The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone else has had this happen? Any ideas?

Not sure if this is related, but here are the details. Occasionally, the Exige would stall when I make a full stop from 4th/3rd gear into neutral. It's a rare occurrence, but it happens every now and then. The engine just starts to sputter and if I don't gas it in time, it stalls. I read here that it's normal for some Exige's, and it wasn't too major for me, so I've let it go as a minor Lotus nuisance :tadts:

But today, while driving around, the oil light suddenly came on. The car otherwise was completely fine - no weird sounds from the engine, no loss of power, etc. I drove the car another few miles back, keeping it under 3000rpm, and parked it. The oil level appears to be normal and everything else is fine, it's just the oil light that's worrying me. The car starts up as normal...just the oil light.

Any ideas?

Here's a video of the engine running. There's a slight ticking, but I've never noticed whether or not it's always done this.
Exige - YouTube

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
Not sure the light in your pic is the oil light, looks like the check engine light to me
Agreed. Get an OBD reader.

As a rule of thumb. When the actual oil light comes on, don't drive another inch.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agreed. Get an OBD reader.

As a rule of thumb. When the actual oil light comes on, don't drive another inch.
Thank you! You're totally right...it's the check engine light. :facepalm

Any harm driving it 15-20 miles with the check engine light on, to get the code read?

Graham

·
Registered
216 Posts
Thank you! You're totally right...it's the check engine light. :facepalm

Any harm driving it 15-20 miles with the check engine light on, to get the code read?

Graham
shouldn't be catastrophic to drive with the light on, but it may be time to invest in your own OBDII reader as they are ~$10 on ebay and pair to your phone.. original problem happens to me from time to time. the cause for the light could be simply a bad tank of gas or a loose gas cap.

·
Cyberdyne Model 101
347 Posts
No one is going to be able to tell you whether its ok. so take the safe route and assume its not ok....remember, The code came on for a reason and that is to tell you something is not normal.

I would park it and take your daily driver to get the reader. Or simply order one from amazon. Good luck bro

·
Cyberdyne Model 101
347 Posts
shouldn't be catastrophic to drive with the light on, but it may be time to invest in your own OBDII reader as they are ~$10 on ebay and pair to your phone.. original problem happens to me from time to time. the cause for the light could be simply a bad tank of gas or a loose gas cap.
Sorry but I completly disagree ......Blindly assuming everything is fine can end up costing him in the end... Yes it could be something silly like the things you listed (and more than likely it is) but why chance it when it's completely unnecessary ?
In the end neither you or I has any idea what's wrong with the car. That said its better to take the safe route and to ensure he isn't doing more harm by driving it..

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you both - this forum is awesome. I'll get it checked out and will let you know when I find out what's causing it!

RP_Guy - I agree, I'll need to get one!

Graham

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I feel like an idiot, but I just checked the gas cap. The entire gas cap was unscrewed, must have come undone while I was driving. I have a feeling that's what it was... :facepalm

·
Cyberdyne Model 101
347 Posts
I'm glad things worked out, I'd still invest in the OBDII reader just to have in the future though. At least now you can enjoy the weekend :up:

·
Registered
216 Posts
I feel like an idiot, but I just checked the gas cap. The entire gas cap was unscrewed, must have come undone while I was driving. I have a feeling that's what it was... :facepalm
Glad it was that simple, but you'll probably want to get that light checked anyway. A good tip (and on the fuel door on my Acura) is to turn the cap till it clicks 3 times. Should be the right torque to keep it from unscrewing.

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
I think your all paranoid! Listen to your car first, then make that decision.

Sorry but I completly disagree ......Blindly assuming everything is fine can end up costing him in the end... Yes it could be something silly like the things you listed (and more than likely it is) but why chance it when it's completely unnecessary ?
In the end neither you or I has any idea what's wrong with the car. That said its better to take the safe route and to ensure he isn't doing more harm by driving it..

·
He's on fire!
3,407 Posts
its so cheap to get the reader, if you're going to be asking about CEL's online it makes no sense NOT to have one (or know how to get it read for free). No one can help you without the code.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts