The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, I test drove a 2004 Honda S2000 this weekend (2.2 liter revised version), and I must say, I absolutely loved it. The S2000 is fabulous in every way I would want it to be. My dilemma, do I love the Elise $10,000 + more ? Initially, I say yes... but then, I could walk out the door tomorow with a brand new S2000 in the color combo of my choice, with satelite radio, and money left over for HRE's, suspension and a titanium exhaust (with cash to spare). I, like you all, want the Elise more than anything, and have waited patiently all of this time. Those of you in the same spot, what is your thinking? Hearing peoples counterpoints helps me to clear my own head.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I don't think the time should matter, that is just about your ability to delay gratification. If it was me, I would ask the question if the Elise and S2000 were at the dealers today, ready to be picked up, which would you choose. But that is just me.

The comparison of mods you could make with the savings, perhaps those are mods you would not feel compelled to buy with the Elise?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well..

I shouldn't have included time, as it is not a factor whatsoever. As for the mods, I love modding, it is as much a hobby to me as driving or trackdays... I desperately love the and want the Elise... just trying to think through all of my options.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Buy the S2K, sell the Elise for a 5k profit, sell the S2K at a 5k loss after a year if you decide you want the Elise, buy the Elise right off the dealer floor once the hype has died out

that way you get to have a car now, drive it and see how much you love it. You will also have a chance to drive the Elise in this time. Then you can make the decision and end up breaking even.

-Steve

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
what # are you on the elise list and at what dealer???
Is it going to be a weekend-only car???

just curious - where did you go for your s2000 test-drive???

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

it will be a weekend car. I want the Elise much, much more. It is just a bit troublesome that I know I love driving the S2000, and I think I will love driving the Elise.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
If you have driven both the S2000 and the Elise, and you would be happy with the Honda, you can save some $$ and not worry.

If you think you really like the S2000, but haven't driven an Elise, especially the fed version, you may think that you will be happy with the Honda, but you may be disappointed. If you buy the S2000, never ever get into an Elise - better not to know the difference.

·
Registered
228 Posts
jml1952 said:
If you have driven both the S2000 and the Elise, and you would be happy with the Honda, you can save some $$ and not worry.

If you think you really like the S2000, but haven't driven an Elise, especially the fed version, you may think that you will be happy with the Honda, but you may be disappointed. If you buy the S2000, never ever get into an Elise - better not to know the difference.
Translation: better not taste Kobe Tenderloin when Slim Jims are nirvana
;)

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
KOBE beef is heavenly, even the burger is wonderful!
Be patient and get the car that sets you apart from the crowd, the Elise!! An S2000 is pretty commonplace by now. When the Elises start to hit the street there will be a huge groundswell of interest from non-drivers. Hopefully the price will seem too high since they will not understand why the car is ultimately so desireable..Handling!!

·
Registered
259 Posts
I understand your dilemma. You can't go wrong with either. The S2000 is great value, but I'm certain of one thing...the Elise will be more fun to drive. I test drove the Euro car last fall, and I loved it.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
I don't doubt it's a great car.... however I saw 4 of them just today and was so under whelmed with its presence. When I saw the Elise at the NYC autoshow I simply coud not stop looking at it from every direction. You see an Elise and you know something special is rolling by. The S2000 dosen't have that kind of soulful character. IMHO of course..

·
Registered
279 Posts
ROCKCENTER said:
well, I test drove a 2004 Honda S2000 this weekend (2.2 liter revised version), and I must say, I absolutely loved it. The S2000 is fabulous in every way I would want it to be. My dilemma, do I love the Elise $10,000 + more ? Initially, I say yes... but then, I could walk out the door tomorow with a brand new S2000 in the color combo of my choice, with satelite radio, and money left over for HRE's, suspension and a titanium exhaust (with cash to spare). I, like you all, want the Elise more than anything, and have waited patiently all of this time. Those of you in the same spot, what is your thinking? Hearing peoples counterpoints helps me to clear my own head.

Should you choose the S2k, you'd finally end up buying just another car. (a good one indeed!)

Elise is, simply put, not just another car. It's a Lotus Elise (period). :bow:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Not for everyone.......

Here's what I did. I've been out of a fast/fun ride way too long. Saving planning for the Elise made me crazy, literally! Spring fever got me and between some drivers license/insurance points coming off my record and my thirst for adrenaline. I once again started shopping the used Viper GTS listings. The whole spiritual dilemma: Raw gut wrenching horsepower and top end blasts vs. Handling finess and exactness. Oh the horror! I took my friends vette for a ride Z06, T1 suspension. Thought about how the Ford Rustangs (I can say it, owned two) with $1k in the motor will fry an Elise at a stop light (sob). Thought about appearing before the judge again and trying to use the same old story, "Your honor there was an emergency at the hospital and it required me to drive 158mph on that open stretch of highway". Then I posted some quip about mid-life crisis and some brilliant guy came back and asked if I had bought a sport bike yet? He even posted one that would match my SY Elise! Well, Daddy got a new passion to take my mind off the Elise hysteria. I shopped around and picked up a Yamaha FZ6. What an easy, no hassle, cheap, supe fun ride. I'll be fine now, as it cools off here at the coast, I'll get my Elise and be fine letting the bike sit until next years spring rally craziness! Buy a bike, stay in the sub 150mph, be true to the handling/nimble Gods, say no to the tempting creature comforts and V-8's/V-10's. Lotus believer back in the fold.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts