The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, Im John. Been trolling around the site for a few weeks now. Looking to upgrade from an s2000 to an elise or a C6 vette. Had a couple questions for everyone

Whats the difference between the exige and elise?

What is the warrenty and is there an extended available?

Is there anything to look for or keep an eye out on when looking at used ones?

What changes were made in each year?

What years are what generations?

Is there any differences powertrain wise at all with the celica GTS?

Is normal matience cheap with this car? I dont see how it would be different then working on a GT-S besides brakes and suspension.

What is the touring package besides seats?

Im debating between this and a vette but leaning towards this due to the fun factor of driving. im not out trying to run 10s in the 1/4 or have 500hp and do 160+. Looking for a fun spirited car to drive. Dont get me wrong, I love my s2000 and it has been nothing but great to me and a blast to drive, just that time to upgrade:)

Heres a couple pics and modlist of it

Please feel free to chime in any info you would like:)

Thanks,
John
Engine:

• 03 JDM F20c swap from hmotorsonline
  • Top Fuel Carbon Fiber Intake
  • Invida 70mm Single Exhaust
  • Spec II clutch
  • JDM bored throttle body (came with motor)
  • Comptech Competition Reinforced Differential Housing
  • Richmond 4.56 Gear
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes:
  • 18" Enkei RSVs
  • Falken FK-452s 245/40/18 back and 225/40/18 front
Interior:
  • Ap2 Center Console
  • Ap2 Red and Black Seats Ap2 Red and Black door panels
  • CR shift knob
Exterior:
  • Veilside widebody molded
  • APR GTC-200 Carbon Fiber Adjustable Wing
  • VIS cf hood
  • Hard top

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well im off to a great start.... thats what I get for having a few different windows open...

didnt mean to post in forsale section. if a mod can move this to the general, that would be great. thanks and sorry for the newb mistake. haha

·
Registered
146 Posts
Welcome! I recently upgraded myself going from the trusty old DC5 to the Elise. :D I'd answer your questions but i'm not so sure about anything yet myself.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hope this helps

You can find a tone of discussions for new lotus owners in this forum. To be honest i had a down payment last year on a 2008 C6 before i drove the lotus elise. Wife wanted to check out the elise. After driving the elise i was hooked. I went with the else by the way. Here is a basic difference

Exige- Very aggressive track car. Exige makes a ton of down force. From 2007 and up models come with a supercharger. That is 210hp instead of 190hp and a nice hp curve. 2006 had a special addition with supercharger, but not that common. Can't see out the back of the car.

Elise- Fun on track and road. Still has downforce, but not as much as the Exige. Elise 05-07 are not supercharged. 08 is the first year they offer it stock.

Diff in years. 05 first year in the US. 06 added LED tail lights and Drive by Wire. 07 added raised letters for LOTUS in the back of the car. 08 Added a supercharger on the elise. There maybe others, but that is all i can remember right now.

Here is the fun part. You can purchase a 2006 elise for about 36k give or take a few thousand up or down depending on the usual stuff. Now the good part. For an additional 5k you can add a supercharger and be at 220whp with a 1950lb car. Stock car has 165-170whp.

Now for the bad. Corvettes are very comfortable, but heavy cars. They have tons of fancy options to make them heavier. The lotus community pays mone to make options lighter. They also have great top end speed and good 0-60. Can't handle compared to an elise, but awesome cars. If you buy a lotus know what your getting into to. Many people buy the elise/exige and dump them because of the rough ride or the cramped space. Test drive one for 20min and see how you feel. I was hooked once i drove on some curvy roads :clap:

·
Registered
120 Posts
I know the exige has a wing and front splitter, but what is the sport back? better suspension and wheels/tires?

This is what I found on google

Lotus Elise North America :: PureSportsCar.com - US Lotus Elise Options

can anyone answer any of my other questions? or move this to the right section
You can get the same wheels on the elise, the body on the exige makes a lot of downforce(wing helps). Elise still has natural downforce but not nearly as much as the exige. Sport back, or do you mean sport pack. Sport pack gives you lighter rims and the track tires. Again you can get that on each car.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
1. Exige has different body panels and accessories (wing, side scoops, splitter, mesh grills, etc.), and different seats, but is otherwise the same. Standard trim on an Exige is higher than Elise (example: the Sport Pack option on an Elise is the base level Exige.

