·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
$15k

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
That's true...

But then I hear people saying they find 97+ Esprits for 24-25k... Not sure how that's possible. I've never seen that

Thanks
It's possible.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Depends on condition of mechanicals and cosmetics. High teens to high 20's.
At 60 k the car may or may not need attention to suspension, brakes, turbo, engine, paint and interior, and fuel tanks.
You should check compression for sure.
The status of these items will drive the price of the car.

We are just about finished rebuilding a '94 S4 with 80k that is back on the road and we will be putting up for sale in the next weeks when we have the last couple of items sorted. So we too are trying to determine a fair asking price.

Randy

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Ditto what Randy said, high teens to mid 20's depending on condition.

15K will get you a car needing a lot of work and $

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Really that low? I haven't seen one go that low..

It has 58k miles. New timing belt, tires, brakes, clutch, etc. It seems to have been taken care of. I thought 19-20k would be fair?
As a 17 year old car with 60K miles, expect it still to need a lot of work. If they have replace half the car recently, that means you have another half to go...

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Really that low? I haven't seen one go that low..

It has 58k miles. New timing belt, tires, brakes, clutch, etc. It seems to have been taken care of. I thought 19-20k would be fair?
Yeah really - $15K for what? C'mon.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
860 Posts
I watched the Esprit market for years before I bought mine. $15K is going to buy you a POS!!! I'd stay away from an S4 in that price range unless you are sure it was a winner. I would expect an S4 in great shape and 58K miles to be in the mid $20k range.

Personally, I'd pay more for an S4 or S4S over an early model V8.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I watched the Esprit market for years before I bought mine. $15K is going to buy you a POS!!! I'd stay away from an S4 in that price range unless you are sure it was a winner. I would expect an S4 in great shape and 58K miles to be in the mid $20k range.

Personally, I'd pay more for an S4 or S4S over an early model V8.

I like to drive so I think I can agree with that statement.. Hopefully things will pan out with this Esprit I have my eyes on. Nearing 60k miles is more then I would desire but if the price and service history is right....

·
Registered
259 Posts
Somewhere in the mid-high 20's....would be what I would settle for...

Of course your asking price would be higher...

Good luck.
Jason

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
We are just about finished rebuilding a '94 S4 with 80k that is back on the road and we will be putting up for sale in the next weeks when we have the last couple of items sorted. So we too are trying to determine a fair asking price.

Randy
Rebuilding and selling Esprits would be a passion of mine, but it must be a really really hard way to make money. You would have to pretty much get the car for free to make it worthwhile.

I look at the projects like what Guy does, and what he spends to buy the cars. There's no money left in them after labor and parts. And then they must be very hard to sell with the damage history.

Are you doing this as a living?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I like to drive so I think I can agree with that statement.. Hopefully things will pan out with this Esprit I have my eyes on. Nearing 60k miles is more then I would desire but if the price and service history is right....
I shopped around for 5 years trying to find the right car. In just about every case the low-mile, hardly-used cars were all very pretty cosmetically but they had numerous problems just lurking - waiting for a juvenile buyer to fall in love with the paint job and overpay for the car.

Id would always take the regularly used "driver" and serviced car over the garage queen. You'll pay less for the driver, you'll get more enjoyment out of it, and you'll probably spend less on it too. The only way I'd buy a cream puff would be if I were trying to complete a collection of cars or were trying to flip it right away. Im NOT either of those guys. Im the working-class stiff who has loved the Esprit since I was kid and had to have one. Driving it is akin to enjoying it for me.

If that car checks out and drives nice - buy it. I bet you make out great with it!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I shopped around for 5 years trying to find the right car. In just about every case the low-mile, hardly-used cars were all very pretty cosmetically but they had numerous problems just lurking - waiting for a juvenile buyer to fall in love with the paint job and overpay for the car.

Id would always take the regularly used "driver" and serviced car over the garage queen. You'll pay less for the driver, you'll get more enjoyment out of it, and you'll probably spend less on it too. The only way I'd buy a cream puff would be if I were trying to complete a collection of cars or were trying to flip it right away. Im NOT either of those guys. Im the working-class stiff who has loved the Esprit since I was kid and had to have one. Driving it is akin to enjoying it for me.

If that car checks out and drives nice - buy it. I bet you make out great with it!

I'm not looking for a garage queen with 2k miles I just think getting into one with almost 60k is a bit high considering I will drive it a fair amount... I put 25k miles on my EVO in less than 6 months...

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
I'm not looking for a garage queen with 2k miles I just think getting into one with almost 60k is a bit high considering I will drive it a fair amount... I put 25k miles on my EVO in less than 6 months...
Again, a 17 year old exotic that is close to end of life on most parts at 60K miles would not make a great daily driver of 50K miles per year!

As long as you love the Esprit and set expectations accordingly (cost of parts, labor, downtime -- will all be a lot), you'll be fine.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Again, a 17 year old exotic that is close to end of life on most parts at 60K miles would not make a great daily driver of 50K miles per year!

As long as you love the Esprit and set expectations accordingly (cost of parts, labor, downtime -- will all be a lot), you'll be fine.
It wouldn't be my daily driver. I have had plenty of cars so I know what to expect. The car has been on top of service and a lot of the big ticket items have recently been replaced. I wouldn't say a car with 60k miles is close to it's "end" nor would I call it a exotic :wave:

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I'm starting to seriously hate the internet, and what it's done to the perceived value of some things. There is no reason in the world these cars should be at the low price-point they are at...no way...

A nice S4 should be closer to 30K.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I wouldn't say a car with 60k miles is close to it's "end" nor would I call it a exotic :wave:
Agreed on the 60K comment, totally disagree on the exotic comment. The Esprit is about as exotic as you can get. Limited production, top performance, wild traffic-stopping styling, mid-engine, quirky, british, VERY exotic!

I'm starting to seriously hate the internet, and what it's done to the perceived value of some things. There is no reason in the world these cars should be at the low price-point they are at...no way...

A nice S4 should be closer to 30K.
I agree totally. Its not juts Lotus cars though that get "internetted". Classic Ferrari 308s and the later year Mondials, which are great cars are going for nothing. I blame the internet from a standpoint of people seeing super low prices which are for CRAP cars...but they dont know that. Alls they know is that they hit e-bay and see a nice Esprit going for $14K or a sweet 308 going for $23K and they expect themm all to be priced as such.

Hell - if it came down to selling my '87 Im sure Id be sick at what people would assume they can buy it for, especially with the miles on my car! What a shame.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts