The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a shot in the dark but does anyone have any of the various upgraded ECU chips laying around they might be planning on selling? I am considering Chip 3 so curious on opinions from those that have done the upgrade. I did read the comparisons between the various chips so still not sure which one to ultimately get. Thanks.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have a chip at home I will get some more info later today.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
It isn't "just" a chip. Your ECU has the chip soldered in (if it has not been modified). You have to remove the soldered in chip and either solder in a socket or solder the new chip in (not recommended). This kind of soldering work is not for a novice. The parts are easily damaged from excessive heat and it is too easy to solder "bridge" the traces because they are so small and so close together. On top of all that is the possibility of damage from static discharge.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It isn't "just" a chip. Your ECU has the chip soldered in (if it has not been modified). You have to remove the soldered in chip and either solder in a socket or solder the new chip in (not recommended). This kind of soldering work is not for a novice. The parts are easily damaged from excessive heat and it is too easy to solder "bridge" the traces because they are so small and so close together. On top of all that is the possibility of damage from static discharge.
David Teitelbaum
Thanks David. I plan on having my mechanic do any of the work required unless I go the plug and play adapter route.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would start here if you want to avoid soldering and desire a plug and play solution:

WC Engineering : Lotus Esprit : MEM-cal Adapter

I went with the standard WC S4s chip in my S4 and I love it. I've had it for three or four years now with no problem. They aren't expensive given the return on investment.
Thanks for that link. I will look into that option as well.

·
Registered
153 Posts
If you are not planning to run any crazy mods (mostly stock hardware), to do The S4s Chip from WC. This will be your best bank for your buck! Ask him for the "right" recipe he will prob share that with you...

JG

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
I had one of the "improved" programs in my S4s. John at WC was nice enough to reprogram it back to the stock S4s program. Learn from my experience if you wish.

These engines are mostly 20+ years old. If you want max performance, just buy any modern Mustang or Camaro, they're faster. If you want to have a good time and allow your pistons to have a nice happy life, stay with no more than the S4s boost level. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I have a "Chip Switch" from Markus at PUK. works very well and has 7 programs. All you do is change the number via a switch, let the ECU relearn, and go have fun. So I could drive stock, 'high Torque', and S4S back to back. I have never driven the other programs on the switch which include the red race code and a 310 and 330 code. The latter are less safe for stock motors per Markus.

There is a noticeable difference. The S4s is very nice, and the high-torque absolutely gives more low end at the expense of a little high end. Either one is a significant improvement over stock, hopefully without stressing the drivetrain too much. I drive the two depending on what mood I'm in.

Randy

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you are not planning to run any crazy mods (mostly stock hardware), to do The S4s Chip from WC. This will be your best bank for your buck! Ask him for the "right" recipe he will prob share that with you...

JG
I had one of the "improved" programs in my S4s. John at WC was nice enough to reprogram it back to the stock S4s program. Learn from my experience if you wish.

These engines are mostly 20+ years old. If you want max performance, just buy any modern Mustang or Camaro, they're faster. If you want to have a good time and allow your pistons to have a nice happy life, stay with no more than the S4s boost level. Your mileage may vary.

Not looking for max performance but probably just the High Torque S4S Version 2.0 (Chip 3). Can you tell me who WC is and how to get in touch with John? Doesn't hurt to ask him about it. Thanks.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sorry madmap, I forgot to subscribe to this thread... Yes the info above is accurate and John is a great guy, and he def can help you!

JG

1 - 13 of 13 Posts