2. Warranty is three years / 36,000 miles. Ask a dealer about possible extended terms.

3. Things to look for when purchasing used? Well that's pretty subjective. Person A might want to check the torque on every fastener on the car, while Person B might just check that the seats are not ripped. I'll humbly suggest that Person A has the right idea.

4. Major changes:

2007 - Exige S becomes available
2007 - later cars come with bumpers
2008 - N/A Exige dropped, Exige S240 becomes available, Elise SC becomes available

Other minor changes as mentioned in another post above.

5. All Elise/Exige in USA are second generation cars. First gen were not available here.

6. All N/A cars share the same drivetrain with the Celica GTS, except that the ECM is proprietary Lotus, and of course there are a few changes such as exhaust, oil plumbing, etc., for the Lotus installation. Those cars that are not N/A have the addition of a super charger in one configuration or another.

7. Maintenance costs at a dealership are more expensive than a Celica. Access is more difficult, parts cost more through Lotus, and the hourly rate charged for a Lotus certified tech is higher. And that's only considering the drive train. Nothing else is from a Celica.

8. Touring Pack consist of seats, carpet, sound deadening insulation, possibly uprated radio (can't remember on that one, and it doesn't matter anyway; they all suck).

Compared to an S2000, the Lotus is much more fun to drive, will go faster around a track, and that's it. Every other possible measure of comparison will go to the Honda. But to many of us, those two things carry much more weight.

xtn

·
Registered
312 Posts
If you liked the S2k and want more of what makes it special the Elise is a fantastic option. Before I purchased my S2k, I looked at both the C6 and the Elise, so I know where your coming from. The Chevy dealers were offering me fantastic deals on C6's, one dealer had the car I would have wanted and with in 1 minute on the phone they took $8k off MSRP, and I think they would have gone a bit lower. If the car had a better interior, better feeling gearbox and better feeling steering I would be driving a Vette right now. I think the Vette has come a long way, but needs a little refinement until it would be a car I would purchase. The Elise is more fun to drive then the S2k, and I would be driving one except the Honda dealer made me an offer I just couldn't say no to, they really wanted my infiniti and offered me a fantastic deal that no lotus dealer could get close to touching. The Elise is more fragile then the S2k, but it's also more rewarding to drive. If you think your S2k turns some heads, you haven't seen anything yet! If you liked what the S2k represents and want to take it to the next level go with the Elise, if you like the idea of the S2k but want more torque and to go faster the Vette is no longer a bad option.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
2. Warranty is three years / 36,000 miles. Ask a dealer about possible extended terms.

xtn
The drivetrain is only 24,000

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can find a tone of discussions for new lotus owners in this forum. To be honest i had a down payment last year on a 2008 C6 before i drove the lotus elise. Wife wanted to check out the elise. After driving the elise i was hooked. I went with the else by the way. Here is a basic difference

Exige- Very aggressive track car. Exige makes a ton of down force. From 2007 and up models come with a supercharger. That is 210hp instead of 190hp and a nice hp curve. 2006 had a special addition with supercharger, but not that common. Can't see out the back of the car.

Elise- Fun on track and road. Still has downforce, but not as much as the Exige. Elise 05-07 are not supercharged. 08 is the first year they offer it stock.

Diff in years. 05 first year in the US. 06 added LED tail lights and Drive by Wire. 07 added raised letters for LOTUS in the back of the car. 08 Added a supercharger on the elise. There maybe others, but that is all i can remember right now.

Here is the fun part. You can purchase a 2006 elise for about 36k give or take a few thousand up or down depending on the usual stuff. Now the good part. For an additional 5k you can add a supercharger and be at 220whp with a 1950lb car. Stock car has 165-170whp.

