates from my 2nd car. I want to convert 0392 in to a 47 replica eventually because of the poor condition of its frame and body.
I picked up the second S1A (chassis 0468) earlier this year. The body is mostly straight, but It has extensive rear end damage so I am using the rear end of 0392 as a mold to create a new panel. It was also missing the boot and bonnet, so I am preparing the panels of 0392 as plugs to make molds from. I am planning to do carbon panels for both cars from these. 0468 has a frame which is mostly in tact. Unfortunately it was missing many pieces, but luckily I have all those pieces as long as I am just running one of these cars.
If anyone has any questions, comments, or advice on these types of endeavors please chime in!
Almost a month of sanding between this and the TCS. Finally got the second round of primer down on it. Question for those wise ones out there that have restored an S1 before - My frame was removed from the bottom. I still need to repair or fabricate a new frame. Would it be insane to try and bond a frame in to a car that has already been painted? There is the risk of cracks and damage, but I would prefer not to interrupt my workflow to make a frame right now. If things keep going as they are I estimate I am one more coat of hi build away from sealing and then color...
My green S1A had damage in the rear. My red S1A had even more damage in the rear. Being that there aren't that many of these floating around I resolved to repair the one with less damage, and mold it so I could repair my current restoration.
I also had a missing piece of the front storage area just above where the pedals go. I decided to mold this too.
After many frustrating rotations of sanding, filling, sanding, filling, and more sanding, and more filling, I finally reached a point where I felt good with the shape of it.
3 gallons of Iso tooling resin later and I have an S1 rear tail panel mold!!! Finally the wrongs can be righted!
The outside of my mold looks like it has leprosy because I was mixing this stuff in June in TX... 95 degrees and poly resin dont play so well together. It would get hard before I could roll it out all the way. bubbles grew on bubbles. I did this in the shade but it only barely made it possible...Still a win is a win in my book!!