The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i can get the s2k now and elise in who knows.

im thinking the practicality maybe the issue with me...

any s2k drivers?

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I was obsessed with the S2k when it came out. I liked the looks even though they are somewhat bland, I loved the engine, I liked the price. I was about to buy one when I happened come across a used M Roadster at the same price. But I bought the M because it was nearly the same car with some better city manners (more torque) and much better looks but without the handling being as good. But now comes the time I'm done with the M and I am back to the same type of question: S2k or Elise. This time there is no competition. The Elise is more expensive but it wins in every single catagory other than that. It's not even close. Don't get me wrong, the S2k is a great car but it's just out classed. The S2k is more of a GT car, not a "sports" car. Driving across the US, the S2k wins. Driving across town the Elise wins. Curvey roads the Elise wins but not by too much.

To put it simply: S2K 9.75, Elise 9.99

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'm in a very similar situation as you are...but i'v seen some dvd's of a japanese amuse s2k and a special s2k from c west coming in at 2100lb w/ 290HP and its just unbelievable what that car does.

but elise is amazing! i was hoping for the elise to come to usa back in 2000...they promised the elise in 98 but that never happend.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,103 Posts
RacingDynamcs said:
im thinking the practicality maybe the issue with me...
Come on bro, stay the course! Get the Elise.

The S2k is the practical choice and the Elise is the passionate one.

How do you want to live your life?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its a hard decision... i love both of the cars very much..

i need to go see the elise again but the dealer near me shipped it off to england.
or he says so...

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
i daily drive an S2000 and it is a phenomenal car. I come from a family that has had everything from ferrari's to lambos to porsches, etc and the S2000 really is as fun to drive as almost anything else. It is truly a phenomenal car. I love the Elise because to me it just improves on what i already love about the S2000. That being said, Lotus is going to really have to nail the Fed car to make me take delivery.

·
Registered
327 Posts
There seems to be a lot of people in this same boat. No question the Elise is the more interesting car. It looks better, it's mid-engined, handles better at 10/10ths, and it's made by Lotus, not Honda. It's totally got the cache. I'm on the waiting list....so I like the car a lot. No doubt about it. The question is: Will I be happy with it for weekend drives and will it turn out to be too much of a pain in the butt?

I have recently been through another vehicle decision that I think represents the situation pretty well. I sold my '98 Honda CBR 900 RR "Fireblade" sportbike when I had the chance to buy one of the last '02 Ducati 998S "Bayliss" bikes around. How could I not? It's a Ducati!! C'mon, right? Well, I'm glad I don't ride every weekend....because the Honda CBR was far and away the more useable and sensible bike...even among sportbikes

The Ducati is way sexier, sounds better, will outhandle the Honda at 10/10ths, and is a lot more money. But the Ducati is far more maintenance intensive, it tends to run hot, it roasts your ass, and it's more difficult to ride -- more uncomfortable. The Honda temp guage was straight vertical no matter whether in trafffic or running hot laps (something I rarely did). The Ducati would be faster around a track BUT -- the Honda was already more bike than I could ever need or hope to master. The S2000, like it's Honda motorcycle counterpart, would be more car than I could ever really use on a road. It'll be more reliable, less of a headache, more comfortable, and it'll be more useful (even for what it is -- an impractical sports car). My Honda bike had room under the pillion seat for a hat or cell phone. The Ducati doesn't even have a pillion seat -- so I can only ride solo and anything I need to take with me must fit in my pocket. It's like the Lotus in that regard...the least practical of the impractical.

If I had it to do all over again -- I'd still get the Ducati. But if my intent was to use my bike often -- I'd be better off with the Honda and the extra money in my pocket. The added benefit of my Ducati, is that it can spend the winter in my "rec room" where I can admire it as a piece of art. I enjoy it even when it's parked. Most wouldn't be able to do that with the Lotus.

So -- what does all of this mean? I think it means that if you really want to use your impractical sports car on a regular basis at all -- and if the majority of your driving is done on public roads -- my experience leads me to believe that you'd be better off with the S2000. If you can't get over the Lotus name and the sexy looks of the Elise, and if you're the kind of guy who'll be unhappy whenever you are in your S2000 and go past an Elise, then you have only one choice -- get the Elise.

As for me, I am actually hoping that the reviews of the Federal Elise will have sufficient negative aspects so that I'll be convinced to either keep my E30 M3 or buy an S2000. For starters, I think prevalent rattles will end up driving me nuts. Second, I have my doubts about the 133 lb-ft of torque. Third, I think the "Lotus" name may end up not being as revered once the Elise gets bought up by the same punky kids who drive STis and S2000s (both great cars). If anything, it's my own snobbish stupidity that keeps me from just buying the S2000 tomorrow. I just don't want to be part of that Honda crowd. If BMW sold the S2000 and put an M badge on it -- I'd probably already own one. I guess that's dumb, but what fun would car events be with a Honda S2000? No British Car Club events, not exotic car gathering ... just HondaFest or whatever they do -- the S2000 lined up with Civics and CRXs and Preludes -- all with bling-bling rims and coffee can exhausts. Not my scene, dudes!