Now for the bad. Corvettes are very comfortable, but heavy cars. They have tons of fancy options to make them heavier. The lotus community pays mone to make options lighter. They also have great top end speed and good 0-60. Can't handle compared to an elise, but awesome cars. If you buy a lotus know what your getting into to. Many people buy the elise/exige and dump them because of the rough ride or the cramped space. Test drive one for 20min and see how you feel. I was hooked once i drove on some curvy roads :clap:

supercharged model made 210 and base model made 190? seems kind of low for boost..

so im guessing thats why 05s are going for pretty much 30k? the 08 with the supercharger is hurting resale.

yeah when I was looking at corvettes and on forums, everyone kept telling me to get the loaded one with navi... dont understand why someone would want a navi system on a vette.... I guess just to say you have it.. *shrugs*

iv had the s2000 for awhile. Im use to the rough ride, lack of interior room and trunk. I like the feeling when you sit in it that your wearing the car rather then sitting in it.

definately seems like a normal base model elise is more then enough for me without the track pack.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
supercharged model made 210 and base model made 190? seems kind of low for boost..

so im guessing thats why 05s are going for pretty much 30k? the 08 with the supercharger is hurting resale.

yeah when I was looking at corvettes and on forums, everyone kept telling me to get the loaded one with navi... dont understand why someone would want a navi system on a vette.... I guess just to say you have it.. *shrugs*

iv had the s2000 for awhile. Im use to the rough ride, lack of interior room and trunk. I like the feeling when you sit in it that your wearing the car rather then sitting in it.

definately seems like a normal base model elise is more then enough for me without the track pack.
It's 220 horsepower (realistically more like 230 based on dynos) and the power curves are much more linear with a much flatter torque curve.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
It's 220 horsepower (realistically more like 230 based on dynos) and the power curves are much more linear with a much flatter torque curve.
Another reason the forced induction doesn't raise the power by 50% like some other vehicles is that the engine already has 11.5:1 compression, and isn't really suitable to run 18 friggin pounds of boost like some other vehicles. At least not without redoing the engine itself with improved internals.

xtn

·
Registered
6,571 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Another reason the forced induction doesn't raise the power by 50% like some other vehicles is that the engine already has 11.5:1 compression, and isn't really suitable to run 18 friggin pounds of boost like some other vehicles. At least not without redoing the engine itself with improved internals.

xtn
i see it uses the eaton m45. their small charger. maybe the m62 would have been a better choice. im assuming boost is around 4-6psi then. are you guys talking bhp or whp?

is it a 3yr/36k for everything or just the powertrain?

im not sure on the toyota motor, but most high compression honda motors do well with small boost and can handle a lil more with a thicker headgasket to drop the compression.

anyway to help protect the fiberglass body from rock ships? i know i saw something about a star shield? can you get a clear bra for it like with the bmws?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
i see it uses the eaton m45. their small charger. maybe the m62 would have been a better choice. im assuming boost is around 4-6psi then. are you guys talking bhp or whp?

is it a 3yr/36k for everything or just the powertrain?

im not sure on the toyota motor, but most high compression honda motors do well with small boost and can handle a lil more with a thicker headgasket to drop the compression.

anyway to help protect the fiberglass body from rock ships? i know i saw something about a star shield? can you get a clear bra for it like with the bmws?
3yr/36k for everything. Emissions is obviously longer.

The engine is certainly capable of more power. Just look at the cup cars and the Exige S 240, but the company hangs onto some things for later releases, as most manufacturers do.

You'll find starshield (clear bra) on just about all of them. I've never seen a Lotus without it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
3yr/36k for everything. Emissions is obviously longer.

The engine is certainly capable of more power. Just look at the cup cars and the Exige S 240, but the company hangs onto some things for later releases, as most manufacturers do.

You'll find starshield (clear bra) on just about all of them. I've never seen a Lotus without it.
ok so the starshield is another name for a clear bra. gotcha

seems like the 1.8 is unchanged minus the manifolds and ecu tuned by lotus. im guessing it records driving as well?

also, whats the piece that covers the engine bay here. the elises i have seen just drop strait down, doesnt slope out

1 - 20 of 44 Posts