The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought as a totally stock car, 23k miles, last June. Have been keeping a thread on SELOC up to date so I've copied the following post off of it.

Picked this up from WillB a couple of weeks back and brought her home to Ireland.

Heaters didn't work so fitted a new module - what a pig of a job! And fitted a splitter which I think really finishes the front off. I'm told the colour is pretty rare for an Elise, had my heart set on red but when I saw this I changed my mind!

Few wee niggles to sort out and tidy up but really am very happy with the car, I've owned a fair few different performance cars but the Elise is something else. Hoping to do a few track days before winter, just need to get a full service carried out first.

Few quick pics, the weather has been superb here since I came home so I've managed to enjoy a good 500 miles so far.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I've literally done nothing at all with the car bar a timing belt, water pump and oil change. There's loads I want to do to it but figured I'd enjoy it as a standard car for a few months then start making the changes.

Popped out for a "pint of milk". Ended up doing a circuit of the Mourne Mountains.

Fofannyreagh, with Slieveloughshannagh in the background above the car

Spelga Dam in the background. Cock Mountain to the left

Head Road; Slievenagore behind.

Head Road again; Binnian behind.

Locations and mountain names are approximate, so I stand to be corrected by a local!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Completed my first track day in the car last September, it poured with rain most of the day but I thoroughly enjoyed it and the RE050's did a sterling job. The EBC Greenstuffs however did not, so I purchased some Carbon Lorraine CL5's for the front.

Following that, I arranged to store the car in one of my future father in laws outbuildings during the winter and to allow me to fit a few upgrades and generally tidy the car up to my standard.

Began choosing and ordering parts, first to arrive was a Sparco steering wheel. I detest the standard item, its much too skinny.

The indicator stalks remind me of my first car, a 40 something hp Corsa, so I picked up a set of the usual alternatives. They came in polished aluminium so I had the stalk anodised satin black and left the tips polished. Don't like the polished tips now I've been looking at them for a while so will be going back with the tips to get them done.

Made a start on the interior, only way to clean it properly was to take it all out. Have a rattly drivers window to sort and a harness bar to fit (to allow attachment of a camera).

Going for a black and grey theme so rear diffuser came off to prepare it for satin black paint.

Progress has been slow due to my other half being home from London for a few months so haven't got the diffuser painted just yet but its sitting in primer ready for flatting and paint.

AD08's arrived.

Picked up a set of Nitron NTR Fast Road's and a few other bits.

And Nitrons fitted.

Sitting far too low, my estimate of platform position was slightly off!

Also have a new nose badge, driving light-less front grille, upgraded headlight bulbs, Motul RBF brake fluid and probably a few other bits and pieces I've forgotten about sitting waiting to go on.

This weekend I hope to fit the harness bar and start cleaning the interior up ready to get it back together. Should be ordering a set of Compomotives in the next week or two also.

Cannot wait to get it back on the road now, have set a deadline of the middle of March to allow me to get the ride height and geometry set up in time for a track day on the 25th March.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well as usual, nothing goes to plan! The harness bar I was sold turned out to be a Lotus Motorsport item that does not fit with the back panel in place.

A plan was formulated and so we began crafting a cross bar between the two seatbelt mounting points to fit the camera mount to.

Cardboard templates of brackets made up with the desired shape.

Old broom handle cut to length for cross bar.

Rough triangles cut out of mild steel, seatbelt bolt hole drilled through each and then bolted together.

Then trimmed in to shape.

Test fit to allow us to mark up a point at the bottom of the bracket that will tie in to the roll over hoop for stability.

Roll over hoop drilled and tapped.

Both brackets in place to allow the cross bar to be trimmed to length.

Tacked in to place.

Not bad for half a days work

A little bit more progress made elsewhere but I fitted them just before we left and didn't take a photo. When the interior goes back together I'll take a pic, just something small but they've bugged me since I bought the car.

Next weekend will hopefully see the cross bar, diffuser and splitter in paint and possibly the interior in if time is with me.

Incidentally if anyone would like the harness bar I have here drop me a PM.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Few updates from the last few weeks...

More prepping for paint done today. Was never 100% on the depth of the front splitter, so we marked it up with fine line tape to take about 6mm off the edge of it.

Trimmed off with an angle grinder.

Tidied up the cracks I'd created from clipping it.

I had to leave early for my nieces birthday so Terry (vette_kid) finished it off by strengthening the back with a skim of isopon.

DA'd along with the centre console.

In to primer.

On the centre console where the gear lever goes through had a little piece cracked off and missing, so Terry built it up with 2 pack plastic bonder adhesive and cleaned it up. Hard to see it in the pics but its a brilliant job and now much stronger than it was before.

Ordered a low entry jack for convenience.

Thin walled impact sockets with polymer sleeve to protect my new wheels when fitting wheel bolts.

And my camera mount.

Tomorrow will the splitter and centre console along with the rear diffuser and camera mount in to paint. Then time for a good clean, calipers off and painted, wheels fitted, paint corrected and she'll be nearly ready to rock.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spent the morning with Terry DA'ing and wet sanding everything ready for paint. Etch primer going on the diffuser:

Colour going on..

We're just base coating these parts to leave a satin finish so they go off very quickly, letting me build up the interior and get the camera mount in to the car this afternoon. Very happy with how it turned out, doesn't look at all out of place imo :)

Carpets cleaned and in...

And got my new floor mat fixings bonded in to place.

Next session will see brake calipers painted, new brake fluid and front pads fitted, arches cleaned and then given a thorough clean ready for paint correction.

Have to say a massive, massive thank you to Terry (KRCR Donaghadee) for his time and expertise today, he's an awesome painter and knows how to do pretty much anything else I ask him! Some say, he's Jesus.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Forgot to fit my steering rack raiser plates...

After the bother svensktoppen had installing his I really wasn't looking forward to this one! They are located on the back of the bulkhead, at the top of the driver and passenger foot wells, which is a very tight space! On each plate there are two rivets to drill out and two bolts to undo, then undo the lower UJ on the steering column and the rack falls out of place.

I spent approximately 2 hours yesterday morning, wriggling around head first, in my footwell. Not a job I'd do again in a hurry!

Rivets and bolts out, passenger side. Bloody wiring loom was right in the way, made this side much more awkward.

With no one else around to assist, it was up to me and some cable ties to lever the steering rack into its new, higher position.

Shifting the bolt holes up about 8mm, they're sitting a smidge low in this pic, must have adjusted slightly after this was taken.

New plate in place.

Riveted and bolted in to place.

Also fitted my new wiper/indicator stalks. This required removing the originals by means of... a hacksaw. Was a little daunting!

Chopped and trimmed.

Fitted.

Also got the seats back in, forgot what the car felt like to drive with a seat in it! The passenger seat is fixed, and just about clears the back of it 8)

Finally, she got a proper bath, all nooks and crannies cleaned as well and the arches, then clayed, ready for a good buff in the next week or two. Raised the front coilovers up a bit too while I was in there.

Next week will see me finally doing the calipers, pads and fluid, as well as fitting my new wheels which are due this week. Well they were due last week but, ce la vie.

Then its just a matter of refitting the splitter and riveting the rear diffuser back together.

Nearly there!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wheels have just arrived! Excuse the dust all over them.

Got the diffuser riveted back together.

Also got the interior all back together, all the carpets back in (ahhh, S2 luxury) and the steering wheel fitted

Finally got the tyres on and wheels fitted too, these sh*t pictures really don't do them justice, I'm absolutely chuffed with how they look.

Splitter and diffuser fitted then she'll be insured and taxed for next weekend. Can. Not. Wait.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, finally got the splitter and diffuser back on on Friday night along with the new front pads fitted and new nose badge. Green stuff - where they belong:

Wheeled her out on Saturday morning and home for a quick clean and a run out to see if anything fell off. Luckily nothing did and we made it home safely. Suspension is quite a bit stiffer than stock but very nicely damped, it feels unbelievably sure footed on a smooth road with the wider front tyres on it too. The difference is phenomenal. Also, front pads are like night and day. Few more loose ends to finish off but shes nearly there

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got a friend to take some decent photos of the car now its sitting pretty much the way I want it, and I no longer own a DSLR.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Wow, doesn't take long to forget how much time you put in to these things! And to most others it just look like I've changed the wheels!

Spec:

Nitron 1 Way Fast Road Coilovers
Compomotive 16x7J and 17x8J
Yokohama AD08 205/45 and 225/45
Carbon Lorraine RC5 pads
B&C Stainless exhaust
EP decat
Sparco wheel
EP Splitter

Thanks for looking!

·
Super Moderator
5,453 Posts
Awesome stuff!!

And what a great looking car (says he with an S2 111S in Gunmetal in garage ;))!

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Just incredible work, and love how it came out. :)

Where did you pick up your turn signal stocks from?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts