The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, I have been away from the group for awhile (format issues) and just super busy. I would like to thank everyone for all the advice and imput nursing My S4 back to good health and She runs extremely well. Anyway I had a chance to drive a V8 Esprit and after a long soul searching I wish to purchase a V8 esprit, So I want to sell my S4 and buy a V8.
Should I stay with my 4 banger or go all in and get the V8

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,090 Posts
Should I stay with my 4 banger or go all in and get the V8

Having driven both, I'd say it's a personal preference.

The 4 banger LOVES to rev, but the V8 is an ANIMAL due to the torque. Drives a bit "heavier", IMO.

Maintenance costs can be higher with the V8 as well...but many owners think it is worth it.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Having driven both, I'd say it's a personal preference.

The 4 banger LOVES to rev, but the V8 is an ANIMAL due to the torque. Drives a bit "heavier", IMO.

Maintenance costs can be higher with the V8 as well...but many owners think it is worth it.
Never driven a V8 Esprit though torque would be nice.. the ONE thing I love about the late model v8's is the updated interior...

·
Registered
268 Posts
I've driven both an S4S and a V8. The V8 is a notch up in terms of performance, and easier to drive fast due to the readily available torque.

If you like the feel of a turbo I'd say stick wit the S4. If you like more grunt then the V8 is your car. Handling seems to be about the same between them IMHO.

If I blow up my four banger '88 Esprit engine sometime, I'm going for a V8. Specifically, a Ford 331 stroker in place of the four banger. I know that sounds like painting a mustache on the MonaLisa but I think that would be a helluva car. The esprit was designed with a V8 in mind so there's no need to think the four banger is any more pure than the 3.5tt V8.

Just my $.02.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ageed, all pionts are valid. I honestly love the S4 everything about it,and when I got it I thought it could not get any better even with the flaws and money spent over $10,000 to get it right, And if you never drive a V8, I think the whole world would be content with the 4cly Esprit. But if you do drive a V8 im sure you will be torn as well.
I had this talk with a few members before I bought the S4, and my aurguement to myself was as far as the V8 goes and from the group, I got the impression that the V8'S were twice as much money all across the board but not twice the car and is the headache really worth the mere 86 hp bump . whereas the 4cly cars are tried and tested. I think you just have to want it and all that comes with it the good and bad

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
The V-8 has a lot of little refinements over the S4 or even the S4s. IMHO the interior is nicer, the shifter has a better mechanism, the A/C works better, the brakes are a LOT better (not the Delco system), the engine management system is a lot more engineered, etc. The biggy IS the motor and it has a LOT more torque. It will lug even at low speed in 5th gear and not bog down. The worst thing anyone can say about the V-8 is that it will cost you more to buy and will cost more to repair. If you track the car it does drive heavier than the 4 cyl, the 4 cyl is probably the better car to track. A major reason a V-8 is more expensive to buy than a 4 cyl is that they are newer and a newer car generally is worth more than an older car all other things being equal. If you have the budget I would go for the V-8 but if I had to settle, an S4 or an S4s is not a bad choice. The most important thing is how any particular car was cared for. A flogged and beat V-8 would not be a good choice over a well cared for S4 for instance. If you are looking for a V-8 I know of a nice one in New Jersey. There is also a VERY yellow (and from what I hear very nice) S4s nearby for sale.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[QUOTE=BeermanI've driven both an S4S and a V8. The V8 is a notch up in terms of performance, and easier to drive fast due to the readily available torque.

I agree 100%

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks David, I think you have nailed it on the head. Very well said and you make perfect sence. I didnt settle for a 4cly, I think in my mind I was playing it safe but honestly I didnt even look at it the way you spelled it out just now. I got my S4 and went crazy trying to repair and upgrade it to make it as perfect I can without a real regard of cost, I think many of us try to make our older car mimic the newer ones in some fashion or another without even realizing that we do it, but we get cautious about what the V8 will cost down the road, yet we will spend thousands on our 4cly to peserve or update Just ask me,It became an obsession which Im sure many can relate and I really think it might have been cheaper to have just bought a V8 up to this point or at least getting there,cause I keep wanting to upgrade upgrade and upgrade. I just have it in my mind that I want a 1999 or newer Esprit, but to be clear the S4 is a spectacular exotic which anyone should be proud to own

·
Super Moderator
4,033 Posts
[snip]And if you never drive a V8, I think the whole world would be content with the 4cly Esprit. But if you do drive a V8 im sure you will be torn as well.[snip]
Coming from a Mustang V8 with 300 HP to the Esprit 210HP Turbo 4, I could only imagine what a 350HP Esprit feels like.

I had the generous offer to drive a 2003 Final Edition Esprit V8, but declined because I knew if I drove it, there would be no turning back.

And I could not justify selling my 4 cyl Esprit (with all the work $$$ put into it already) and move to a V8. The financials would make a CPA puke.

The seduction of V8 torque is very powerful :evil:

·
Registered
902 Posts
I'm trying to sell my 1997 Corvette with 350 horsepower/350 lb/ft of torque so I can get into a G-car Esprit.

Big drop in power, but it isn't always about that. It is about what car ignites your passion.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Thanks David, I think you have nailed it on the head. Very well said and you make perfect sence. I didnt settle for a 4cly, I think in my mind I was playing it safe but honestly I didnt even look at it the way you spelled it out just now. I got my S4 and went crazy trying to repair and upgrade it to make it as perfect I can without a real regard of cost, I think many of us try to make our older car mimic the newer ones in some fashion or another without even realizing that we do it, but we get cautious about what the V8 will cost down the road, yet we will spend thousands on our 4cly to peserve or update Just ask me,It became an obsession which Im sure many can relate and I really think it might have been cheaper to have just bought a V8 up to this point or at least getting there,cause I keep wanting to upgrade upgrade and upgrade. I just have it in my mind that I want a 1999 or newer Esprit, but to be clear the S4 is a spectacular exotic which anyone should be proud to own
I think the bottom line here is always buy the very best car you can afford. It takes another order of magnitude (in $$$ and time) to make it better, it is ALWAYS cheaper to start with the better one. That being said, no matter how nice the car you buy, it is a used car and there is ALWAYS something to be done! No one ever does well buying a fixer-upper and fixing it up! When the V-8's first came out a lot of owners sold their 4 cyl and "upgraded". Not everyone was happy about it because of the cost and the perceived "heaviness". An S4 or S4s in good tune is more than most drivers can handle anyway. When I was looking for my Lotus I lusted for an S4s. When I realized how few there are and what they cost I looked at the V-8's again and found one. My biggest peeve is the higher cost of parts and maintenance. But I knew it going in. Even so I wasn't prepared for the clutch! Cost me $3K! And that was just for the parts! I did it myself to save the labor and have all of the fun.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hear you Sleek, If I keep my S4 I will get to where you are. being my first exotic I have to admit that its not cheap but less than many other exotic cars by far.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm trying to sell my 1997 Corvette with 350 horsepower/350 lb/ft of torque so I can get into a G-car Esprit.

Big drop in power, but it isn't always about that. It is about what car ignites your passion.
I THINK YOU WILL BE HAPPY WITH AN ESPRIT AND YOU ARE CORRECT ITS ABOUT PASSION

·
Registered
902 Posts
I THINK YOU WILL BE HAPPY WITH AN ESPRIT AND YOU ARE CORRECT ITS ABOUT PASSION
I think so too. My father had several of them when I was very young, so they are the car that started the passion for me.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I've never driven a V8 Lotus, but have been on the track with them. I have driven and owned lots of other V8 cars however like Mustangs, Porsche 928, Vettes.
My 89.5 Esprit is my favorite! (Not counting the Ferrari 458 Italia I drove...Wow!) back to my car....No power steering, no ABS! With a few mods it is fast loud and brakes great. Did I mention Sexy. And actually pretty easy to work on. A hell of a deal on an exotic.

No doubt a V8 Esprit would be fun to own and I May go for one someday, but twice the price to buy and 3-4 times the price to maintain. and even shorter tire life! If I was really rich it would be the Ferrari and the Audi R10

So now I have 3 Esprits! Soon to sell 1 or 2. I'm happy!!

Randy

·
Registered
1,886 Posts

Agreed here. While I admire the V8's performance specs & updates, the G-cars still "do it" for me looks wise. You also spend a lot less on the 4-cylinder lump versus the V8.

My other problem with the V8 is that their purchase costs AND service costs are closer to something like a Ferrari 348/355. Now - I know.... blasphemy! How dare I bring up those silly Italian cars. But, being a fan of all exotics it DOES come into play for many folks. The beauty of the G-cars, especialy the HCi cars is that they are such a good value versus other exotics in the same price range. $18K to $22K gets you an extremely nice, well sorted G-car that you can drive and enjoy all day. That much on a Ferrari gets you a weird-looking, clapped-out 308 GT4 or a two-valve 80-82 308 GTSi/GTBi. Either of which will be in dodgy condition in that price range.

What nice problems to have though....isnt ? V8 Esprit? Late model S4? Ferraris? Life is good, eh boys? :nanner:

·
Registered
327 Posts

You say that as though you'll buy the V8 and just drive it... no upgrades, no improvements, no fiddling with the car at all rotfl

Incase you missed it rotfl rotfl rotfl

rotfl rotfl rotfl

I can see it now;
"Methanol injection to cool the charge, now an intercooler too, might need bigger turbos, need to swap injectors and remap for the added air, should probably upgrade the transaxle, it was already weak for the 350 ponies, I'm thinking some brushed aluminium on the dash and doors, oh, I need a better boast gage, need bigger brakes now with the added power, wondering if I can swap in Brembos... You know what I really like, carbon fiber, needing more front down force... "

I maybe way off base, but I know for certain that is me... :UK:

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
you are right, I know myself and I would probably do the exact same thing find ways to make it my own and improve on items that I think needed them and the cycle continues

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
My way of looking at it is to at least make the car the best it can be before changing anything. By that I mean getting it to run as it was meant to be as stock as possible. Oftentimes before you start down the road of "improvements" you should try to take a look ahead to see where you want to go, what it will take and what you will wind up with when you get there. You may decide that is not the path you want to take. In many cases, if the car is not what you want maybe you should try another before pouring tons of time and money into the one you have trying to make it into something it isn't. The best money you will ever spend is upgrading the driver NOT the car.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The V-8 has a lot of little refinements over the S4 or even the S4s. IMHO the interior is nicer, the shifter has a better mechanism, the A/C works better, the brakes are a LOT better (not the Delco system), the engine management system is a lot more engineered, etc. The biggy IS the motor and it has a LOT more torque. It will lug even at low speed in 5th gear and not bog down. The worst thing anyone can say about the V-8 is that it will cost you more to buy and will cost more to repair. If you track the car it does drive heavier than the 4 cyl, the 4 cyl is probably the better car to track. A major reason a V-8 is more expensive to buy than a 4 cyl is that they are newer and a newer car generally is worth more than an older car all other things being equal. If you have the budget I would go for the V-8 but if I had to settle, an S4 or an S4s is not a bad choice. The most important thing is how any particular car was cared for. A flogged and beat V-8 would not be a good choice over a well cared for S4 for instance. If you are looking for a V-8 I know of a nice one in New Jersey. There is also a VERY yellow (and from what I hear very nice) S4s nearby for sale.
David Teitelbaum
possibly interested in the New Jersey V8 do you know the particulars on it? color combo,service history etc...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 23 Posts