Rock On!

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
I am ditching my S2000 for an Elise.

I say get a beater to hold you over until your Elise arrives. You'll be sorry if you don't.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I don't understand why all of the small, "lightweight", nimble cars are open-top cars.

For traditional steel construction cars, a fixed-roof car is usually lighter and more rigid than the open-top counterpart.

The Elise is not a traditional steel construction car, so the above doesn't really apply to it. Obviously the Elise is lightweight and rigid.

If Toyota came out with an MR2 coupe or Mazda came out with a Miata coupe, I would find it difficult to say "no".

·
Registered
67 Posts
I currently have a 2002 S2000 and I love the car. I would be happier if it had more power and the dash had analog gauges, but otherwise, I love it. I have been using it as a daily driver for almost two years now. But once I learned that the Elise was officially coming to the US, I knew that love affair would have to end. I have a second car now so I can cope with the Elise's further lack of practicality. The S2K is a great car, but the Elise is something far more special.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,103 Posts
Hans Stuck said:
... I have my doubts about the 133 lb-ft of torque...
We are used to driving much heavier cars so naturally 133 lb-ft seems low. The Elise utterly shifts that paradigm.

Have no doubt about it! :)

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
IMHO, the Elise is a second car. It's totally not practical (for me)for everyday driving and I love it to death.

I have an S2000 and a Exige. The S2000 is the weekend car and the Exige is the track car. I use my Integra as my daily car and it takes all the abuse and the S2000 stays clean and worry free.

The Elise isn't practical if you ever move anything or if you have a female friend that wears skirts (try wearing one of those and getting in/out of the car gracefully).

I'd also imagine driving in snow with the car could be quite an experience as well.

The people buying this for a daily should be using a motorcycle now for a daily.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
meat said:
IMHO, the Elise is a second car. It's totally not practical (for me)for everyday driving and I love it to death.

I have an S2000 and a Exige. The S2000 is the weekend car and the Exige is the track car. I use my Integra as my daily car and it takes all the abuse and the S2000 stays clean and worry free.

The Elise isn't practical if you ever move anything or if you have a female friend that wears skirts (try wearing one of those and getting in/out of the car gracefully).

I'd also imagine driving in snow with the car could be quite an experience as well.

The people buying this for a daily should be using a motorcycle now for a daily.
This is the most practical Elise EVER! Quieter, more powerful, more refined, greatly improved build quality. So I'm not so sure about the “ it can't be used as a daily driver argument”. People in Europe use them as daily drivers quite frequently, so are you guys... Wimps?

I don't plan to use the car as a daily driver either, but this is because I have a Jeep Wrangler that I shall keep. If I did not I would have no reservations about using the Elise in this application.

The Jeep Wrangler makes the Elise ride feel like a Cadillac. Nothing I have driven to date drives rougher than the Jeep. Plus it has no trunk as my Sub-woofer occupies the tiny space.
As for performance; it handles like a Bowling ball, attached to a broomstick, attached to a skateboard.

Off road it is king.

It is far from practical, but that doesn't bother me. I’m still young. I will enjoy these types of cars while I can. On day I may have no choice but to go for comfort and practicality, but this is not that day.
:)

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Derek

Yes, I'm a wimp and I don't like cars as you can see by my sig. below.

I prefer to be able to have the option of transporting myself and a passenger as well as something more than a duffle bag in the boot. My Integra is great for utility. I fold the rear seats down and I can get an amazing amount of stuff in it. With the Elise you have no option other than calling a friend for help.

It's not about being a wimp, it's about being able to do things you can't do with an Elise. It's about the convienence. Yes, I'm American and I like things to be easy......:cool:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've had my S2000 for four years now and am incredibly satisfied with it. I'm planning on keeping it even after I get the Elise.

If it only comes down to "one or the other" consider the ~$10,000 cost difference as well, or even better get a GREAT deal on a used S2000 and save 1/2 the amount.

I personally wouldn't toss the S2000 in the "GT" catergory - its not as plush as you might be lead to beleive. Nice thing is they are everywhere, so you can definitely test drive one and see what you think. If it seems to "soft" for you, then certainly the Elise is the way to go.

Also:
Driving the S2000 in the snow - are you people smoking something???!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
The daily driver aspect is a great point - in NJ the S2000 or Elise simply can't be a year-round daily driver. (I live in NJ too)

Based on the responses by others in this forum it seems like everyone else has got other options in the stable ... me too :)
- '90 Civic daily beater commuter (40+ mpg)
- '00 S2000 for the sunny days
- '03 4x4 Tundra - Winter commuter (for weather like TODAY where everyone was flying off the road in the Philly area)
- '01 Passat Wagon 4Motion - the wife's ride and the family hauler for winter road trips

Don't get a rear-wheel drive sports car as your only car when you have to drive through ice, snow, sleet, etc.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts