The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone driven both?
I have an S2000 now and am thinking of picking up an elise when they come out in the states.
I drive my s2k every day and even in the winter (with snow tires).
How do they compare?

What do u guys think?

-Ed

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
Hello,

Yes, I drove both (and that was within a 2 week period). I test drove the Elise S2 , then came back to Wisconsin and rally-crossed an S2000.

Where do I begin... the S2000 is a very refined, good handling and attractive car.

The Elise is very much a *tool*. If the S2000 is a steak knife, the Elise is like a scalpel.

They are both very capable cars, but they have slightly different "missions". The S2000 is a livable daily car, or touring car. [EDIT: I'm not calling the S2000 a touring car, I'm saying that it is a 'livable... touring car"] Refined, smooth, quiet. The Elise is much more compromised, but they payoff is that the brakes are better, the steering more precise, the handling is the best you can get without spending $100,000 on a Ferrari Modena (just ask Road & Track magazine.)

The noises that come from the Elise are sure to annoy some people... the little bumps and rattles that come from a suspension and steering system that are not isolated. Get ready for that, you will be going from a very refined ride into something that is not very refined (at least as far as noise/vibration/harshness goes.)

My friend John was along for the test drive, he owns an S2000 and kept saying "wow, this thing is fast!" and "wow, this handles great!".

Drive an Elise before you put your S2000 up for sale, but I'll bet you will be doing just that once you drive the Elise! :)

Thomas

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Thomasio said:
The S2000 is a livable daily car, or touring car.
Calling the S2000 a touring car makes absolutely no sense.... unless you put it in context with the Elise, in which case, I agree - good write-up. ;)

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
i currently drive an S2000 and am buying the first Elise i can get my hands on. In my opinion the Elise is everything i love about the S2000 to the extreme.

-Steve

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
offroadr35 said:
i currently drive an S2000 and am buying the first Elise i can get my hands on. In my opinion the Elise is everything i love about the S2000 to the extreme.

-Steve
That's kinda what I was thinking, light fast, great handling.

It's funny to think that the s2k is a touring car compaired, wow.

noise doesn't bother me, you should hear my s2k with my cold air intake.

Hmmmm.....

The elise looks so good, I can't wait to find out how it tests.

Is the price still going to be around 38k? I can't imagine how a car with 1000lbs less weight would feel. Is it at all possible to drive it in the winter?
It has a heater and AC right?

-Ed

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
I feel qualified to speak about winter driving. I've lived in Wisconsin all of my life and have been a licensed driver more than half of that time.

A car as light as the Elise, with tires as wide as it has, is going to be an absolute nightmare in snow. Don't do it! :(

Thomas

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My s2k is quite livable in the snow, do you think there'd be a steep drop off with the elise? I live in new england we had near record snow fall last year.

Figures I sell my wrx after 2 seasons of almost no snow for my s2k then we get near record snow fall.

Even with a nice set of snows?

-Ed

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
sNOw

Your S2000 would be like the Elise with 800 - 1000 lbs of ballast.

I'm sure than skinny snow tires would help considerably.

Thomas

·
Registered
637 Posts
Funny story: the Elise's snow tyres are not just tyres. Lotus recommend you get a spare set of front wheels and tyres and put those on the back as well of the front in snow (so silly 15" wheels all round - skinny too - say 175's or 185's..).

In my opinion you'd be better off with something with a better heater and a bigger battery (so that you're warm and it starts) in winter. The elise is so low you might turn into a snowplough if you get in a blizzard.

Leave the 'Liz in the garage to hibernate!

Craigy

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
There has always been very different schools of thought about snow driving with a midengined car.

A good number of people think it's insane and a mistake. The midengined weight bias means the front tires do not get as much grip in the snow. Add in a rear wheel drive car. The front end can move around without enough grip if it's icey.

But some people slap on a separate set of snow tires and tell us it's fine.

Some people think the car should not be driven in the snow anyways, because of other drivers and accidents.... and because of road salt. And sometimes, in the winter... the cool car seems less important than a good heater and knobby tires.

But then... I live in San Diego. I only visit snow. :)

·
Registered
637 Posts
oh forgot to mention because of the exposed radiator you're supposed to clear the snow off it before setting off.

The manual doesn't say what you're supposed to do while you're driving....

Craigy

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Nice pic. I like it. Is that Artic Silver? :0 (yeah, it's darker than that)

·
Registered
637 Posts
That car is gunmetal grey (good colour since it's close to the underlying paint and bare glassfibre so when you get stonechips they don't show up too much). It's wearing a hardtop too - see the outline of the trim panel has melted the snow above it?

Craigy

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I have an Exige and a S2000.

Would I drive either in the winter - NO. Get a beater and drive it when the white stuff is flying. I'm of the school that cars have a purpose and you should drive them for that purpose. An Elise was not meant to be driven in the snow - it's meant to be on the B-roads or on the track, IMHO.

I can't imagine driving an Elise everyday in the winter. Keep in mind the repair costs if you do hit something. You can't just replace the front bumper on these things - you have to replace the clam. Then think about the chassis. How many people do you know that are qualified to put together a bonded aluminum chassis??

Back to the original question - the S2000 is a luxury car compared to the Elise. Kind of like comparing a S2000 to a Boxster or maybe even a Z8.

·
Registered
637 Posts
meat said:
I have an Exige and a S2000.

Would I drive either in the winter - NO. Get a beater and drive it when the white stuff is flying. I'm of the school that cars have a purpose and you should drive them for that purpose. An Elise was not meant to be driven in the snow - it's meant to be on the B-roads or on the track, IMHO.

I can't imagine driving an Elise everyday in the winter. Keep in mind the repair costs if you do hit something. You can't just replace the front bumper on these things - you have to replace the clam. Then think about the chassis. How many people do you know that are qualified to put together a bonded aluminum chassis??

Back to the original question - the S2000 is a luxury car compared to the Elise. Kind of like comparing a S2000 to a Boxster or maybe even a Z8.
Bent chassis is usually a write off. I don't think even lotus try to fix them! - perhaps take the whole car apart and replace the chassis but to be hanest it's probably better just to get a whole new car.

Craigy

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Hmmm... doesn't that increase the cost of your insurance then?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts