The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been cruising for an Audi S4 Avant(B-5 2.7 bi-turbo)stick for the past few months and have had little luck. Either the car would be heavily modded with a giant price(OK:shrug:) or be a low mileage gem and be priced at the moon. As I recall there were only 1,300 brought to the US anyway, and about 1/2 of them are sticks.
Ultimate find would be a white or pearl white car. Pearl white was a $2,500 add to the price back in 2001 so finding one of them would be next to impossible. In selling Audis for the last 6 years I had only seen one before set up in this configuration(I sold it Certified Pre-Owned to a guy in S.F. and really wanted to purchase the car at the time for myself but my boss said "no way, too rare")
Yesterday I was cruising the cars.com site and I found a pearl White stick Avant in San Francisco! :eek: Could it be? On closer inspection the guys name that I sold it to is in the ad with a tel#. I originally had told this guy that if he ever was interested in selling it to call me but he thought I was just trying to be a "nice sales guy" and make him feel good about his purchase.:rolleyes:
Long story/short I got the car at a fair price and I am the new owner:D.
I have long thought that this is one of those "sweet spot" cars in Audi's lineage. Fun track day car(portly though) and you can go to the nursery or take the dogs to the dog park with it as well.
The B-5 has an interior that rivals the newer cars such as the current RS4(way more plasticky). The seats are very supportive and the quality of the leather is top notch.
Big brake kit, chip(K-04's?), driveline stabiliser, Ohlins, rear shock tower brace, Short shifter, and lock and load!!:up:
Someone stole his Xenons last year so the car has new Xenon headlamp assemblies, nice and crystal clear...

Attachments

·
Registered
664 Posts
I had a sedan S4 back in 02. Traded in for an 04 sedan. Sold it and was looking for an 01-02 Avant in Imola yellow, but they were either heavily modded or too far away from me or with too many miles. Maybe in next life.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
LOVE the B5 S4, I'd take an avant in Nogaro with blue alcantera seats please.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a sedan S4 back in 02. Traded in for an 04 sedan. Sold it and was looking for an 01-02 Avant in Imola yellow, but they were either heavily modded or too far away from me or with too many miles. Maybe in next life.
I found a really low mile(like 30,000 or?) Imola Yellow Stick in Santa Cruz on Craigslist but the guy was firm at $25K so I passed. Might still be out there..

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOVE the B5 S4, I'd take an avant in Nogaro with blue alcantera seats please.

That is THE SAME car that I had and modded to RS4 spec(seats front and back, all OEM exterior bodywork, intercoolers, intake, etc....)I drove that car from 2002-2004(loved it!). It was pushing 400hp! I sold it to one of the guys up at Stasis so the wife would let me get the Elise! Now I got my S4 Avant back and the Elise! I don't know if she has quite figured it out yet(he, he)! I am making a list of mods:D
I am OVER the Nogaro.....

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I loved my 2000 bi turbo s4 and it drove and felt top notch but soon as it was out of warranty I had to move on as it was a maintenance whore. It had $23,000 in warranty work done :(

How are the new versions with reliability?
I keep looking at the s5 and would love the rs6 avant if they bring it over.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I loved my 2000 bi turbo s4 and it drove and felt top notch but soon as it was out of warranty I had to move on as it was a maintenance whore. It had $23,000 in warranty work done :(

How are the new versions with reliability?
I keep looking at the s5 and would love the rs6 avant if they bring it over.
Yeah, I agree in regard to the RS4Avant(unbelievable that they brought the $85K RS4 Cabriolet currently w-$6,000 dealer cash and not the Avant:wallbang:) The daeler cash means that they can't get rid of them:shrug:
The 2000 S-4 was the first year and did have some issues(turbos's, etc.).
I have always had great luck with my two previous S4 Avants(Nogaro 6spd and a Black Tiptronic).

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
3,500 hydraulic clutch went then it began...
countless I mean 14 or 15 oxygen sensors - MAF sensors, wheel barings, instrument cluster, sunroof control or gremlin, power steering pump, coolant reservoir, etc.

But even with the issues we still loved that car. I still make comments on how great the xenon headlamps were.

How is the new s4 with reliability? My wife is starting the hinting...

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine's been solid. 40k miles and its only been to the dealer for service. My only complaint is the poor gas mileage.
In 2005 the wife got a B6 S4 Avant stick and the gas mileage WAS horrible..
I traded it for a B5 tiptronic for her then she got a Cayenne:eek::wallbang:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Congrats!

I have a heavily modified 2001 Santorin Blue Avant 6 speed. Welcome to the club. I might be buying an Elise as my weekend /fun car next week. We will see.

I think significantly less than 50% were manual - so there are likely <650 six speed biturbo Avants in the US. Think about how many have died in wrecks in 4-6 years and the number is even smaller.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Perry. That is one clean car. Im at a loss of words.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a heavily modified 2001 Santorin Blue Avant 6 speed. Welcome to the club. I might be buying an Elise as my weekend /fun car next week. We will see.

I think significantly less than 50% were manual - so there are likely <650 six speed biturbo Avants in the US. Think about how many have died in wrecks in 4-6 years and the number is even smaller.
Good luck with the Elise purchase. I would say "just do it!"

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Perry. That is one clean car. Im at a loss of words.

I paid $18,000. Being that it is an Avant, a manual, and it is in a rare color I felt pretty good about it.:shrug:

Someone backed into the car a few months ago so the front bumper and grilles are all new with a nice paint job as well.. I have an appointment tomorrow to get the rear bumper up to speed(scuffed up a bit).

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It would be cool to get a front end tow dolly and tow the Elise to the track with it:up: I wonder if there are any lightweight tow dollys?

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I had a '00 S4 in Nogaro with blue alcantara. I also got rid of it when the mileage climbed and the warranty expired. It was a very nice car. Probably my wife's favorite of all the cars I've owned.

I'd also be tempted by a 6 speed bi-turbo avant ... but the cars can be really problematic & I'm afraid of dumping huge $$s into an older Audi.

There is another option ... BMW 535xiT with manual. That's a sweet car. You have your German wagon, your AWD, and your bi-turbo engine.

I'd love to order one -- in a special color too. :drool:

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Check this out! One of the cleanest used cars I have ever seen...:clap:
The interior looks nearly new. I did have to replace the(weak) dash mounted cupholder this am.
The new lighting looks great.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
The paint on this car looks BRAND NEW. This guy kept it garaged.
The rear bumper however is in SERIOUS need. It was a poor paint match job that someone(aftermarket) did.
I eliminated the rear audi rings 0000 and added the proper S4 badge for what I think is a much cleaner look.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts