The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Joining to research if a stock Exige S260 can be titled and smogged successfully in Kalifornina!
If this is doable, I will need need to figure the steps and costs of returning a modified S260 to stock so I can buy a modded one out of state. Any input or ideas welcome! :)
Carl

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for chiming in. From what I can tell it has a tubular mani, tuned pipe, no cat, ECU is tuned (not sure which), and it has a smaller than stock supercharger pulley. I guess I will need a stock mani & pipe, stock ECU and regular sized pulley.
What are the hardest steps in getting it titled and on the road in CA your experience?

·
Registered
2011 Exige S260 Sport
279 Posts
For mine I had a decat, so I replaced that with an InoKenetic CARB CAT. I also have a Larini muffler, which I left on. When I put the CAT on my O2 sensors lit the CEL, which I reset. Once the pending went away I went in for a smog check, then the DMV. They were both more interested in the missing smog diagram sticker that's supposed to be on the rear hatch than anything else. But they both passed me the first time. The smog check guy was just happy to see a cool car come through... I honestly think (but do not know) that he would have passed me without the CAT. I never saw him look for it, and there's no sniffer.
The risk of going in modified is the BAR gets involved - and that's a bad thing.
I do not believe mine has any tune or pulley swap.
Can you get a CAT between your manifold and muffler?

·
Administrator
5,111 Posts
Welcome to LT Carl! You'll get some good info from the California guys.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds pretty straightforward thanks for the info.

Did Lotus fail to add a CA smog sticker, or had someone simply removed it?

Do you know anyone who can flash me back to stock, or if there are any open source ECU flashing tools that I can use? I have disassembled, recoded and tuned Mitsubishi Evo ECUs for many years and understand the need for the VIN, CAL ID and CVN to match the stock EPA certification data during smog testing. This requires a stock ECU which requires stock everything between intake and exhaust.

I can probably get a stock mani and cat from one of the Bay Area shops, or from someone at the Golden Gate Lotus Club. Thanks for your advice - much appreciated!

·
Administrator
5,111 Posts
Sounds pretty straightforward thanks for the info.

Did Lotus fail to add a CA smog sticker, or had someone simply removed it?

Do you know anyone who can flash me back to stock, or if there are any open source ECU flashing tools that I can use? I have disassembled, recoded and tuned Mitsubishi Evo ECUs for many years and understand the need for the VIN, CAL ID and CVN to match the stock EPA certification data during smog testing. This requires a stock ECU which requires stock everything between intake and exhaust.

I can probably get a stock mani and cat from one of the Bay Area shops, or from someone at the Golden Gate Lotus Club. Thanks for your advice - much appreciated!
The Lotus ECU is unlike others you're accustomed to. Few can unlock it. Maybe get another ECU and keep your stock 260S ecu for after your inspection.

·
Registered
2011 Exige S260 Sport
279 Posts
If you're in the Bay Area check out Dietsch Motorsports / Turbohoses R&D in Livermore. They build Nobels so they know their way around smog issues. They're also very knowledgeable about Lotus.

Hoover Chan runs it.

I'm guessing Lotus never put the sticker on my car - the CF hatch is kind of a strange shape and the sticker is kind of big.... but that's only a guess.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you're in the Bay Area check out Dietsch Motorsports / Turbohoses R&D in Livermore. They build Nobels so they know their way around smog issues. They're also very knowledgeable about Lotus.

Hoover Chan runs it.

I'm guessing Lotus never put the sticker on my car - the CF hatch is kind of a strange shape and the sticker is kind of big.... but that's only a guess.
Will do. Thanks for the Lotus BA references.

·
Premium Member
12,125 Posts
Please use thread titles that allow for search to find them.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
S260 shouldn't be much of an issue as I've seen a few in the Bay Area - some even bought new.

It's a good idea (and good for the environment) to have CAT back in the car to pass visual unless the SMOG guy is blind. I think you have it handled.

For the smaller pulley, you may be able to get by without turning it back to stock if it isn't too small(less than 2.9" or so).

I think certain ECU flash passes smog as all the readiness flags are set correctly, but I don't know the details. If you're able to track down whose tune it is, maybe the tuner can guide you through the process.
I think it'll be easiest to find a used or blank ECU, and install stock tune on it with the dealer tool. Most independent Lotus shops I've seen in California has dealer tools.

One of the dumbest thing I've heard when someone was trying to register the an out of state car in CA was when the DMV clerk "didn't like the look of the VIN plate" on the windshield because it's not metal like other manufactures. The owner offered to show the clerk the VIN on the chassis, but the clerk didn't care.
It was better received at a DMV location in more affluent area since they must've dealt with specialty cars more often.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts