The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Car is an 08 S240. I had let it sit in the garage for a few weeks and figured this was the battery going dead and needed a recharge, but it's a very different kind of clicking than normal. The second the key is put in the ignition there is a loud fast clicking coming from the front of the car and the dash doesn't light up.

Normally when the battery is drained the dash will light up, but the start button won't respond and the clicking will come from the back end of the car.

I have the battery on a tender right now charging. Did the battery just completely die or am I looking at something else that may have broke?

Video below:

http://youtu.be/zEY7-Ea48sk

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Just try a jump start. If that works, 99% it's the battery.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sounds the same as what happened to me.

The battery could be completly finished and may not charge back up.

I originally put it on a tender for a few days and tried to start with similar symptoms.

Then I used a full size charger and was able to get it to start but the charge did not hold.

Bought a new battery ....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What battery do you guys recommend as a replacement? I've never been able to find the one that comes with the car, and when I check out the typical Optimas and such in local stores, I can't figure out how the Lotus terminals connect to them.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
What battery do you guys recommend as a replacement? I've never been able to find the one that comes with the car, and when I check out the typical Optimas and such in local stores, I can't figure out how the Lotus terminals connect to them.
There's a whole section just for it on the forum, dude.. -poke-
Batteries, Brackets and Chargers - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f321/battery-choices-information-64071/

Just like anything else, the choices depend on your performance requirement and budget.
From Low Price/Low Weight/Dependability, Pick two.

Those auto shops you mentioned should carry all the required small bits to connect to the battery.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Definitely sounds like the battery ... this is the main reason I put a manually bypass to shut off the battery when not in use (link below). Car used to start and run like crap after sitting for a few weeks due to the battery drain ... but now starts like a champ every time. Definitely get a jump or just trickle charge overnight and it should be good.

Amazon.com: WirthCo 20387 Battery Doctor Mini Master Rotary Dial Disconnect Switch with On/Off Knob and Bottom Cover: Automotive

Cheers,
Zoomby_U

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For anyone elses future reference, the codes thrown after the battery dying were:

P0601
P0630

It's a mismatch of the car's VIN number and what's stored in the ECU after it got wiped out from the battery dying. The only way to fix is to have it programmed at a dealer with a lotus tool. A PITA, but at least it's nothing wrong with the engine.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
For anyone elses future reference, the codes thrown after the battery dying were:

P0601
P0630

It's a mismatch of the car's VIN number and what's stored in the ECU after it got wiped out from the battery dying. The only way to fix is to have it programmed at a dealer with a lotus tool. A PITA, but at least it's nothing wrong with the engine.
For the people who may experience similar issue, VIN wipe happens when Battery power is cut off before ECU does a proper shutdown.
This corrupts the EEPROM image, and the ECU re-initializes at next start up.

---
Source
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f171/cable-sw-reset-ecu-181010/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts