The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took it in for 1k service and pulling into dealer check engine light comes on. It has been stahling quite a bit... Well dealer doesn't have new tool to do ecu dump or check engine light. Well here is the good thing they had a newer 240 and it had a mesh hard on the roof scoop and they are able to give early 240 owners it for free so check into it.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Not sure why you would want to add it, I am considering removing mine. :sad: It seems to restrict air flow even more.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Butt-Tossing Scumbags

... Imagine if a lit cigarette got sucked in there. YIKES!
I worry about this nearly every time I drive! :panic: Not for the intercooler roof intake so much as one of those insidious bouncing little buggers lodging in our grills, in the front splitter or somewhere in between and... :eek:

People talk about us swerving from potholes, small animals & vermin etc. EVERY SINGLE DAY one of these inconsiderate smoking LITTERING slob bungholes tosses their freshly last-dragged, lit cigarette butt out his window and of course all I can see :eek: is it bouncing RIGHT TOWARDS ME!!

F'in scumbags!! :no:

One of these days it's gonna happen at a red light, and I am gonna get out, pick it up and chuck it right back into the scumbags car! "Excuse me sir... You dropped something... here it is!" :wave: :thwack:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry about the spelling I have been iphoning and it has that auto correct feature that changes words even if you don't want that word. Anyway, I'm with most of you on air restriction but rocks, cigarettes, small birds, those random shopping bags on the freeway,etc. can get in there.

Although on a different note the stahling issue seems to be a real issue as others have had the same thing with there 240s...

·
Registered
347 Posts
Sadly and more annoyingly I have had that similiar problem on my mini cooper s and people tossing there cigs out the window.. I found several that bounced and got sucked up into the hood scoop. really irritating!

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
I worry about this nearly every time I drive! :panic: Not for the intercooler roof intake so much as one of those insidious bouncing little buggers lodging in our grills, in the front splitter or somewhere in between and... :eek:

People talk about us swerving from potholes, small animals & vermin etc. EVERY SINGLE DAY one of these inconsiderate smoking LITTERING slob bungholes tosses their freshly last-dragged, lit cigarette butt out his window and of course all I can see :eek: is it bouncing RIGHT TOWARDS ME!!

F'in scumbags!! :no:

One of these days it's gonna happen at a red light, and I am gonna get out, pick it up and chuck it right back into the scumbags car! "Excuse me sir... You dropped something... here it is!" :wave: :thwack:

rotfl rotfl rotfl

This was actually a problem on the last generation Porsche Boxsters; one incident had a lit cigarette get sucked into the intake vent and KABOOM!

Not a problem on newer Boxsters...

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
The stalling issue you are referring to is not exclusive to the S240 - many S's including my 07 (which is a VERY early launch car) has it from time to time. There is a lot of speculation about the cause but I haven't heard a definative solution. Lotus actually issued a service bulletin on the 07's which resulted in a reflash of the ECU - - - I got it but it didn't correct the stalling. :tadts:

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
The stalling issue you are referring to is not exclusive to the S240 - many S's including my 07 (which is a VERY early launch car) has it from time to time. There is a lot of speculation about the cause but I haven't heard a definative solution. Lotus actually issued a service bulletin on the 07's which resulted in a reflash of the ECU - - - I got it but it didn't correct the stalling. :tadts:
I had the stalling problem early on also... seemed to get better over time. I've had two reflashes (1,000 mile and 7,500 mile service), and since the second reflash, no stalling at all.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Oh no, the cigarette butts that swines throw out the car window just "go away".

Believe me, I want to do the same thing every time I see it! How do they think that is not littering?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have read that about exige s for over a year now and the stalling issues. It is frustrating as you would think that over that period of time they would have the fix down pat.

Anyway, the 240 started with once every other drive, to 3 or 4 times a drive. So when the check engine came on and no tool at dealer yet for diagnostics, I wanted to see if other 240 owners had the same issue and they do. Both stalling and lack of tool to diagnose the issue, leaving people with a car and the check engine light on. Drive at your own risk kinda thing which is crap.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I drove the car back from the dealer with check engine light on. Car sat since I posted last and thought hey I will start it up today and now the check engine light is off...

So what would or could do that... as I have not done anything besides letting it sit and starting it today? So I took it for a spin and it now doesn't stall. Im even more curious now about this. Any ideas?

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Sadly and more annoyingly I have had that similar problem on my mini cooper s and people tossing there cigs out the window.. I found several that bounced and got sucked up into the hood scoop. really irritating!
Nothing new and I've written about it before. Over 35 years ago, some idiot threw his cigarette out he window. It went in my side window and landed on my back seat. Which is then burned a hole in, and by the time I discovered it, the entire rear seat was smoldering. I managed to pull over, rip the seat out and borrow someone's hose to spray water on it. It still took about 20 minutes to get the smoldering to stop.

Then there was the time I was doing 70 MPH down the freeway in heavy traffic. The cigarette landed on my lap, burned a hole through my windbreaker, then the front of my jeans, and then it started on the tender parts of my body (the steady 70 MPH breeze tended to keep the burring going). Trying to make an "emergency stop on the side of freeway - in heavy traffic - while trying to snuff out the burning in my crotch is not an experience I wish on anybody. Except maybe the idiot that threw the cigarette. :evil:

I think throwing a cigarette out of a car window should be a felony.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
. Both stalling and lack of tool to diagnose the issue, leaving people with a car and the check engine light on. Drive at your own risk kinda thing which is crap.
So im assuming your expierence at MAG was no better than mine. Service wise. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts